LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: How much should a drummer get paid if ?  (Read 20440 times)

Offline Icecold24k

• LGM Member
    • http://

How much should a drummer get paid if ?
« on: October 22, 2006, 12:13:55 PM »
Hey I'm a drummer wondering if the keyboard player is getting 150 a sunday how much should the drummer get a sunday ?

Offline BEATBOXERZ

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

Re: How much should a drummer get paid if ?
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2006, 12:23:11 PM »
$150. A sunday. But it depends on your skill level. Are you on the pro level? If not, then $75. I play keys and trap so if I did tax my chruch, I could command more, but I don't charge.

MaestroDivine

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2006, 12:51:36 PM »
Be a tough negotiator, man.

Start at about 1,000,000 dollars, and work your way down. I doubt they'll pay you 1 mil, but if you start too low, you can't go up.

Offline Cherri

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Imperial Majesty! $200,000...

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2006, 01:34:39 PM »
Be a tough negotiator, man.

Start at about 1,000,000 dollars, and work your way down. I doubt they'll pay you 1 mil, but if you start too low, you can't go up.

Is this the pipe dream feign or what? lol...
What can I $ay Juanita Bynum is my cicerone.

Offline bigblackdrummer

• LGM Member
  • Curtis Cyril Bernard
    • http://www.myspace.com/phatcurtisbernard

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2006, 01:49:32 PM »
Then they would have to pay me 150 also!
Mapex Drums, Grant Custom Basses, Carparelli Basses, Istanbul Cymbals,!

Offline dwhitta

• LGM Member

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2006, 02:15:53 PM »
well in all situations the keyboardists/ organists is always gonna get more than the drummer in all situations. Don't be money hungry cause that will get you no where but playing drums in ya house, cause church's don't like money hungry musicians, doesn't matter which instrument you play. See, i live in houston so, most of the coldest cats in the city church hop cause they money hungry.

Offline mackk01

• LGM Member

« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2006, 03:11:05 PM »
If the keyboard player is just getting $150, you may be in trouble!!

MaestroDivine

« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2006, 03:14:18 PM »
If the keyboard player is just getting $150, you may be in trouble!!

:D Exactly.

Offline BEATBOXERZ

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2006, 03:45:25 PM »
well in all situations the keyboardists/ organists is always gonna get more than the drummer in all situations. Don't be money hungry cause that will get you no where but playing drums in ya house, cause church's don't like money hungry musicians, doesn't matter which instrument you play. See, i live in houston so, most of the coldest cats in the city church hop cause they money hungry.
Yeah right ?/? ::). If you wanna believe that then go right ahead. Maybe the organist. Or if you are a kid drummer. And $150.00 for one sunday isn't bad at all.

Offline drumzalicious

• LGM Member
    • Calvin Fenner Website

« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2006, 04:47:48 PM »
Yeah right ?/? ::). If you wanna believe that then go right ahead. Maybe the organist. Or if you are a kid drummer. And $150.00 for one sunday isn't bad at all.

that would depend on the size of the church

Offline BEATBOXERZ

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2006, 05:02:19 PM »
that would depend on the size of the church
Very true... Whrere I live, we don't have mega chruches so when I say $150 a sunday is good, I'm speaking from a small chruch point of view. the closest mega chruch in our vacinity is Jubillee in Northern California.

Offline DetroitB3

• LGM Member
  • Playing in the key of life
    • http://

« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2006, 06:07:34 PM »
I don't know of many "church' gigs where the percussionist would get the same amount as the keyboard player... :-\

Offline BEATBOXERZ

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2006, 06:30:37 PM »
I don't know of many "church' gigs where the percussionist would get the same amount as the keyboard player... :-\

