LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Gerald Heyward video interview!!!!  (Read 10398 times)

Offline porkpiepoppa

• LGM Member
  • i can do ALL things phil 4:13*

Re: Gerald Heyward video interview!!!!
« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2006, 01:29:22 PM »
alright i do agree with you on how he was kinda saying he came up with the foot tom thingy and how he said he was the steve gadd of the church but we DO gotta admit that dude aint lost it he STILL bad lol i can listen to gerald and eddie not all day but i would wish i could sit in with them u can learn alot from them.... BUT he seemed pretty coo but he seemed alittle arrogant as well.... but i cant say that cuz he is getting all these gigs so he must be coo i aint never met him yet.. but i was kinda offended by that part cuz NONE of them foos was touchin ma boy reppin the westcoast JOEL SMITH CHANGED the game hands down
<!-- Copied from MySpace.com -->
Find me on MySpace a

Offline bigblackdrummer

• LGM Member
  • Curtis Cyril Bernard
    • http://www.myspace.com/phatcurtisbernard

« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2006, 11:41:19 PM »
alright i do agree with you on how he was kinda saying he came up with the foot tom thingy and how he said he was the steve gadd of the church but we DO gotta admit that dude aint lost it he STILL bad lol i can listen to gerald and eddie not all day but i would wish i could sit in with them u can learn alot from them.... BUT he seemed pretty coo but he seemed alittle arrogant as well.... but i cant say that cuz he is getting all these gigs so he must be coo i aint never met him yet.. but i was kinda offended by that part cuz NONE of them foos was touchin ma boy reppin the westcoast JOEL SMITH CHANGED the game hands down

Hes cool to the artists but arrogant to other drummers who arnt in his friends list!
Mapex Drums, Grant Custom Basses, Carparelli Basses, Istanbul Cymbals,!

Offline porkpiepoppa

• LGM Member
  • i can do ALL things phil 4:13*

« Reply #22 on: October 20, 2006, 02:29:17 AM »
ooooh alright cuz i met eddie and hes REAL REAL REAL coo person so i would think gerald was coo like that too i aint gonna say nothin tho till i meet him cuz people said spanky was arrogant then i met him he jus seems shy lol
<!-- Copied from MySpace.com -->
Find me on MySpace a

Offline eugenio

• LGM Member

« Reply #23 on: October 20, 2006, 03:51:37 AM »
Gerald is one of the nicest guys i've ever met. He's all about the drums. He is still growing as a player and still trying to push his playing. I hope I have the same passion when Im his age.

Offline bigblackdrummer

• LGM Member
  • Curtis Cyril Bernard

« Reply #24 on: October 20, 2006, 08:04:32 AM »
ooooh alright cuz i met eddie and hes REAL REAL REAL coo person so i would think gerald was coo like that too i aint gonna say nothin tho till i meet him cuz people said spanky was arrogant then i met him he jus seems shy lol

Eddie is awesome! Real cool, real cool!

Offline bigblackdrummer

• LGM Member
  • Curtis Cyril Bernard

« Reply #25 on: October 20, 2006, 08:08:13 AM »
Gerald is one of the nicest guys i've ever met. He's all about the drums. He is still growing as a player and still trying to push his playing. I hope I have the same passion when Im his age.

I do admitt Ive never meet him myself BUT Ive heard the same story from several different friends down there.

blaquegenius

« Reply #26 on: October 20, 2006, 11:29:41 AM »
All points are well taken... truthfully I don't even know what I want to say. I think the main thing is, as musicians, we need to have the ability to learn from everybody. Personally Gerald is an influence in my playing as well as a lot of other catz. One thing to keep in mind is that, we didn't hear any of the questions that were asked, which would have been interesting. All in all, I definitely got some good knowledge out of the interview.

Offline BEATBOXERZ

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #27 on: October 20, 2006, 11:56:15 AM »
Good interview! I preach alot of what he was saying to my students!

