LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Ever have a problem that lead you to become "creative"?  (Read 661 times)

Offline shall176

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • www.angiehallmusic.com
    • AngieHallMusic

Ever have a problem that lead you to become "creative"?
« on: October 17, 2006, 12:23:34 PM »
A couple of things happened recently that lead me to "improvise".  i am sure this happens to all of us, and in some cases, either lead to a discovery that we would encorporate again, or something that is just awful and would be good for a laugh later on.  If you have a story of this please share.

Two things happened recently.  One good, and one not so good.  #1, I have a gig during the week in which I play percussion and the kit.  I spend the night hoping between the two since some of the songs we do sound better on congas, and some on the kit.  If I play the kit though, I hear percussion rythms, and vice versa.  Well I was late from work, so I rushed home, and threw everything in the car.  When I got there, I had forgotten my snare stand.  So i brainstornmed, and ended up keeping the bass drum, the hi hat, a ride, and put my congas where the snare an floor tom would be.  So I played hi hat with my left foot, like 3:2 clave, or just quarters or eighths, bass dum with the right foot, and the congas with my hands, unless my right hand played tamborine or the ride.  I was able to play the backbeat with a conga slap, so in essense I was able to sound as though there was a drum set and a percussionist playing together.  I will definitely do that again.

On the flip side, playing percussion at church, the drummer broke the foot pedal.  I stopped playing percussion and tried to fix the pedal.  The piece that holds the beater in place had snapped, and was still in the pedal so there was no way to keep it in.  I forced the beater stem back in the pedal, but it popped right off again.  We were in the middle of a high energy song, and with no bass drum, so I picked up the floor tom, got a mallett and started playing it like a surdo just trying to give us a bass drum pattern.  That was a mistake.  We would have been better off with no bass drum pattern at all.  It sounded awful, and everyone was looking over at me.  Some with screwed up faces, and others just laughing at the whole situation.  Well...some ideas work and some don't.
Check it out...
http://www.angiehallmusic.com
& follow @angiehallmusic  on twitter

HustleMan

Re: Ever have a problem that lead you to become "creative"?
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2006, 12:38:57 PM »
Actually, this past sunday I was playing and the beater came out.  It didn't break though.  I guess It was just loose, so it came out.

I couldn't stop to fix it because the song was over and there was a High Praise, so I was just soloing at that point.

I quickly reached over to my toms and put the Aqua Rings on the Floor tom (so it had 3 Aqua Rings instead of 1) to deaden the sound a little bit.  I tried to use the floor tom as a Bass drum but, as you alluded to, a Floor tom just ISN'T a Bass drum.

I wound up abandoning that bad idea and just soloing without a bass drum.  I still pressed the bass pedal though.  It's like a reflex.   :D

Offline pdpguy

• LGM Member

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2006, 01:00:48 PM »
funny you would mention this. sunday i wa;s playing and the kick head busted. i haven't broke a bass drum head in about 8 years. i just replace them because they're old. they never bust though. well this sunda y it did. the church just got a roland fantom X7 (the one with drum pads on the side). the sax player had to play the drum pad (kick) until i got the kick head changed 2 songs later. its always good to havee a xtra.

JFunky

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2006, 01:30:52 PM »
     Ever have a problem that lead you to become "creative"?

...history shows that the only way to become creative is to have a problem or have an error on an experiment which will then lead you to something else.  Many inventions were made off of a problem or mistake.  EX: - Chocalate Chip Cookies, Peanut Butter. (Black History Month Facts People) ;)

...drumming wise, when you get into the "woodshed" by yourself and start experimenting and finding out who you are, you will stumble on many things and come up with new and original things. (creativity)  Even in "Live" situations.

Sidenote: Div. is always stating how Chris Dave would lock himself away for weeks with no Phone Calls or outside visits.  You already know how Chris plays....creativity to the max.  I'm sure he's had many problems.

Offline shall176

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • www.angiehallmusic.com
    • AngieHallMusic

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2006, 01:41:21 PM »
necesity is the mother of invention.....
Check it out...
http://www.angiehallmusic.com
& follow @angiehallmusic  on twitter

JFunky

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2006, 01:52:23 PM »
necesity is the mother of invention.....

...yeah, I forgot to put that one in my last statement. :-[  That's a different Thread though. ;)

Offline bigblackdrummer

• LGM Member
  • Curtis Cyril Bernard
    • http://www.myspace.com/phatcurtisbernard

« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2006, 02:25:00 PM »
Hahahaha NEXT!
Mapex Drums, Grant Custom Basses, Carparelli Basses, Istanbul Cymbals,!
Pages: [1]   Go Up