LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Tobias vs. Tobias  (Read 10886 times)

Offline rebuked

• LGM Member
    • Myspace

Tobias vs. Tobias
« on: October 25, 2006, 09:06:04 AM »
As many of us bass players know, Tobias was one of the best bass guitars made a few years ago.  I mean, they were just awesome.  Many of us know the story so I dont want to post it, but to make a long story short, Gibson ended up taking over Tobias basses, and after that happened they just went downhill.  The question i want to know is, how far downhill did they go?  Every day i check ebay, and every day there are always about 10 NEW Tobias basses being put up for auction.  I see more NEW Tobias basses than i see assembly line basses.  Have anyone ever compared one of the old ones to the new ones?  I am just curious to know how they sound and why are so many people trying to get rid of them.
Hebrews 12:14

Offline musiqisme26

• LGM Member
  • Yaron MusicCo. Gospels Fresh Sound!

Re: Tobias vs. Tobias
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2006, 10:34:07 AM »
original tobias basses will always be top of the line and the new gibson made tobiases can never compare. i will say though i like the toby line cuz they are really good basses for the money. now if you want to get back to the glory days of tobias go with mtd. i should be picking up a MTD Z4 mysely really soon

Offline Andrzej

• LGM Member
  • I've got 5 on it!
    • Kings Church

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2006, 12:43:57 PM »
The production line models (Deluxe and Custom) that Gibson have been manufacturing since they bought the company are nowhere near the same quality of the hand-made instruments that Mike Tobias and his team used to produce.  Even though the design is more or less the same these basses use lower quality woods, hardware and electronics.  However, they are considerably cheaper due to being manufactured in the Far East.  For the price I think they are ok and compared to other well known names out there within the same price bracket they are actually good value for money.

It is from my understanding that Gibson have recently opened a custom shop for Tobias Classic models.  I have yet to see a Gibson made Custom Tobias and I have no idea of the quality.  If you want a quality made instrument designed and produced by Mike Tobias get an MTD.  I would be very certain that the bass you will recieve will knock spots off the Gibson made Custom Tobias bass.

Offline musiqisme26

• LGM Member

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2006, 01:54:04 PM »
The production line models (Deluxe and Custom) that Gibson have been manufacturing since they bought the company are nowhere near the same quality of the hand-made instruments that Mike Tobias and his team used to produce.  Even though the design is more or less the same these basses use lower quality woods, hardware and electronics.  However, they are considerably cheaper due to being manufactured in the Far East.  For the price I think they are ok and compared to other well known names out there within the same price bracket they are actually good value for money.

It is from my understanding that Gibson have recently opened a custom shop for Tobias Classic models.  I have yet to see a Gibson made Custom Tobias and I have no idea of the quality.  If you want a quality made instrument designed and produced by Mike Tobias get an MTD.  I would be very certain that the bass you will recieve will knock spots off the Gibson made Custom Tobias bass.

just to correct a lil bit of your info

there 4 types of tobias basses in chronological order

#1. Tobias basses handcrafted by mike tobias and his team

#2. there are tobias basses made in japan but this was a short lived project bcuz the yen to us$ but this was spear headed by mike tobias, these were known as Tobias Standards

#3. Gibson tobias for the first year mike tobias over saw production of gibson made tobiases, there are were 6 models but now only 5

the basic, classic, signature, killer B, growler, and there used to the renegade which is no longer made

#4. gibson start producing a cheaper korean made tobias known as the toby and they have 2 model the deluxe and pro

Offline DWBass

• LGM Member
  • Make A Joyful Noise!

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2006, 02:27:09 PM »
In addition.............

The current Gibson/Tobias model are once again being made in the USA after many years of being produced overseas. The current models are well made instruments but in no way compare to the handmade models Michael Tobias & Team produced before Gibson bought the Tobias brand.

The Gibson/Tobias/MusicYo Toby Pro & Deluxe models are no longer being produced.
"Never Leave Home Without Your Groove On" :)

Offline Andrzej

• LGM Member
  • I've got 5 on it!
    • Kings Church

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2006, 05:32:22 PM »

just to correct a lil bit of your info

there 4 types of tobias basses in chronological order

#1. Tobias basses handcrafted by mike tobias and his team

#2. there are tobias basses made in japan but this was a short lived project bcuz the yen to us$ but this was spear headed by mike tobias, these were known as Tobias Standards

#3. Gibson tobias for the first year mike tobias over saw production of gibson made tobiases, there are were 6 models but now only 5

the basic, classic, signature, killer B, growler, and there used to the renegade which is no longer made

#4. gibson start producing a cheaper korean made tobias known as the toby and they have 2 model the deluxe and pro

Okay, I know a lot more about Tobias basses than you may think and pardon my expression, but I think you are really splitting hairs.  I was merely giving my personal view about the comparisons between Tobias basses made by the man himself and the instruments now licensed under Gibson...nothing else.  Okay, I admit that I made a typo by calling a Korean made Pro model a 'Custom' and I am sorry about the confusion.  I appreciate your knowledge on the subject (and I could add a heck of a lot more to it....even the names of the timber companies that Mike used to buy his wood from!), but I don't undertsand what part of my comments you are trying to correct.

