LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Anyone playing tenor sax at church?  (Read 4611 times)

Offline Jbroad572

• LGM Member
    • http://www.myspace.com/b5productions

Anyone playing tenor sax at church?
« on: October 18, 2006, 04:46:23 PM »
I know alto and soprano are probably more of a fit for most of the songs at church, but I really sound bad on tenor, but its my favorite sax. I really want to get better at it or at least get it on par with my alto and soprano playing. I sold my alto (sold to get a cheaper one) and am going to really focus a lot of time on tenor. Just wanted to know if anyone else uses the tenor as their primary instrument of choice.

Offline gibbsallen

• LGM Member

Re: Anyone playing tenor sax at church?
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2006, 05:52:48 PM »
I occasionally play tenor at church.  Usually with the male choir.  I agree the tenor is not an ideal fit for church playing.  However, Kirk Whalum knows how to get it done. 

Offline KurzLand

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2006, 05:53:47 PM »
I occasionally play tenor at church.  Usually with the male choir.  I agree the tenor is not an ideal fit for church playing.  However, Kirk Whalum knows how to get it done. 

WELCOME to LGM!!! :)
"Experience is not what happens to a man; it is what a man does with what happens to him." -A.Huxley

Offline Wolfram

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My dog Bear (125lbs of Luv)
    • Wolfram a/k/a Don Zlaty

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2006, 08:20:34 AM »
Tenor is an awesome sax to play in church!!  You have to be careful about over blowing.  The tone in the upper register can go out of tune quite a little bit.

When I play tenor, I try to think about long smooth lines and phrases.  It is a bit more mellow in most cases than the alto, however I have been known to tear it up on tenor during a shout chorus.

The reason why most people play alto or sop is because the pitch is higher and it can be heard better.  Just remember to relax and really work on getting a good sound out of that stove pipe. 

Long tones, every day...  Scales, every day, full range... Arpeggios, everyday, full range.  In all 12 keys.

Start things slowly then progress in tempo as you get comfortable.  I promise you that if you take the time to learn some fundamentals, your playing will soar ahead.

Feel free to PM me if you need some more ideas.  I teach jazz, funk, theory, and classical saxophone to about 30 students right now.  I enjoy helping people out!!

Peace,

Wolfram

Offline soundsanointed

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
    • Osoware

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2006, 10:11:45 AM »
I believe that the tenor sax can be quite an asset to a musician set within the church.  Granted that that is the only wind instrument I have playing with a keyboard, drums, and percussion... however that sax comes in handy sooo much with a lot of music, and it just gives a different air to music all around when you here it.  We've used the tenor sax from praise music to mellow worship music.  It is an invaluable asset to the worship experience for us!

Offline Jbroad572

• LGM Member
    • http://www.myspace.com/b5productions

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2006, 10:53:35 AM »
Well tomorrow is my first day playing tenor once again. I still have my soprano, but really want to focus on my tenor for awhile and my alto is on order, so I might just show up with my tenor alone and force myself to work things out. Thankfully I have a good setup that I'm not fighting against, so that always helps.

Offline ifiwereu

• LGM Member

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2007, 04:27:45 PM »
In my humble opinion tenor sax played in church should focus on melodic lyrical lines. Doing it like this tends to focus on the theme and message of the song. Anything jazzy or too improvisational tends to send the wrong messages or too much romanticism.

Offline MrAJJONES

• LGM Member
    • AJ Jones official myspace page

« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2008, 08:55:57 AM »
I own a alto, tenor, and soprano sax and I play...i don't know...ALL OF THEM at CHURCH!!! Just don't play the baritone, bass, or contrabass saxes at church because the carry that thump. Don't play those unless your church has an orchestra or something to that effect. Alto, Tenor, Soprano saxes are all the norm so just play them. God will be chillin and listening in the place so don't even trip on it dude!!! Psalm 150  UCO Sax Playa
Dat Nizzle AJjizzle...DNA

Offline GodChosinOne

• LGM Member
  • TheBlessedOne

« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2008, 01:34:28 PM »
i play it sumtimes...
NO WEAPON FORMED AGAINST ME WILL PROSPER!!!
Pages: [1]   Go Up