LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Right or wrong music  (Read 3997 times)

Offline visionmike

• LGM Member

Right or wrong music
« on: October 17, 2006, 11:08:59 PM »
I have always enjoyed various styles of music. Jazz, rap, classical and of course gospel. The discussion came up at work about gospel hip-hop and gospel jazz. The "old school" saints felt that I was wrong for saying that nothing was wrong with those styles of music. I believe that it is what comes out of the mouth is what defiles.In other words, its the message in the song that makes it right or wrong. LGM family, what are your thoughts?
In everything you do, ALWAYS put God 1st!

Offline KurzLand

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

Re: Right or wrong music
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2006, 05:55:16 PM »
I think it's the message that makes it wrong, not the music.
"Experience is not what happens to a man; it is what a man does with what happens to him." -A.Huxley

Offline Wolfram

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My dog Bear (125lbs of Luv)
    • Wolfram a/k/a Don Zlaty

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2006, 08:25:34 AM »
It is more than the lyrics.  It is the attitude and intent.  You can sing about God and be bored out of your mind.  This is not gloifying HIS name.  The key is in the passion you put in the performance.

On a personal note:

I play as a merc for quite a few cover bands in my local area.  It is the way I make my living.  I will not play in rap groups or heavy rock groups.  The lyrics and the performances tend to lean toward the filthy way of living.  I can witness to anyone, but even I am afraid to go into some of these places alone, armed with only a sax and a bible.  ;)

Offline Cherri

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Imperial Majesty! $200,000...

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2006, 01:57:42 PM »
Music is music. Words are words. There's a lot of gospel songs formualted from different genres. The words are just altered to suit the gospel form. So, I think it comes does to the exposition.
What can I $ay Juanita Bynum is my cicerone.

Offline ndel

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2006, 09:20:49 PM »
Quote from: Wolfram link=topic=34912.msg273553#msg273553 date=1161264334
I play as a[font=Verdana
merc [/font]for quite a few cover bands in my local area.  It is the way I make my living.  I will not play in rap groups or heavy rock groups.  The lyrics and the performances tend to lean toward the filthy way of living.  I can witness to anyone, but even I am afraid to go into some of these places alone, armed with only a sax and a bible.  ;)

what is that?

Offline ndel

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2006, 09:22:13 PM »

what is a merc

Offline Wolfram

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2006, 08:09:42 AM »
musician for hire = merc (mercenary)  ;D

Offline Cherri

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Imperial Majesty! $200,000...

« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2006, 08:31:15 AM »
musician for hire = merc (mercenary)  ;D

I thought so...
What can I $ay Juanita Bynum is my cicerone.

Offline dfwkeys

• LGM Member

« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2006, 08:48:11 AM »
The bible says that we are given power in the tounge of life and death, and we should only speak things that are blessings and not of curses, it never sd anything about music being a temptation, a weight, or a sin.  I really don't get where people come up with the conclusion that secular music is wrong.  If a married couple going on their honey moon, i don't think they will be listening to "Lord Make Me Over" by Tonex... if music was so evil or sinful then we need to take the shouting music out of church, because it was developed from the jitterbug swing dancing era... but nobody wants to mention that, however, like i sd, there is nothing wrong w/ music.  i believe most of this conservative thinking comes from the traditional people that used to think that everything that was secular would send you to hell.

Offline pdpguy

• LGM Member

« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2006, 01:31:47 PM »
however, like i sd, there is nothing wrong w/ music.  i believe most of this conservative thinking comes from the traditional people that used to think that everything that was secular would send you to hell.

its this free thinking that is the reason that "Not everyone who says 'Lord, Lord' will enter the kingdom of heaven." (Matthew 7:21)

the church has become too tolerant. Paul tells us (2 Timothy 4:3-4) that in the end men are going to turn away from sound doctrine, and turn their hearts toward the things that suit their desires better. they'll turn away from the truth. call me traditional, call me a fanatic, but in the middle of all that you can definitely call me HEAVEN-BOUND!!

whoever keeps writing in about these "right or wrong music" topics, stop trying to keep from doing what the Lord is dealing with you about. if God is telling you to pull away from something, don't make the mistake of checking with man to see what he thinks. "Let God be True but every man a liar." (Romans 3:4)

i'm not trying to make anyone mad. i just say what the Bible says. i'm done preaching for today.

