LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Why do people think Horn Players are EXPENDIBLE? Do we not add Value?  (Read 5942 times)

Offline Cherri

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Imperial Majesty! $200,000...

Re: Why do people think Horn Players are EXPENDIBLE? Do we not add Value?
« Reply #20 on: October 13, 2006, 09:13:27 PM »
I heard a group last week with Keys, Drums and Trombone. Man they rocked the house.
What can I $ay Juanita Bynum is my cicerone.

Offline trumpetplaya

• LGM Member

« Reply #21 on: October 14, 2006, 10:30:36 PM »
This is a great discussion.  The bottom line is, in the black church, people are not exposed to horns in worship.  When I play my horn outside of my church, people are amazed that there is a new instrument.  If God has placed it on your heart to play your horn, find a place where it is accepted and remember to play for God.

I feel ya pain horn players!!!

If I am not accepted at church, then ya best believe that I'm going to play else where...

Offline Cherri

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #22 on: October 14, 2006, 11:23:22 PM »
I know that's right...

Offline saxplayer

• LGM Member

« Reply #23 on: October 16, 2006, 09:07:56 AM »
I think EXPENDIBLE is an overstatement.  Generally, horns are the least required of all instruments for gospel music. I would rank them in this order....keys, drums, bass, lead, sax, any other horns.  I've been playing saxes in my church for over a year, after transitioning from jazz big band playing. I've discovered that most choir directors and MOMs don't really know much about horns and how to best incorporate them into the church band.  I play as little or as much as I like.  I try to keep it interesting...by not over shadowing the voices.  Not a solo hog.  I usually play gently during the selection by filling in the gaps here and there, then solo on the reprise.  Some selections I don't play at all.         

Offline Cherri

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #24 on: October 16, 2006, 12:30:22 PM »
I think EXPENDIBLE is an overstatement.  Generally, horns are the least required of all instruments for gospel music. I would rank them in this order....keys, drums, bass, lead, sax, any other horns.  I've been playing saxes in my church for over a year, after transitioning from jazz big band playing. I've discovered that most choir directors and MOMs don't really know much about horns and how to best incorporate them into the church band.  I play as little or as much as I like.  I try to keep it interesting...by not over shadowing the voices.  Not a solo hog.  I usually play gently during the selection by filling in the gaps here and there, then solo on the reprise.  Some selections I don't play at all.         

I know and I don't I play a horn, I admire the taste horns add to the music. Sometimes change is health for the soul...
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up