LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Down

Author Topic: How much should a drummer get paid if ?  (Read 20570 times)

Offline musicaljeanyuss

• LGM Member

Re: How much should a drummer get paid if ?
« Reply #80 on: May 16, 2007, 11:39:20 AM »
i believe that all musicians should get paid. I feel as if that is a way the church can show their gratitude of how much they appreciate you for rendering your services...But i remember when i started my first real church gig and it was cool i was loving it....they were faithfully paying $175/wk...but little did i know at the end of the year that i would get something called a 1099 tax form and had to pay all of the taxes they didnt take out on me....IT WAS HORRIBLE....really really HORRIBLE!!!!!
Music is LIFE!!!

Offline yamahaboy

• LGM Member
  • I Love Jewels!!

« Reply #81 on: May 16, 2007, 11:48:58 AM »
I can see having a job and playing for the church for money, but SOULY playing the drums is not right to me! :( :)
Richard

drummin4JC

« Reply #82 on: May 16, 2007, 01:48:12 PM »
I can see having a job and playing for the church for money, but SOULY playing the drums is not right to me! :( :)

i second that....

Offline yamahaboy

• LGM Member
  • I Love Jewels!!

« Reply #83 on: May 16, 2007, 02:11:59 PM »
A church offered me $250 per Sunday but I turned it down.... This was a Mega church but I just couldn't take the job for money because I felt like since I didn't have a Job, I was taking money from their ministry... Also, I wanted to be faithful to my home church.... :-\...Dont get me wrong the money was great but again, I couldnt go through with it!!
Richard

Offline fretai03

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My Fatso
    • My Youth

« Reply #84 on: May 16, 2007, 05:47:17 PM »

Am I the only one reading this wrong?

FerrariRed

To musicaljeanyuss and LGM drummers
« Reply #85 on: May 16, 2007, 05:53:21 PM »
musicaljeanyuss raises an interesting point.

The church should be withholding federal, social security and Medicare tax from your pay.  You are employees and not contractors or subcontractors.  Unless your church has filed a form 8274 electing not to withhold social security tax, they are supposed to withhold tax.  They do not want to withhold tax because the church has to pay a portion of your social security tax which can be costly to a small or large church depending on the number of employees.  So to avoid this liability, the church either pays you “under the table” which is what a lot of churches do, or they pay you like musicaljeanyuss is paid, withhold no tax and issue you a 1099 at the end of the year.

Most of you guys and gals are young and not familiar with the tax laws, so you end up making this money, kicking it, then receiving this 1099 at the end of the year and when you file your return, you have a large tax liability because you have not paid any taxes.

Ladies and Gentlemen, I work for the IRS and have for 17 years.  The information I am providing is general.  For additional information, please contact your local IRS Walk-in office or call the IRS help line for tax assistance and questions 1-800-429-1040.  Check out the website:
www.irs.gov.

These publications are free to review online or download.  Check out the following:
IRS Publication 15, pg.7, “Who are employees”
IRS Publication 517 (Clergy and members of religious organizations), pgs. 1 – 4, specifically pg. 4 paragraph 3
Form SS-8, Complete this and mail it in and the IRS will determine if you are an employee.

Again for additional information simply contact your local IRS office or call the toll-free number previously listed.

drummin4JC

« Reply #86 on: May 16, 2007, 05:58:52 PM »

I THINK HE MEANS "BUT SOULY PLAYING THE DRUMS FOR MONEY IS NOT RIGHT TO ME!"

Offline j_kay

• LGM Member

« Reply #87 on: May 16, 2007, 07:01:09 PM »
And, it's solely - not souly.   ;D
~ This thread is beyond hijacked - it's been kidnapped... ~

Offline yamahaboy

• LGM Member
  • I Love Jewels!!

« Reply #88 on: May 16, 2007, 09:46:59 PM »
I put it In capitals on purpose.....lol.... I was spelling be champ 4 years running son!!...lol..... I know I spelled it wrong though... I surprised EC didnt beat you to the punch with the grammar correcting though..lol.. ;D :D
Richard

Offline sugabear

• LGM Member
  • Wolfgang, if you don't know...find out! Seriously!