Offline cdrums116

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #28 on: October 24, 2006, 06:17:05 PM »
Hey Guys, it's Calvin. I wanted to reply to this topic because I wanted to make sure we don't get the wrong impression, with what G was trying to say. Gerald is like a brother to me. He's known me since I was a teenager. I've admired his work looooong before I ever met him. If we're all honest, we'd have to admit that those of us who were actually playing when "Alright Now and Oh Lord We Praise You"(I'm saying this because I'm starting to realize that to some....I'm becoming an old man. Even tho I'm only 26)came out, we immediately went straight to the the set! When I heard those songs as a kid, I didn't know anything about Steve Gadd, Dave Weckl or anyone else. I was straight up church! I knew Dana Davis, Bill Maxwell, and Joel Smith. Joel was(is) my favorite. But none of those guys were playing like that!!! It was a sound I'd never heard before. It sparked creativity and made me work harder on my foot. Now, when you hear drummers like Weckl, Vinnie, man....anybody, talk about the first time they heard Steely Dan's "Aja", they say the same thing. I think this is what Gerald was trying to say. People credit him with revolutionizing gospel drumming. And in my eyes, he did! When I heard those songs, it changed my whole approach. I can honestly say that I'm sure I wouldn't be the drummer I am, without the the influence of Gerald Heyward. And that's what Steve Gadd did. Some people credit Tony Williams for revolutionizing drums. In our world, you'll hear the names Kevin Brunson and Ray Bady or Dana Davis, Mike Williams or Joe Bruce, if you're from the midwest. East coast, Gerald Heyward and Jeff Davis. West coast...Joel Smith or Mike Nueble. And that's not even including the guys that played locally or at our churches! Whichever way we see it, let's embrace our brother who is one of our own. I happen to know that G is a happily married man, who promotes fidelity. He's an active member at his church. And he does sooooo much to help gospel drummers get the recognition that we rightly deserve.
Holla~
C. Rodgers
It's all for the love yall....
C. Rodgers
It's All For The Love Yall.....

Offline bigblackdrummer

• LGM Member
  • Curtis Cyril Bernard

« Reply #29 on: October 25, 2006, 05:04:22 PM »
Hey Guys, it's Calvin. I wanted to reply to this topic because I wanted to make sure we don't get the wrong impression, with what G was trying to say. Gerald is like a brother to me. He's known me since I was a teenager. I've admired his work looooong before I ever met him. If we're all honest, we'd have to admit that those of us who were actually playing when "Alright Now and Oh Lord We Praise You"(I'm saying this because I'm starting to realize that to some....I'm becoming an old man. Even tho I'm only 26)came out, we immediately went straight to the the set! When I heard those songs as a kid, I didn't know anything about Steve Gadd, Dave Weckl or anyone else. I was straight up church! I knew Dana Davis, Bill Maxwell, and Joel Smith. Joel was(is) my favorite. But none of those guys were playing like that!!! It was a sound I'd never heard before. It sparked creativity and made me work harder on my foot. Now, when you hear drummers like Weckl, Vinnie, man....anybody, talk about the first time they heard Steely Dan's "Aja", they say the same thing. I think this is what Gerald was trying to say. People credit him with revolutionizing gospel drumming. And in my eyes, he did! When I heard those songs, it changed my whole approach. I can honestly say that I'm sure I wouldn't be the drummer I am, without the the influence of Gerald Heyward. And that's what Steve Gadd did. Some people credit Tony Williams for revolutionizing drums. In our world, you'll hear the names Kevin Brunson and Ray Bady or Dana Davis, Mike Williams or Joe Bruce, if you're from the Midwest. East coast, Gerald Heyward and Jeff Davis. West coast...Joel Smith or Mike Noble. And that's not even including the guys that played locally or at our churches! Whichever way we see it, let's embrace our brother who is one of our own. I happen to know that G is a happily married man, who promotes fidelity. He's an active member at his church. And he does sooooo much to help gospel drummers get the recognition that we rightly deserve.
Holla~
C. Rodgers
It's all for the love ya....