Offline musiqisme26

• LGM Member

« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2006, 06:00:13 PM »

why are you being so up tight cuz i correct the wrong info you posted. if you look at mine and how they are broken you will realize your first mistake was saying there were only 2 production line models where in they are all production line models. also the gibson line not the tobys have been around for quite sometime and are not recent as you stated.

but i do agree with you on 1 point if your want tobias quality buy pre-gibson or go with mtd.

my post was not an attack at you i was merely posting about the title of this thread tobias vs tobias not tobias vs toby and im sorry it made you feel insecure

Offline bigblackdrummer

• LGM Member
  • Curtis Cyril Bernard
    • http://www.myspace.com/phatcurtisbernard

« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2006, 06:07:36 AM »

Agreed, I was going to say the same thing........For thoes with no money and want an awesome bass MTD has a new line out made over seas and its da bomb! Awesome woods and wood covered pick ups...You would never know its under 1400. I was hanging with Mike T. when he was here in Canada and he said he wont buy back the Tobias name and will just stick with MTD basses.
Mapex Drums, Grant Custom Basses, Carparelli Basses, Istanbul Cymbals,!

Offline musiqisme26

• LGM Member

« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2006, 06:32:07 AM »
Agreed, I was going to say the same thing........For thoes with no money and want an awesome bass MTD has a new line out made over seas and its da bomb! Awesome woods and wood covered pick ups...You would never know its under 1400. I was hanging with Mike T. when he was here in Canada and he said he wont buy back the Tobias name and will just stick with MTD basses.

yea those are the MTD Zephyr series

Z4-$899-$950

Z5 $999-$1050

the lower prices is basscentral.com prices and the higher price everyone else whos selling them.

there was a Z5 on ebay with buy it now set at $850 as i was in the process of paying for it the seller removed it

Offline bigblackdrummer

• LGM Member
  • Curtis Cyril Bernard
    • http://www.myspace.com/phatcurtisbernard

« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2006, 01:06:37 AM »

yea those are the MTD Zephyr series

Z4-$899-$950

Z5 $999-$1050

the lower prices is basscentral.com prices and the higher price everyone else whos selling them.

there was a Z5 on ebay with buy it now set at $850 as i was in the process of paying for it the seller removed it

they make a 6 too...i dont know if its out yet
Mapex Drums, Grant Custom Basses, Carparelli Basses, Istanbul Cymbals,!

Offline musiqisme26

• LGM Member

« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2006, 06:58:56 AM »
they make a 6 too...i dont know if its out yet

its not out yet but i hear its coming real soon and also lefty models

Offline funkinater

• LGM Member

« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2006, 02:01:24 AM »
Guys the bottom line is Gibson Tobias basses were doomed to fail from the begining.
The reason being Gibson with the help of Michael changed the pickups and electronics in these basses
during the handover.  I've talked about this with Michael himself and the growl of the pre-gibson basses just
can't be duplicated with the new electronics.  Gibson still uses all of the exotic woods and I've played the new models.
there ok.  When gospel players think tobias, they want that deep growl and nasty slap tones.  The new basses have
an altogether different sound.  In my opinion Gibson should have just gave the bass a different name because it's just
a totally different animal.  I went to the Gibson factory when it was in Nashville and saw how they build their new basses.
As far as I could see they put a lot of time and effort into each bass.  I know Gibson gets a lot of slack for having inferior
instruments but I think it's just a different instrument. I've owned both basses and there definately is a huge difference
Peace,
Funkinater

Offline musiqisme26

• LGM Member

« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2006, 05:46:38 AM »
yesterday i played both the Z4 and Z5, i also got to feel the difference between the maple fret and the rosewood fretboard. i went to basscentral in orlando and the guy is going to sell the Z5 for $899 out the door (tax of course unless buy it under the church account). they sounded better than some of the higher end basses he had and trust they have some great ones in there. he also said there is a new color coming and what i was thinking is i could trade or sell my Tobias Killer B (based on the serial this bass was built while Mike help gibson) and would get the Z5 w/ rosewood and they have a warwick streamer stage 1 that like as well

Offline gambit23435

• LGM Member
  • http://myspace.com/bassin4god
    • Bassin 4 God

« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2006, 01:06:23 PM »
You guys should read this TB thread posted yesterday.

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=285415

You might be interested in what they have to say about Tobias basses.  8)
"A great guitar player is a great guitar player. A great bass player is a great musician"

Offline sonofpaul

• LGM Member
    • http://

« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2006, 08:08:54 PM »
Gibson is making the new Tobias in their Arkansas plant..I tried a brand new Classic and I was very suprised..It had the teardrop shape neck just like the old ones..I was told that Gibson got Mike to go down to Arkansas to show the boys how he used to make them...I'm sure Gibson paid Mike a pretty penny for that.