Why is that? Is it that they think that the keyboardist is anymore important than the drummer? Most keyboardist can't play drums at all. Not even a little bit. But some drummers as myself can play keys and quite well at that.This whole thinking that the drummer is not as important as the keyboardist is a sad sad lie. All you need for a service is the organist and the drummer. Everything else is a luxury. The organist can play bass with the pedals. Now, what is the keyboardist gonna do, program the drums? Most keyboardist can't even do that right. Especially in the chruch where the only patch that they know how to use is the piano patch out of 1000 patches. And that's because they're too lazy to learn their keyboard. Now, until the chruch starts to respect what is that we do, it will always be the same ole same ole. There is no keyboardist who can slap em' like me. But I most definitly can play keyboards like them I understand theory and production. and I'm a percussionist ( Trapset ) and if I was at a so called "mega chruch" where they can afford to pay decent salaries then I commanding what the keyboardist makes and then some cause I'm 2 in 1.

Offline crazyfoot

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2006, 11:37:15 AM »
Why is that? Is it that they think that the keyboardist is anymore important than the drummer? Most keyboardist can't play drums at all. Not even a little bit. But some drummers as myself can play keys and quite well at that.This whole thinking that the drummer is not as important as the keyboardist is a sad sad lie. All you need for a service is the organist and the drummer. Everything else is a luxury. The organist can play bass with the pedals. Now, what is the keyboardist gonna do, program the drums? Most keyboardist can't even do that right. Especially in the chruch where the only patch that they know how to use is the piano patch out of 1000 patches. And that's because they're too lazy to learn their keyboard. Now, until the chruch starts to respect what is that we do, it will always be the same ole same ole. There is no keyboardist who can slap em' like me. But I most definitly can play keyboards like them I understand theory and production. and I'm a percussionist ( Trapset ) and if I was at a so called "mega chruch" where they can afford to pay decent salaries then I commanding what the keyboardist makes and then some cause I'm 2 in 1.

I agree doc im the same way! 8)

Offline BEATBOXERZ

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2006, 11:47:03 AM »

I agree doc im the same way! 8)
Yes sir!!! You know whats up! It's the truth!! There's a thread in the music education room "Are Drummers The Key" and It tells it like it is.

MaestroDivine

« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2006, 11:57:31 AM »
The next time a church wants you to take less than the keyboardist, tell them to sit down and play a few songs. Don't give 'em anything difficult to play, of course. That won't be necessary. I'm sure that, after they fail miserably, they'll respect what you do a whoooole lot more. After that, you sit down, play the same songs, and throw in every lick you can play cleanly; get up, and walk out the door.

Offline musicallyblessed

• LGM Member

« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2006, 12:49:16 PM »
I GOT A HOMEY OF MINE THAT GETS PAID $400 HE PLAYS THE KEYS. THE CHURCH HAVE A NICE DRUMMER BUT THE ARE ONLY PAYING HIOME LIKE $75. NOW TELL ME IF THAT ISN'T A HUGE DIFFERENCE.

Offline keydrummer

• LGM Member

« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2006, 01:22:34 PM »
Your Compensation should be according to the Churches budget for the music Ministry and how many services that you have to be a part of on Sunday.So you should be Compensated per Service not Per Sunday.

Offline BEATBOXERZ

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2006, 01:23:07 PM »
I GOT A HOMEY OF MINE THAT GETS PAID $400 HE PLAYS THE KEYS. THE CHURCH HAVE A NICE DRUMMER BUT THE ARE ONLY PAYING HIOME LIKE $75. NOW TELL ME IF THAT ISN'T A HUGE DIFFERENCE.
That's exactly why drummers will take that R&B job.

HustleMan

« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2006, 01:38:20 PM »
That's exactly why drummers will take that R&B job.

True.  As I've said, in some people's mind, the drummer is the drummer, but the bassist, Organist, and keyboardist are "musicians".

If you take away the keyboardist, and still have the Organist, Bassist and Drummer, you can still kill a service.

If you take away the Organist and still have the Keyboardist, Bassist and Drummer, you can still kill a service.

If you take away the Bassist and still have the Organist, Keyboardist and Drummer, you can still kill a service.

But take away the drummer? 

Or take away a sick drummer and replace him with a novice?

The drums are the only "necessary" instrument.  A service wouldn't be the same without us.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up