I agree with you with most of what you're saying BUT guys like Dana Davis, Bill Maxwell and others were the real ones who changed the face of gospel drumming long before Gerald was on the scene! Try to find stuff from the 70's and listen to the drummers.....Brushes, bearly there, terrible timing, on and on! But when Bill, Dana, Kevin came on the scene things changed! I started playing back in 84 and Im not that much older then you and I can tell you, I was trying to be those guys long before Gerald! Yes Gerald took it to another level but to say Steve Gadd heck no! Gerald just fell in the line of progression, just like you and me...Let me explain;

Gospel drumming sucked.....then came Bill Maxwell (Bill was a beast for his time!) and Joel Smith.......Progression.......Dana Davis, Kevin Brunson, Mike Knuble....Progression.....Gerald (Others were playing like him but he just had the most exposure!).....Progression.....Big Mike Clemons.....Progression.......Guys like You.........Progression.......Aaron Spears.......Now all the young kids try to play like Aaron and are copying his style.....Progression.....Future till Jesus comes!..... You are being called old now because everyone has learned your licks and Aaron Spears is the new thing, just like me and you with Gerald heyward licks!  Gadd is Gadd and even Gerald is a product of Gadd!!!! Gerald the Steve Gadd of gospel drumming heck no! Its almost like he blasphemed !!!!!

Eccentric-Rhythm

« Reply #30 on: October 25, 2006, 05:24:35 PM »
I gotta be honest, Gerald was never an influence on my playing, because I never heard of him until I came here....

I guess I am one of the few??

Offline cdrums116

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #31 on: October 25, 2006, 06:12:41 PM »
I agree with you with most of what you're saying BUT guys like Dana Davis, Bill Maxwell and others were the real ones who changed the face of gospel drumming long before Gerald was on the scene! Try to find stuff from the 70's and listen to the drummers.....Brushes, bearly there, terrible timing, on and on! But when Bill, Dana, Kevin came on the scene things changed! I started playing back in 84 and Im not that much older then you and I can tell you, I was trying to be those guys long before Gerald! Yes Gerald took it to another level but to say Steve Gadd heck no! Gerald just fell in the line of progression, just like you and me...Let me explain;

Gospel drumming sucked.....then came Bill Maxwell (Bill was a beast for his time!) and Joel Smith.......Progression.......Dana Davis, Kevin Brunson, Mike Knuble....Progression.....Gerald (Others were playing like him but he just had the most exposure!).....Progression.....Big Mike Clemons.....Progression.......Guys like You.........Progression.......Aaron Spears.......Now all the young kids try to play like Aaron and are copying his style.....Progression.....Future till Jesus comes!..... You are being called old now because everyone has learned your licks and Aaron Spears is the new thing, just like me and you with Gerald heyward licks!  Gadd is Gadd and even Gerald is a product of Gadd!!!! Gerald the Steve Gadd of gospel drumming heck no! Its almost like he blasphemed !!!!!
BBD...I gotta disagree! First of all, I'll say again that before those two Hezekiah Walker albums came out, no one in gospel was playing like that. Yes Dana and Bill were two drummers who changed the game up, I'll agree with you there. But in my opinion, Gerald took it to another level. And I still say that we are misunderstanding exactly what Gerald was trying to say. I don't think he was comparing himself, in greatness, to Steve Gadd. He was kinda making an analogy. You said that "Gerald just fell in the line of progression". But in order to be in that line, you gotta have something to say musically. In essence, it seems to me that you're saying that he was only recognized because of a time frame. I don't know much about gospel drumming before Bill Maxwell and Joel Smith. But I do know that they had to be inspired as well!! Someone or something was played and caused these two, and others, to think outside the norm for that time.
As far what me being old, I kinda think it's because I've been on the scene since I was about 12 or 13. I have gone from a kid to an adult, right in front of the industry. It seems like a long time, and to an extent, it has been. But I started young. You said "me and you just fell in a line of progression"....that's kinda wack in my opinion. I don't know about you, but I don't want to be anywhere just because time permits me to. I wanna be there because I deserve to be. I'm a drummer, and have worked hard to be what whatever I am. I believe that hard work pays off. I don't want some to recognize me because I showed up at a certain time. If people want to say I set a standard, I want them to mean just that. Don't say I set a standard because I was around when others were setting them. That make any sense to you guys?
C. Rodgers
It's All For The Love Yall.....

