LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Down

Author Topic: How much should a drummer get paid if ?  (Read 20448 times)

Offline mcalexan

• LGM Member

Re: How much should a drummer get paid if ?
« Reply #100 on: May 18, 2007, 07:44:53 AM »
Its not your business whether you're being taken advantage of. If you are - you're a sucker in the first place.

My point? If you focus too strongly on the money side of things, when do you play for God?

At the end of the day, drummers need to serve God's purpose for them. As soon as you "focus" on the money the game has changed. Playing for God & receiving monetary blessings is fine... Once you start to question or want more of that "monetary blessing" that plot has changed.

I couldn't have said that any better.
By God's Grace

JFunky

« Reply #101 on: May 18, 2007, 07:53:15 AM »
Its not your business whether you're being taken advantage of. If you are - you're a sucker in the first place.

My point? If you focus too strongly on the money side of things, when do you play for God?

At the end of the day, drummers need to serve God's purpose for them. As soon as you "focus" on the money the game has changed. Playing for God & receiving monetary blessings is fine... Once you start to question or want more of that "monetary blessing" that plot has changed.

As a lot of others have stated playing soley for money is a dangerous place to be in. When you play just for money you open yourself up to be very callous and cold-hearted toward the church, because, truth be told, a lot of churches aren't good stewards over finance, especially when it comes to paying people and these money players see that and become discouraged. Trust me, I know a few musicians like this. They play in the church and only in the church and, with them, it's all about the money. These cats are so far away from God that it's ridiculous. One time this one cat showed up at a Cogic convention completely smacked (high) out of his mind and played for the check. Never play for just the money. You can become callous toward the church and eventually toward God.

....yall dudes are in to something.  That's real talk right there.  You know who's accountable for all of that?  The Pastor. ;)

Offline Zelevo

• LGM Member

« Reply #102 on: May 18, 2007, 04:43:45 PM »
Has anyone bothered to ask their Pastor why their keyboardist is paid more then them?
Repetition deepens Impression

drummin4JC

« Reply #103 on: May 18, 2007, 09:25:48 PM »
Has anyone bothered to ask their Pastor why their keyboardist is paid more then them?

Offline bigblackdrummer

• LGM Member
  • Curtis Cyril Bernard
    • http://www.myspace.com/phatcurtisbernard

« Reply #104 on: May 19, 2007, 06:37:48 AM »
well in all situations the keyboardists/ organists is always gonna get more than the drummer in all situations. Don't be money hungry cause that will get you no where but playing drums in ya house, cause church's don't like money hungry musicians, doesn't matter which instrument you play. See, i live in houston so, most of the coldest cats in the city church hop cause they money hungry.

If the the Church was taking care of them right there would be no reason to Church hop to make a living!
Mapex Drums, Grant Custom Basses, Carparelli Basses, Istanbul Cymbals,!

Offline bigblackdrummer

• LGM Member
  • Curtis Cyril Bernard

« Reply #105 on: May 19, 2007, 06:44:20 AM »
i dont think that it matter of which instrument is more important moreso than it is the responsibilities required of an organist. i would say 60%-70% are required when hire to teach choir/praise team parts. whens the last time you heard of a preacher travelling with just his drummer and no organist intentionally.

and lets clarify something i take no engagements without a good drummer and if one wont be provided i pay out of my pocket to bring one just ask cedric easton or nate parker 2 of columbus, ohio's better drummers.

but i also say if im playing during service(talk music, start of backing up the preacher) when the drummer is not why should i take same or lesser pay and this is based off the previous arguments as to why a drummer should be paid the same or better.

its football season the cowboys-giants game is coming on so ill leave this with yall QB's are usually the highest paid football player on thier team but they wouldnt be stars with thier lesser paid offensive line protecting them.

Im a drummer and M.D. and do all the same things you do, why should you be paid more just because you are behind a set of keys!

Offline bigblackdrummer

• LGM Member
  • Curtis Cyril Bernard

« Reply #106 on: May 19, 2007, 06:50:20 AM »
A church offered me $250 per Sunday but I turned it down.... This was a Mega church but I just couldn't take the job for money because I felt like since I didn't have a Job, I was taking money from their ministry... Also, I wanted to be faithful to my home church.... :-\...Dont get me wrong the money was great but again, I could go through with it!!

GUY! ARE YOU STUPID! That was a blessing! especially when you don't have a job!

Offline bigblackdrummer

• LGM Member
  • Curtis Cyril Bernard

« Reply #107 on: May 19, 2007, 07:13:17 AM »
Lets be real! Christianity has a business aspect to it no matter how many words you can speak in your heavenly language! Payment should depend on your position! If you are the M.D. or M.o.M. doing all the behind the scenes work then yes you should be paid more NO MATTER THE INSTRUMENT! And if you are an assistant you should be paid more but not as much as the director (no matter the instrument).

Should you be paid more just because you play the keys HECK NO! That's like paying a white man more money to do the same job just because he's white!
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Up