LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Guitar leads  (Read 4954 times)

Offline qbsounds

• LGM Member

Guitar leads
« on: June 25, 2004, 12:52:57 PM »
Hey room whats up I just need to know what is the trick or skill to become an effective lead guitarist in a band like those simple a guitarist plays

Offline Teewanabe

• LGM Member

Guitar leads
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2004, 02:54:54 PM »
Practice, Practice, Practice   :lol:   :lol:  :lol:

Bieng solid and fundamentaly sound about scales
Imititation of phrases using variations and differentt octaves
Excellent rythym and playing with the beat
Not overplaying
Not trying to fit to many notes into something just because it sounds technical and difficult.  
Keep it smooth and silky, follow the chordal structure and lead in to your part  and lead out to the next part
Use the right sound  dynamics and tones  for the song bieng played. ( if its clean be clean ,if it needs more distortion or bite than do so)
Fill what needs to be filled and don't step on others.
Know the fretboard backwards and forwards so you can jump in at any place

Offline BBoy

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Let's Praise Jesus Together!

Guitar leads
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2004, 05:30:35 PM »
Yes, I know people won't want to hear this . . . but scales are more important for a guitarist than for a keyboardist!

8O

You can't play lead guitar without knowing scales backwards and forwards. Also, with keyboard, you can look at your hands . . . guitar you can't. You go by ear and feel. Scales must be in your blood for the guitar.

Hope this doesn't close the room  :wink:

Be Blessed
Joshua 1: 7, 8

Offline qbsounds

• LGM Member

Guitar leads
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2004, 12:47:15 PM »
Thanx a lot for the help tho you helped to make playin much better and more meaningful

Offline B3Wannabe

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

Guitar leads
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2004, 01:13:31 PM »
scales are more important for a guitarist than for a keyboardist!

Indeed.  :D

Offline JayP5150

• LGM Member
    • PEEBSound Guitar Effects

Guitar leads
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2004, 11:31:00 AM »
Quote from: BBoy
Yes, I know people won't want to hear this . . . but scales are more important for a guitarist than for a keyboardist!

8O

You can't play lead guitar without knowing scales backwards and forwards. Also, with keyboard, you can look at your hands . . . guitar you can't. You go by ear and feel.

Why can't you look at your hands playing guitar?  Personally, the easiest way to remember scales/modes, is to familiarize yourself with the shape that it makes on the fretboard.  Once you have that down, and know where the root notes of that shape fall, you can move that sucker anywhere on the neck.  

This works well for knowing certain chord progressions as well.  Such as, when playing an e-shaped barre, the 4 chord is the a-shaped barre directly below it, and the 5 chord is the a-shaped barre two frets above that, then your 2 chord is the e-shaped barre directly above your 5 chord (this is the "box pattern" people talk about).

As for scales, I would suggest starting with you pentatonics, then learn these with you "slur" notes, then move to your majors.  E-mail me if you need any of these transcribed for you.

Good luck.

Offline behm7

• LGM Member

Guitar leads
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2004, 10:07:06 PM »
scales are DEFINITELY important...however (and i am assuming you are saved) the leading of the Holy Spirit is important also...practicing with the musicians you will be worshipping with is important because it will allow you to 'feel' what kind of space there is for you to do what you do...fill space that 'needs' to be filled, not just because it is there...
Pages: [1]   Go Up