Offline malthumb

• LGM Member
  • Praise Is What I Do
    • Your Car Does What?!?!?

« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2006, 08:51:02 PM »
I was at the Southfield, Michigan Guitar Center this past Saturday and took the chance to play a 2005 Tobias they have on the floor.  It was apparently a NAMM bass.  They're trying to get $5,995 for it.  Good luck!!

It is definitely a very nice bass.  Tone out the wazoo!!  But not $6K worth of tone.  I'd put it in the same neighborhood with most Ken Smiths and MTDs that 've played.  Maybe just a smidge below.  I've played a couple MTDs that had me mentally rearranging my finances to try to justify a new purchase.  This one didn't quite get me there, but at $2,500 I'd consider it.  I've played a lot of Tobias basses, both Gibson era and pre-Gibson era.  This one rates with the best of them.

Peace,

James
FAITH unites people
RELIGION divides FAITH

Offline BassAddict

• LGM Member
    • Myspace

« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2006, 11:37:25 PM »
Well I can give you a first hand review since I own a Tobias myself, I have a Toby 6 stirng. There are pros and cons to the new Tobias basses:

Pros: Great craftsmanship since they still use Mike Tobias' design
        Greats sound
        Comfortable

Cons: PRICE! (The money that some ppl are asking for the new ones are ridiculous when you can go out and buy a MTD for the same)
        Electronics (If you buy one withe the Tobias Humbucker pickups that is...Barts are on point)
        Resale value (Probably wont get half of what you paid...so buy used if you can like I did ;)

Overall I am satisfied with my Tobias I only kicked out $650 for mine and it is a 6-string neckthfrough design. I also sold my old peavey for $200 to off set the cost so I feel pretty good about the value that I got. I will finally say...Tobias is Great, but definitely not better than MTD and Smith basses. If you can find a used one for a decent price that will be cool....( My man malthumb put me on to the used bass market...and I must say...he knows what he is talkin about, definitely more ban g for your buck.)

Acts 4:12

Offline malthumb

• LGM Member
  • Praise Is What I Do
    • Your Car Does What?!?!?

« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2006, 12:52:41 PM »
Well I can give you a first hand review since I own a Tobias myself, I have a Toby 6 stirng. There are pros and cons to the new Tobias basses:

Pros: Great craftsmanship since they still use Mike Tobias' design
        Greats sound
        Comfortable

Cons: PRICE! (The money that some ppl are asking for the new ones are ridiculous when you can go out and buy a MTD for the same)
        Electronics (If you buy one withe the Tobias Humbucker pickups that is...Barts are on point)
        Resale value (Probably wont get half of what you paid...so buy used if you can like I did ;)

Overall I am satisfied with my Tobias I only kicked out $650 for mine and it is a 6-string neckthfrough design. I also sold my old peavey for $200 to off set the cost so I feel pretty good about the value that I got. I will finally say...Tobias is Great, but definitely not better than MTD and Smith basses. If you can find a used one for a decent price that will be cool....( My man malthumb put me on to the used bass market...and I must say...he knows what he is talkin about, definitely more ban g for your buck.)

Appreciate your review, but remember, the newer line of Gibson produced Tobias basses is way different than the Toby line.  It's kind of like Fender Squire compared to Fender.  The Toby 6 string neckthrough you have is an excellent value, but the Gibson Tobias 5 string neckthrough that I was describing is in a whole different league.  Now, I don't think the membership dues for that league should be $6K, but that's what they're asking.  I'd bet they'd take the first $3,800 that walked in the door.

Peace,

James
FAITH unites people
RELIGION divides FAITH

Offline carlmack7183

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
    • Carl's Business

« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2007, 04:41:03 PM »
I dont know how I missed this post...

I have a Tobias Killer B 6-string that was made right before Gibson took over the company and I love that bass. As a matter of fact it has one of the nastiest slap tones that I have heard thus far. My brother recently bought a new Tobias and two months ago and ha is trying to sell it already. If you want a qulaity Tobias,get a pre-gibson or get a MTD (that's what I would do).

Offline musiqisme26

• LGM Member

« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2007, 09:30:06 PM »
I dont know how I missed this post...

I have a Tobias Killer B 6-string that was made right before Gibson took over the company and I love that bass. As a matter of fact it has one of the nastiest slap tones that I have heard thus far. My brother recently bought a new Tobias and two months ago and ha is trying to sell it already. If you want a qulaity Tobias,get a pre-gibson or get a MTD (that's what I would do).

all killer b's are gibson products but they were co-designed with mr. tobias. if you dont mind me asking you would mind sending me you serial you can pm me and i can date it for you. ive dated mine my serial is 3122 which put mine in the final batch that according to gibson that mr. tobias consulted on.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up