Offline dfwkeys

• LGM Member

« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2006, 02:28:05 PM »

its this free thinking that is the reason that "Not everyone who says 'Lord, Lord' will enter the kingdom of heaven." (Matthew 7:21)

I totally agree, but the topic was, is it right or wrong; i.e. sin or no sin, aka: will  you go to hell for it?  The only thing that has power to make us sin is the words that we speak, because we either speak it in blessings or speak of it as cursing, (as the bible defines it) cursing can be used as anything that is negative like for instance saying, " that child is bad" If someone wants to refrain away from secular music, there is nothing wrong with that, as well as listening to it.. what becomes wrong is the lyrical content.  and the influence it has behind it - meaning your intentions behind it.  If there is a certain genre of music that causes you get be in a lustful mood, then i agree that you should refrain from it because we are told to lay down every weight, but also anything else can be a weight, basically if we cannot control ourselves about something rather it's food, t.v. etc.. it's a weight.  I just think it's funny, that most people will talk about secular music but will go see a rated R movie, that not only has secular music, but foul, language, and is also foul to the eye.  Read 1 corinthians 6: 9, 10

9Know ye not that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Be not deceived: neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor abusers of themselves with mankind,

10Nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners, shall inherit the kingdom of God

these are the ones who will not enter, i didn't see anything about listening to secular music... I don't think our God is that mean.

Offline pdpguy

• LGM Member

« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2006, 04:00:45 PM »

I just think it's funny, that most people will talk about secular music but will go see a rated R movie, that not only has secular music, but foul, language, and is also foul to the eye.  Read 1 corinthians 6: 9, 10

9Know ye not that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Be not deceived: neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor abusers of themselves with mankind,

10Nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners, shall inherit the kingdom of God

these are the ones who will not enter, i didn't see anything about listening to secular music... I don't think our God is that mean.

i agree with that first statement. the only reason i didn't bother any of the other media used to deceive us and pull us away from God is because this a music site. but i believe the enemy is using ALL media to influence and persuade and otherwise "enlighten" us so that we'll CHOOSE to walk away from God.

but, tell me this, how do you think people become like those who are on the "uninvited" Corinthians list? you don't think the music has ANYTHING to do with it? to be honest. . . i listen to jazz. . . instrumental only. . . from artists who as far as i can tell are not into anything crazy. some people's stuff that i've heard i will never listen to again, because their music didn't sit well with me. the problem with this is that everybody is not wise enough to put away what's not right for them. and we should be careful not to make ungodly things okay to people who are weak. Paul also tells us about leading our brothers into falling (1 Corinthians 8:1-13). gotta go.

Offline dfwkeys

• LGM Member

« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2006, 03:03:25 PM »
i agree with that first statement. the only reason i didn't bother any of the other media used to deceive us and pull us away from God is because this a music site. but i believe the enemy is using ALL media to influence and persuade and otherwise "enlighten" us so that we'll CHOOSE to walk away from God.

but, tell me this, how do you think people become like those who are on the "uninvited" Corinthians list? you don't think the music has ANYTHING to do with it? to be honest. . . i listen to jazz. . . instrumental only. . . from artists who as far as i can tell are not into anything crazy. some people's stuff that i've heard i will never listen to again, because their music didn't sit well with me. the problem with this is that everybody is not wise enough to put away what's not right for them. and we should be careful not to make ungodly things okay to people who are weak. Paul also tells us about leading our brothers into falling (1 Corinthians 8:1-13). gotta go.

Is listening to secular music in your own house that doesn't demote God, is that going to lead anyone to fall. Listening to romantic love songs with your husband or wife in the privacy of your home, i guess that's wrong.  So i guess whenever i get married and it's time to set the mood, i'll put in Fred hammond or Kirk Franklin... come on now; remember we live under grace, people now a days still think that they are living under the law. i'm not saying to take advantage of it, but sometimes we run a lot of people away from christiananity because we are always telling them what they cannot do, instead of living a wonderful christian life and letting them know what they can do.  Think about it, when Jesus walked on Earth, he always preached about something better and what they can do that is better then what they are doing now.  This topic can go on and on forever, because everyone is entitled to their on opinion and wants to decides what will send you to hell and what will send you to heaven.  Honestly you have a lot of good points, but with anything that's secular, such as cars, sports, games, MUSIC, we do everything that's secular, but it becomes a problem when it (1) demotes God and goes against Gods will and (2) when you put it 1st before God.  My Gospel music will always become first.  My praise and worship will always become first.  My love for God will always become first.  Anything that we misuse on earth can lead someone to fall.  I have nothing against your point of view of just keeping it strictly gospel.

here's the definition of secular:

sec-u-lar  /ˈsɛkyələr/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[sek-yuh-ler] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation

–adjective 1. of or pertaining to worldly things or to things that are not regarded as religious, spiritual, or sacred; temporal: secular interests.

