LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Drummers Checklist by SabianKnight  (Read 13628 times)

Offline keydrummer

• LGM Member

Re: Drummers Checklist by SabianKnight
« Reply #20 on: December 31, 2006, 06:04:12 PM »
EMs power… See this right here will send the A.B.I.s into Cardiac Arrest… Musicians must have do and/or know CPR… (have) Control  (do) Practice (know) Rhythm, etc…

Thanks that's nice.
Now this checklist needs to be copied and  keep around your drums as a reminder

(1)What is my motive for playing?

(2) What have I learned new this week?

(3)What have I mastered this week?

(4)Did I really even believe/feel what I was playing?

(5) Was I in tune/locked in with the melody makers (keys and vocals)... A good drummer always rhythmically supports the melody, it's not about the bass as most believe.  it's about the melody.

(Remember, know that the bass, the rhythm guitar and the piano in a lot of cases make up the Rhythm Section. It is not just bass and drums & percussion...  All are there to support the featured instrument, the human voice in most cases which the lead guitar, keys, and horns mimic.)

(6)Was I clear in mind and spirit or did I play with "junk" attached?

(7) Was I playing for God or man (man's approval) or the desires of man (a paycheck) today?

(8)Is the band/music dept. on one accord?

(9) Do we all work equally hard/dilligently in personal study/practice and rehearsal preparation?

Offline keydrummer

• LGM Member

« Reply #21 on: December 31, 2006, 06:06:50 PM »
Thanks CHERRI,JFUNKY & SABIANKNIGHT for these items.

Offline SabianKnight

• LGM Member
  • Art by C1... Thanx Bruh!

« Reply #22 on: January 01, 2007, 10:40:03 PM »
Great post. Could anyone go into more detail about playing and phrasing with the melody. This is something I want to start improving.

Thanks Eugenio

This kind of info I got from talks with my instructor, Jahleel Eli, as well as reading articles on the jazz drumming greats like Elvin Jones and most recently Max Roach. I got a lot from the Santana DVD SUPERNATURAL in the extras section where he is talking over the slide show.  Carlos Santa explains how his guitar playing iis heavly influenced by jazz saxophonist like Charlie Parker, John Coltrane etc. He is also very heavily influenced by blues music.

At this time I don't really have any books or other materials to recommend.
Try not to become a person of success but rather a person of VALUE. - T. Harv Eker

Offline freddyfusion

• LGM Member

« Reply #23 on: January 02, 2007, 03:04:50 PM »
GREAT GREAT GREAT
THANK U
LIVE FROM HEAVEN- Eph. 2:6
play where you wanna be

Offline DuvalsLilJohnLumpkin

• LGM Member
  • "Music has the power to shape character"

« Reply #24 on: January 02, 2007, 03:20:31 PM »
 :DGood God!! Thank you!! I'm sorry that's all I can say!! I wish I could say more :'(
John 'Lil John" Lumpkin

JFunky

« Reply #25 on: April 17, 2007, 08:10:51 PM »
...for those that don't have this, make sure you add this to your notebook.  This checklist is a straight kick in the butt.

Offline young talent

• LGM Member
  • young talent

« Reply #26 on: April 18, 2007, 03:06:46 PM »
thats a good post. im really going to start using that.

Offline jhaynes

• LGM Member

« Reply #27 on: April 18, 2007, 09:18:09 PM »
GREAT SUBJECT!!!!!  ;) 1 thing "We" the LGM family must understand is, God isn't moved by how good we are, he's pleased with what we do with the gift he gave to us, like if we minipulating people with our ability to influence a bad spirit on the movement of the service or the people of God.  How we use it to get numbers from babes or numbers for more gigs, or just trying to be seen because ya boys are in the room. We have to be more responsible with the tools that have been given to us. It is important that when we sit down to play, weither ur a Calvin Rogers or a Leroy Jenkins(made that up) the responsibilty is still the same!!!! The Bible say's "A good name is worth to be chosen than Riches" and our names as it relates to what we do is the thing that draws people to us so when we don't take the time to answer a question or 2 because the guy admires us and the way we handle that establishes the way they will see us aaaaall the time. So we are held accountable to how we play, talk to people, talk to women, pour into each other, and how we treat our job at church, our gigs, and our leaders. I commend you Sabe for this level of self examination! we must do it everytime we sit down to play so we don't infortrate the wills of the people that have come to receive from God and us, at that moment when we are playing "NOTHING ELSE MATTERS!" but SERVING!!!!!!!!! I Love You Guys my LGM Fam!     

Offline Jaychurch

• LGM Member

« Reply #28 on: March 20, 2008, 01:16:43 PM »
I didn't think about I could've outgrown playing drums. I've been playing for about ten years. But that's the thing though. What assignment would I have and God knows I love music? My cousin told me God knows my heart, and since I rarely play and I often want to, I didn't think I outgrown this instrument. THis helped me a lot. Bless you brother Sabianknight.

Offline boluadeboye

• LGM Member

« Reply #29 on: January 29, 2013, 10:10:26 AM »
This topic has greatly ministered to my life. Thanks so much. God bless you.

Offline JFunky

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Marvin McQuitty jr. (Thank You)

« Reply #30 on: January 30, 2013, 06:59:18 AM »
...thanks for bumping this up.  Great Stuff!
Psalms 144.1 - "Praise be to the LORD my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle."
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up