« Reply #89 on: May 16, 2007, 10:00:09 PM »
I put it In capitals on purpose.....lol.... I was spelling be champ 4 years running son!!...lol..... I know I spelled it wrong though... I surprised EC didnt beat you to the punch with the grammar correcting though..lol.. ;D :D

Don't you mean Spelling Bee?  :D :D :D
My goal as a musician is to be better than myself.
check out my site www.tampogo.com/alsmith!!!

drummin4JC

« Reply #90 on: May 16, 2007, 10:04:02 PM »
Don't you mean Spelling Bee?  :D :D :D

LMBO!!!!  ;D  :D  :D  :D  ;D

Offline fretai03

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My Fatso
    • My Youth

« Reply #91 on: May 16, 2007, 10:10:08 PM »
So I WASN'T the only one who read that differently. ;)

Offline hammondboy

• LGM Member

« Reply #92 on: May 16, 2007, 11:25:15 PM »
This is coming from a organist/keyboardist/drummer/bassist i believe that all of Everyone should get the same pay(depending on skill level) for example
 A bass player adds more drive.
A drummer adds exicitement.
A organist/keyboardist bring flavor.

Me myself i take a drummer with me when i have gig and we get the same pay cause there is nothing without a drummer.
I can do all through Christ which strengtheneth me.
Phil. 4:13

Offline mcalexan

• LGM Member

« Reply #93 on: May 17, 2007, 01:00:07 AM »
Who cares how much you get paid? As long as the church isn't taking advantage of you and they're giving you what they can. I don't think that money is ALL what matters. Sometimes we are too concerned about money and we forget about our reward in heaven. Don't get me wrong, I DON'T  think we should play for free but at the same time I don't think that money is always the only reward we receive.
By God's Grace

Offline yamahaboy

• LGM Member
  • I Love Jewels!!

« Reply #94 on: May 17, 2007, 06:53:28 AM »
Im done with yall man!....lol....  ;D :D...No matter how much I try to get yall, I always make a mistake and leave room for one of to get me back... ;D :D :)
Richard

Offline hammondboy

• LGM Member

« Reply #95 on: May 17, 2007, 12:53:33 PM »
Who cares how much you get paid? As long as the church isn't taking advantage of you and they're giving you what they can. I don't think that money is ALL what matters. Sometimes we are too concerned about money and we forget about our reward in heaven. Don't get me wrong, I DON'T  think we should play for free but at the same time I don't think that money is always the only reward we receive.
my thoughts exactly
I can do all through Christ which strengtheneth me.
Phil. 4:13

Offline JERARD SNELL

• LGM Member

« Reply #96 on: May 17, 2007, 01:24:04 PM »
its all according to what the church wants!! but you can make  $100 to $500

Offline Icecold24k

• LGM Member
    • http://

« Reply #97 on: May 17, 2007, 04:41:35 PM »
Ok now a church could easily be taking advantage of you an you not even notice it cause you are content with  100 dollars a week while they dont consider you a musician and the organist gets 1000 dollars a sunday thats fully being taken advantage an how do you handle that situation Without sounding greedy or cocky?
I haven't seen any one fully do that .
I read earlier in this post where the person put the scripture "seek ye first the kingdom of god an all other things will be added unto you " an I think that is so true an yes you got to keep your mind stayed on Jesus to prosper and receive blessings but whatever maybe your blessing you may be missing ....

Offline fretai03

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My Fatso
    • My Youth

« Reply #98 on: May 17, 2007, 05:09:21 PM »
Ok now a church could easily be taking advantage of you an you not even notice it cause you are content with  100 dollars a week while they dont consider you a musician and the organist gets 1000 dollars a sunday thats fully being taken advantage an how do you handle that situation Without sounding greedy or cocky?
I haven't seen any one fully do that .
I read earlier in this post where the person put the scripture "seek ye first the kingdom of god an all other things will be added unto you " an I think that is so true an yes you got to keep your mind stayed on Jesus to prosper and receive blessings but whatever maybe your blessing you may be missing ....

Its not your business whether you're being taken advantage of. If you are - you're a sucker in the first place.

My point? If you focus too strongly on the money side of things, when do you play for God?

At the end of the day, drummers need to serve God's purpose for them. As soon as you "focus" on the money the game has changed. Playing for God & receiving monetary blessings is fine... Once you start to question or want more of that "monetary blessing" that plot has changed.

Offline sugabear

• LGM Member
  • Wolfgang, if you don't know...find out! Seriously!

« Reply #99 on: May 17, 2007, 06:23:31 PM »
As a lot of others have stated playing soley for money is a dangerous place to be in. When you play just for money you open yourself up to be very callous and cold-hearted toward the church, because, truth be told, a lot of churches aren't good stewards over finance, especially when it comes to paying people and these money players see that and become discouraged. Trust me, I know a few musicians like this. They play in the church and only in the church and, with them, it's all about the money. These cats are so far away from God that it's ridiculous. One time this one cat showed up at a Cogic convention completely smacked (high) out of his mind and played for the check. Never play for just the money. You can become callous toward the church and eventually toward God.
My goal as a musician is to be better than myself.
check out my site www.tampogo.com/alsmith!!!
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Up