Remember Christianity is not a religion which makes us different from anything else.   Christinaity  is a relationship.  So by defenition, anything can be secular such as public schools, sports, watching t.v., going to work.  By definition all of these things are secular.  Now is that a sin?

Offline Wolfram

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2006, 08:14:50 AM »
I have always found it interesting to witness Christians that take it upon themselves to become judges in the matter of God's will.  I see it all the time.  Those folks that choose to slap another brother or sister's life choices because they believe it is their right and they do it all in the name of God.

More people walk away from God because of people like that than run to Him. 

We can sit here and talk about secular music until we are blue in the face.  Scripture can be thrown around to prove this point or that point like daggers.  What I cannot understand is this:  Who anointed us to judge one another?  I did not get the memo. 

When I was born again, I chose to live my life more like Christ.  That meant that I was to work on perfecting my life in His pattern.  I make choices based on what I believe because it is my walk with the Lord.  Do you see a pattern here?  This is my walk...  Just as your walk with Jesus is your own.

Why does there always have to be people that feel the need to tell you that you are wrong in your walk?  Guidance is one thing, but it never seems to be that.  You get the "You are living your life wrong. You are listening to the wrong music.  You are doing the wrong this or that."  Wouldn't it be better to leave the judgement out of this equation?

In the end it will be me and me alone that has to stand before God and answer for my life.  These judges will be nowhere to be found.   

How many of these self righteous 'judges' truly live their lives in the manner prescribed by God?  Most don't.  They shout the loudest to hide their own inadequacies in Christ.  They point and jump up and down telling everyone else how they are living in sin, all they are doing is chasing people away from God.  How do you think God will respond to that.  Is that how Christ taught?  I always thought He was a calm, patient teacher. 

Anyway, sometimes the Shield of Righteousness has to protect you from 'friendly fire' coming from these folks, too.  I fold myself in my own faith and will let those with the loudest protests be dealt with by God.  He is the only person that should be judging.

Peace,

Wolfram

Offline dfwkeys

• LGM Member

« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2006, 01:53:45 PM »
Amen Wolfram,

I totally agree with you 150%, the so called christians are the ones who run baby's in Christ away back to the World.  When Jesus was on Earth, he didn't judge and told people you can't do this and that, he taught people, love, salvation, forgiveness, etc and people chose not to do secular things because of their love for God was greater.  One of my best friends does not go to church and is not saved because she grew up where her church told her to not do this and do that, and judged her just like the person on this message board is doing.  She hasn't been to church since she was in hight school because of that reason until i met up with her and explained that there is fun in Christ and the stereotype that christians have of being better than everyone else is not true.  She now has been going to church for the first time in years, although still not saved, it's a major step.  She told me herself that she cannot stand when people tell her that she's doing this wrong and doing that wrong, it just makes her want to stay away from christians all together.  People must realize that we are not living under the law, and that's how  some so-called Christians teach where it's, you can't do this or you doing this wrong.  When Jesus left the Earth, he sd that i will leave with you the Holy Spirit to teach you from right from wrong.  how bout we just leave it at that.  Jesus didn't say, i want the rest of you people to teach others right from wrong, he sent the holy spirit to guide us. 

Bro. Wolfram, you keep doing what you doing.  Have  you ever heard of the Canton Spirituals, there's this song i dedicate to all the judgmental so called christians - "sweep around your own front door, before you come and sweep around mine"

One of my favorites old timey song. :)

Peace!

