LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: A Thought For "Drummers"...  (Read 13919 times)

LilWes

Re: A Thought For "Drummers"...
« Reply #20 on: October 20, 2006, 04:39:05 PM »
I feel you on that Maestro. I'm somewhat of a novice drummer. I was one of those that tried to imitate a Calvin Rodgers or Mike Clemmons fancy fill. I think that has delayed my growth as a drummer. I can do a little bit when it comes down to fancy fills, but when it comes to a straight groove or straight pocket playing, or even just understanding the craft of drums, I struggle sometimes due to the ignorance I had when I first began. Much props on the post, I believe GOD is telling me to focus more on the craft of musicianship and playing the drums whether than youtube clips of sheds and etc...

to be forreal im going through that right now so uh pray for me  :-X :-\ :'(

Offline smarkland38

• LGM Member
    • myspace.com

« Reply #21 on: October 22, 2006, 08:40:19 PM »
Good word of wisdom Div
I CAN DO ALL THINGS THROUGH CHRIST THAT STRENGTHENS ME!!!

www.myspace.com/sidmark

Offline Cherri

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Imperial Majesty! $200,000...

« Reply #22 on: October 23, 2006, 09:48:28 AM »
What can I $ay Juanita Bynum is my cicerone.

Offline jax19

• LGM Member
    • JAX DRUMZ

« Reply #23 on: October 24, 2006, 06:18:39 PM »
i appreciate the post its 100% true
JAX

Yaggles

« Reply #24 on: October 28, 2006, 09:07:54 AM »
I'm 15 years old and I have been playing for 5 years, well, almost 6 years, 3 of which were with a church praise team and with a youth group praise team. I learned early on (actually I never really had the idea) that drums were only for doing big solos. They are made to keep the beat, and if you can make some cool rhythms and stay on beat at the same time (of course, you have to put them in at the right time), then more power to you!

Well, my first post, signing out!

-David

Offline SabianKnight

• LGM Member
  • Art by C1... Thanx Bruh!

« Reply #25 on: October 28, 2006, 09:41:52 AM »
I'm 15 years old and I have been playing for 5 years, well, almost 6 years, 3 of which were with a church praise team and with a youth group praise team. I learned early on (actually I never really had the idea) that drums were only for doing big solos. They are made to keep the beat, and if you can make some cool rhythms and stay on beat at the same time (of course, you have to put them in at the right time), then more power to you!

Well, my first post, signing out!

-David

The drums/drumset were not created to keep the "beat". That is a total falsehood. The drums were created to communicate through rhythm (do your research). The drumset is a polyrhythmic multi-percussion kit. It was created to allow one person to play multiple percussion pieces to play 2 or more rhythms simultaneously (polyrhythms) created by African (American) slaves applying European drum construction ti African drum ensembles in what is termed "jazz" music. At no point was it meant to "keep the beat".

In musical terms, the "beat" is the notational pulse of the music. If you are playing in 4 (C) common time the "beat" is the is the quarter note. If you are playing in 8 time the 8th note gets the beat. If you are playing in 16 (like Virgil Donati, Thomas Lang, Marco Minneman etc) the 16th note gets the beat and so on.

When playing muisc we are playing various subdivisions of note values (space/time) that create a rhythm. We are not playing beats. That is  a now all too often perverted slang that in misunderstood by so-called/would-be musicians whom most times cannot rightly divide a quarter note. The drumset/trap set (contraption set)/drum kit/multi-percussion set (termed by Max Roach)/drum choir (termed by Elvin Jones) is and always was created to be a polyrhythmic/multi limbed coordinated independence that communicated through rhythm and relatively pitch voices in a consistant manner. Since the creationof the sock cymbal (now called the hi-hat) it has required all for limbed. The drum set incorparate dance technique (as a vast number of the erly drumset players were tap dancers - ie. heel-toe etc) and military precision from European march influence and uniformity/oneness of sound in mind, body and spirit from it's African heritage.

The purpose of the drumset in music is to rhythmically support and communicate the melodic message in song. It is not to keep a beat. It is however required to be consistent in its presentation.     
Try not to become a person of success but rather a person of VALUE. - T. Harv Eker

Offline drummer4thelord

• LGM Member

« Reply #26 on: October 28, 2006, 09:51:01 AM »
Ok I see your point and I sort of agree. You don't need drums to keep a beat, and you don't need a beat when you're playing drums (necessarily; some drum solos that I have seen have no sort of beat whatsoever) and I guess drums weren't created for the specific purpose to keep the beat. But that is what they do. They may have not been made for it, but they do help keep the beat. The bassist and guitarists also have to keep the beat in their head just in case the drummer gets off, and vice-versa.