Offline BEATBOXERZ

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

Re: Gerald Heyward
« Reply #32 on: October 25, 2006, 06:51:15 PM »
Agreed fully! I was kind of ticked of at the interview...Why is he self proclaiming hes the Steve Gadd of Gospel drumming! Steve single handedly started a new revolution in drumming across the world that everybody had to have him! Gerald didnt! It was the working of people like Dana Davis, Jeff Davis, Kevin Brunson and Gerald who raised the bar and raised Gospel drumming to where it is! As for the sound in R&B Stokely was killing it on Mint Condition long before Gerald was big in the R&B world and listen to the stuff he was doing its not Geraldesk at all! Gerald was a big influence but he was no Steve Gadd and I was offended he said that! (He just sounded more pro then most of us at the time and we saw how to use the kick and toms to sound like we have a machine gun foot!) He disrespected so many other gospel drumming greats by his statement!!! But that was classic Gerald! Also again if you ever had the chance to see J. Haynes back in the early 90's he was killin Gerald in every way!
Stokely is my dude, and you are CORRECT!!!

Offline bigblackdrummer

• LGM Member
  • Curtis Cyril Bernard

« Reply #33 on: October 25, 2006, 09:46:42 PM »
BBD...I gotta disagree! First of all, I'll say again that before those two Hezekiah Walker albums came out, no one in gospel was playing like that. Yes Dana and Bill were two drummers who changed the game up, I'll agree with you there. But in my opinion, Gerald took it to another level. And I still say that we are misunderstanding exactly what Gerald was trying to say. I don't think he was comparing himself, in greatness, to Steve Gadd. He was kinda making an analogy. You said that "Gerald just fell in the line of progression". But in order to be in that line, you gotta have something to say musically. In essence, it seems to me that you're saying that he was only recognized because of a time frame. I don't know much about gospel drumming before Bill Maxwell and Joel Smith. But I do know that they had to be inspired as well!! Someone or something was played and caused these two, and others, to think outside the norm for that time.
As far what me being old, I kinda think it's because I've been on the scene since I was about 12 or 13. I have gone from a kid to an adult, right in front of the industry. It seems like a long time, and to an extent, it has been. But I started young. You said "me and you just fell in a line of progression"....that's kinda wack in my opinion. I don't know about you, but I don't want to be anywhere just because time permits me to. I wanna be there because I deserve to be. I'm a drummer, and have worked hard to be what whatever I am. I believe that hard work pays off. I don't want some to recognize me because I showed up at a certain time. If people want to say I set a standard, I want them to mean just that. Don't say I set a standard because I was around when others were setting them. That make any sense to you guys?

Let me start of by saying man I do respect your drumming and what you have brought to Gospel drumming...As for you being 25 I dont know cause you told me you were that age two three years ago when I saw you with Fred Hammond in Toronto.. ;D Anyway I have to disagree with you! You're wrong! There were other drummers playing like Gerald before those two Hezekiah Walker albums came out, again they didnt have the exposer that Gerald had doing albums and touring with Hezekiah! Again like I said previously, One of the first times Gerald came to Toronto some light skin guy came with him who was doing all the same licks he was.....Who was that guy? Who knows!!!

I do admit he changed the way our generation looks at Gospel drumming WHY!? No one known was playing like him at the time......Progression! Progression does not mean you are a has been not at all but for real, you aint doing the things Aaron is doing so for today and this time in progression he set the new standard! Like us with Gerald all the kids now are trying to be Aaron, just watch You Tube and you'll see what I mean. I think your playing is getting better as you get older, you are becoming seasoned and I really enjoy listening to you play! When I said "me and you just fell in a line of progression"....I mean in the Gerald time frame, that's why we were more influenced by him then any other Gospel drummer (Trust me, I use to get up before school and watch the boot leg videos...Audio tape the bootlegs and play them in my Walkman on the way to school...Practice at lunch and after school to the boot legs.....Walk home listening to the boot legs....come home fight my brothers fore the TV to watch the boot legs or practice in my basement...so yo! No one was a bigger Gerald fan then me!)