Offline pdpguy

• LGM Member

« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2006, 03:13:29 PM »
i'm gonna take a wild guess and say that y'all are talking about me. so, let me just say: this is the way i am with everybody -- old and "baby" saints. and what i've found is that those who are serious listen to what you say and try to walk better daily. those who don't want to live completely right, find excuses and leave anyway. even if you coddle them, they still find a way to squirm away. old or new converts.

read 1 Corinthians 5. Paul fusses at the Corinthian church for letting some things go on that shouldn't have. he judged their behavior.

read 1 Corinthians 6. Paul fusses at the Corinthian church and then reminds them that we are the ones who judge the world, and asks them why are they not taking it upon themselves to judge and handle the matters that are going on between the brothers and sisters in the church.

people who call me judgemental are usually a little upset because i didn't just let them feel like everything is okay. but i tried.

by the way, this permissive society has crept into the church and tries to make us real Christians feel bad because we aren't permissive as well. look at where this permissive society has gotten itself and decide if that's where we want the church to be. let's get right.

Offline dfwkeys

• LGM Member

« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2006, 04:54:32 PM »
I had a feeling you would bring up Paul in the Corinthians.... Understand that there is nothing wrong with fussing especially if someone is the head of the church and the body of Christ is not doing right.  It's like spanking a child when they are out of line.  But the scenario is a not the same of what i'm referring too.  There's a difference between correction and judging.  Paul was correcting the corinthian church because they were out of line.  He was not judging.

1 Samuel 24:12 (Whole Chapter)
May the LORD judge between you and me. And may the LORD avenge the wrongs you have done to me, but my hand will not touch you

Most people refer to the corinthians to better support their thoughts and own belief but lack understanding, like for example women not speaking in the church.  I've heard some pastors that refer to the corinthians about this but still lack knowledge of what it's referring too.  i won't go into detail about that.  Because the Bible supports women preaching. but this is about music and i'll stick with that.  There's this series called, "the way of the master" it teaches you how to witness to other people.  I see it on TBN alot.  I would suggest you might invest in this for future purposes.  Oh and when paul says that we are the ones that judge the world he is refering to our presence not our mouths.  Do a little more research on it.

Offline Wolfram

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2006, 04:21:16 PM »
pdp:

It is all about perception...  I do not judge you.  You have a passion for Christ.  It is visible.  I have no doubt that what you are trying to do is honorable and with the best intent, however if I see something blatantly going in a off direction, I tend to speak up.

Maybe if we all would take more time guiding people with their walk with Christ instead of telling people of all the wrong in the world, we would have a huge resurgence in our rank.  Jesus was a gently teacher.  I don't care what Paul did, or any of the disciples.  I am not trying to emulate them.  I am trying to live my life the way I would imagine Christ lived his.  That involves patience, and guidance and gently teaching. 

Some people try to win an argument by verbal force, which is exactly the way you have chosen to go to this battle.  They bludgeon their opponents with memorized scriptures and rhetoric of how their belief are correct and everybody else's is incorrect.  If you play this way, you end up winning nothing but disdain this way.  If they concede it will be only to make you stop.   I
Think about this:

Your current method of argument is to throw a rock in the pond and then throw another and then another....  You never wait to see how all the ripples play out.  You like the splash but it is in the subtleness of the wake that the true debate is won.  Listen more and you will see better results. 

Offline dfwkeys

• LGM Member

« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2006, 07:52:03 AM »
pdp:

It is all about perception...  I do not judge you.  You have a passion for Christ.  It is visible.  I have no doubt that what you are trying to do is honorable and with the best intent, however if I see something blatantly going in a off direction, I tend to speak up.

Maybe if we all would take more time guiding people with their walk with Christ instead of telling people of all the wrong in the world, we would have a huge resurgence in our rank.  Jesus was a gently teacher.  I don't care what Paul did, or any of the disciples.  I am not trying to emulate them.  I am trying to live my life the way I would imagine Christ lived his.  That involves patience, and guidance and gently teaching. 

AMEN!!!!   Being a Christian means Christ like, not Paul like, and Christ means the annointed one. 

Offline visionmike

• LGM Member

« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2006, 11:31:58 PM »
When I originally posted this topic, I just wanted to get your opinions about the various styles of gospel music.  Maybe I should've done a better job at naming my topic. It was never an attempt to seek justification from man about the different styles of music I enjoy, either. I wanted to get your views on the different styles of GOSPEL music. Keyword Gospel. The Gospel is the good news. The good news that the death, burial and resurrection of Jesus Christ allows us to be reconciled back to God. Whether that message is heard with a hip-hop track, a rock guitar, a smooth sax or a country banjo, to me, is irrelevant. As long as the intent is to help draw someone to Christ or to strengthen one's walk with Christ.
In everything you do, ALWAYS put God 1st!
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up