So yeah, I see where you're coming from and I guess I wasn't clear explaining what I was trying to say.

Offline drummer4thelord

• LGM Member

« Reply #27 on: October 28, 2006, 09:52:41 AM »
And since there's no edit button, I'm required to double post.

I just need to say that I registered as Yaggles but didn't want to use that name so I closed Yaggles account and am now using this one, just to clear things up. ;)

Cheers!
-David

Offline SabianKnight

• LGM Member

« Reply #28 on: October 28, 2006, 11:22:45 AM »
And since there's no edit button, I'm required to double post.

I just need to say that I registered as Yaggles but didn't want to use that name so I closed Yaggles account and am now using this one, just to clear things up. ;)

Cheers!
-David

Welcome to LGM!

My previous response to your Yaggles post was to inform and expand us as musicians not to per say put anyone on blast (just so that is clear to everyone).
Try not to become a person of success but rather a person of VALUE. - T. Harv Eker

Offline drummer4thelord

• LGM Member

« Reply #29 on: October 28, 2006, 04:58:31 PM »
Yeah, it's all good. Thanks for the welcome! :)

Offline depondrums

• LGM Member
  • GOD IS THE ONE AND ONLY JUDGE........

« Reply #30 on: October 29, 2006, 09:07:23 PM »
SOMEBODY LOOK AT YOUR NEIGHBOR AND SAY "THAT MAN RIGHT THERE JUST PREACHED A GLORY WORD!"

OHHHHHHHHH,  HOBABABOSHA HECOMENAHONDA........AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHA HAHAHA!!!!

That's a good word Div!   I appreciate the jewels that you just dropped bruh.
I PLAY TO THE GLORY OF GOD........

Offline crazyfoot

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #31 on: November 03, 2006, 12:27:12 PM »
Say a word SIRRRRRRRR! ;D 8)

Offline Lady_drummer06

• LGM Member
  • Musik is my life...Take it away and im dead...

« Reply #32 on: November 07, 2006, 06:59:35 PM »
i dont call myself a drummer.i c that as a insult @ tymes.i call myself a purcussionist...(that might not b spelled rite) or a muscian...
Practice makes u better...Nobody's perfect

LilWes

« Reply #33 on: November 07, 2006, 09:04:09 PM »
i dont call myself a drummer.i c that as a insult @ tymes.i call myself a purcussionist...(that might not b spelled rite) or a muscian...
i can agree wit that that sounds good ;D

Offline SabianKnight

• LGM Member

« Reply #34 on: November 08, 2006, 12:36:56 AM »

As my second band teacher taught me "... Don't be a drummer, drummer's are dumb. Drummer's BEAT on things. Percussionist play their instruments" and music.  Walk it out Lady_drummer06. Show folk how it's done!

JFunky

« Reply #35 on: May 16, 2007, 07:33:00 AM »
...bump.  This is great stuff.  What "Div" stated here goes hand in hand with the May Edition of M.D. Russ Miller Article.

...Russ Miller states that........nevermind.  Read it. lol

Offline Hotsticks1

• LGM Member
  • Welcome to my world...
    • Myspace

« Reply #36 on: May 16, 2007, 09:38:19 AM »
I hear what you're saying coming from a gospel drummer who prides himself on playing with the band but what about the Dave Weckls, and the Vinnies, the Mike Portnoys and the Steve Gadds that do clinics and solo, what are they considered? ?/? ?/? ?/?
"If thine enemy wrong thee...Buy each of his children a drum"

Offline yamahaboy

• LGM Member
  • I Love Jewels!!

« Reply #37 on: May 16, 2007, 11:42:40 AM »
As most of you know, The "Drummer" is the main attraction of the band because people feel that they bring exitement!... As a musician I feel that percussionist should be so well seasoned that they bring out what the other musicians are playing.... If that makes sense!! 8) :-\ :)
Richard

Offline dude-on-drums

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • www.kevinhayden.net
    • Kevin Hayden

« Reply #38 on: May 16, 2007, 12:19:38 PM »
.......yyyeaahh.   ::)  I'm still a drummer.  You guys kill me with all these titles!  I'm a percussionist!  I'm a musician!  I'm a drum player!  I'm a drum set musician!   :D

JFunky

« Reply #39 on: May 16, 2007, 12:53:01 PM »
.......yyyeaahh.   ::)  I'm still a drummer.  You guys kill me with all these titles!  I'm a percussionist!  I'm a musician!  I'm a drum player!  I'm a drum set musician!   :D

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up