Ill use you as an example! Until rain on us who really knew you!? You might have had some what of a name in Chicago (sp?) But world wide heck no! The solos and your licks in the time of progression (in Gospel) so like Gerald was to us you were to another generation....like Aaron is to this generation...Do you see what Im saying!? Sorry man, I aint scaird of Aaron but I know in a competition Id have to practice...and you too!

Offline bigblackdrummer

• LGM Member
  • Curtis Cyril Bernard

« Reply #34 on: October 25, 2006, 09:53:51 PM »
Stokely is my dude, and you are CORRECT!!!

Ya man everyone forgets he came out with the R&B drumming of today before anyone else! That was Stokley on most of the Mint Condition songs from back in the day!!! Gerald gave us fast licks but Stokley taught us how to play the stuff with groove, creativity and finesse (Musicality)!

Offline BEATBOXERZ

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #35 on: October 26, 2006, 10:38:02 AM »
Ya man everyone forgets he came out with the R&B drumming of today before anyone else! That was Stokley on most of the Mint Condition songs from back in the day!!! Gerald gave us fast licks but Stokley taught us how to play the stuff with groove, creativity and finesse (Musicality)!
I'm playing all that old Mint Condition in my truck today! Stokely is the truth and did it way before Gerald, and tastefully too.

JFunky

« Reply #36 on: October 26, 2006, 11:00:04 AM »
...wow!!! Thanks BBD and Calvin.  I learned something new today.  I've got to purchase those old Mint Condition CD's.

...it's funny how I didn't know anything about Stokley or Chris Dave when I was a teen and when "Pretty Brown Eyes" was on the radio, I would just "Air Drum" my butt off to that song. :D 

Stokley and Chris Dave are the TRUTH

j_kay

« Reply #37 on: October 26, 2006, 11:12:19 AM »
Caveat emptor: there isn't live drumming on every track of the Mint CDs.  The ones that does feature live drums are nice. 

cdrums116: I still have that "Halleujah" CD from back in the day (not that far, though).  I remember when Oscar (Seaton) used to play for Soul Children and was the hotness back in the day, as well as the every third Sunday concert taht the Tommies used to put at the chuuch...  Were you there when Teddy killed it at the Chicago Mass recording in '96 (at Kennedy-King)?  Wow (enough said)...  Enough of the rambling.  I just wanted to go thorugh memory lane with ya...     ;D

One time for the Midwest drummers!

Offline bigblackdrummer

• LGM Member
  • Curtis Cyril Bernard

« Reply #38 on: October 26, 2006, 05:49:17 PM »
Caveat emptor: there isn't live drumming on every track of the Mint CDs.  The ones that does feature live drums are nice. 

cdrums116: I still have that "Halleujah" CD from back in the day (not that far, though).  I remember when Oscar (Seaton) used to play for Soul Children and was the hotness back in the day, as well as the every third Sunday concert taht the Tommies used to put at the chuuch...  Were you there when Teddy killed it at the Chicago Mass recording in '96 (at Kennedy-King)?  Wow (enough said)...  Enough of the rambling.  I just wanted to go thorugh memory lane with ya...     ;D

One time for the Midwest drummers!

WHAT Oscar (Seaton)! Was that who the dark guy with the gloves were from back in the early 90's!? Yo my school here in Canada did a jazz festival and conpetition in Chicago around 91-92 and I picked up the Soul Children video.......I always wondered what happened to that drummer! I loved the way he played.

j_kay

« Reply #39 on: October 26, 2006, 06:04:28 PM »
Skinny dude, yeah...  He's still on the scene!  He was a major force in the voice of drumming back int he day in the Chi (amongst others).
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up