LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Gettin' Paid to Play?  (Read 13688 times)

Offline MinAJ

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

Gettin' Paid to Play?
« on: November 01, 2006, 03:27:13 PM »
Is there anyone playing at thier home church and not getting paid?  I'm not and I'm happy.  I'm trying to help build my dad's ministry but I've recieved a lot of criticism from people I thought were genuine.  What's gospel music come to?
Now unto him who is able...

Offline ferrente

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • The Lord Can Do All Things!

Re: Gettin' Paid to Play?
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2006, 07:17:47 PM »
Welcome to LGM  MinAJ 
Trust in the Lord and do good so shalt thou dwell in the land and verily thou shalt be fed.

rjthakid

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2006, 09:29:06 AM »
Is there anyone playing at thier home church and not getting paid?  I'm not and I'm happy.  I'm trying to help build my dad's ministry but I've recieved a lot of criticism from people I thought were genuine.  What's gospel music come to?

I see nothing wrong with being a paid musician, but there are people who think that all musicians SHOULD be paid.  I am not a paid musician.  I feel that Worshipping the Lord with my instrument is not something I MUST be paid to do.  Either way, with or without pay, I'm satisfied.

Offline MinAJ

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2006, 03:27:42 PM »
Thanks ferrente.  Thank you to rjthakid.  I do believe a flurishing ministry that can should take care of the musicians.  I charge for weddings.  Some, not all, for funerals depending on the relationship.  It's good to know that the true worshipers look for the spiritual blessing more than anything.  I wouldn't trade that for all the money in the world.

Offline ferrente

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • The Lord Can Do All Things!

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2006, 04:25:12 PM »
Well Said!
Trust in the Lord and do good so shalt thou dwell in the land and verily thou shalt be fed.

Offline COGIC4EVA

• LGM Member
    • http://

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2006, 10:07:50 AM »
Im a musician that was getting paid and was so unhappy where i was.  Now i get paid every blue moon but my spiritual life is growing which is important.  God is so tired of musicians just being satisfied with "going through the motions living any knid of life."  everybody understands that money is a neccesity but i agree you cannot allow it to effect your spiritual life.

Offline Prophetic Remnant

• LGM Member
  • "Touch not THIS anointed one...so STOP HATING"
    • PlayGospelKeys

« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2006, 01:16:59 AM »
Nothing is wrong with getting paid as long as it doesn't change your playing from worship to just a job.

Offline hammondboy

• LGM Member

« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2006, 10:43:59 PM »
IF U ARE A HIRED MUSICIAN THE BIBLE STATS THAT I MAN IS WORTHY OF HIS HIRE.
I can do all through Christ which strengtheneth me.
Phil. 4:13

Offline MinAJ

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2006, 04:49:43 PM »
IF U ARE A HIRED MUSICIAN THE BIBLE STATS THAT I MAN IS WORTHY OF HIS HIRE.

Was this scripture refering to musicians or something else? 

Offline hammondboy

• LGM Member

« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2006, 02:47:23 AM »
Was this scripture refering to musicians or something else? 

MUSICIANS, PREACHERS, ETC....

Offline karlisa

• LGM Member

« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2006, 02:42:44 PM »
If you are in a financial position to give of your self for free then more power to you.  I have been ministering in music for over twenty years and have always received a salary even at my home church.  Every church should want to pay there musician.  I don’t think I would play for free anywhere because it is my belief that people, not the Lord will use you.  I don’t want to be used.  I don’t care if it is only $50.00 per week.  The y should want to pay you for your talents.  If you have a family that has needs, I don’t think it would be wise for you to take from your family and give it to others.  They should pay you nothing less than every other week.   

Offline MinAJ

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2006, 06:50:42 PM »
If you are in a financial position to give of your self for free then more power to you.  I have been ministering in music for over twenty years and have always received a salary even at my home church.  Every church should want to pay there musician.  I don’t think I would play for free anywhere because it is my belief that people, not the Lord will use you.  I don’t want to be used.  I don’t care if it is only $50.00 per week.  The y should want to pay you for your talents.  If you have a family that has needs, I don’t think it would be wise for you to take from your family and give it to others.  They should pay you nothing less than every other week.   
Thanks and for your input karlisa and welcome!

Offline biznizman

• LGM Member

« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2006, 03:51:16 PM »
I was playing for a church for nothing and the pastor decided that he wanted to give a small love token for me playing.  Then when I moved back home, my dad decided he wanted to give me a salary for playing.  He believes that the lead musician should be the second highest paid person in the church, behind the preacher.  I mean if you really think about it, the organ player is the person who has to be there at the beginning of the service, has to be available throughout the entire service, is expected to be at every rehearsal, every service, and anything else needing music.  If you're the only person in the church who plays the organ, who else is going to take your place when you're not there?  There are multiple directors, usually more than one preacher, the choir sings only two to four songs, sometimes more than one drummer.  Is there anyone else in the church who is expected to participate from beginning to end of the service?  I know we hope everyone would participate but there is only one person who is EXPECTED to participate.

I wouldn't say that being paid be a requesite for your playing in the service, but I would say if it's offered, don't turn it down. 

Offline according2g

• LGM Member

« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2007, 03:11:26 PM »
In one's home church, one can certainly donate one's talents and time towards the ministry and that is admirable.  I play for a church, however, that is not my home church.  To me, a different scenario.  If you expect a person who is not a member of your congregation to come and accept a position as an organist or MOM, you are expecting them to be there for rehearsals, at all your services, when the choir goes out on Sundays and during the week....basically, unless their home church has services that are not at the same time as your own, you are expecting them to devote their entire "church time" to aiding in your music ministry.  Why would I not be paid?

"A workman is worthy of his hire" refers to preachers, musicians, etc....as in the Levites of the OT who were devoted to ministry within the church.

It is often said that musicians go for the highest dollar.  Since I have accepted a position outside of my home church as an organist, I have seen a different light and "the other side".  There are those who (on the other end) try to get out of paying musicians what they are worth.  Case in point:  Upon accepting a position as an organist, I voluntarily gave the church back $100 per week.  It is 3 years later, and after two or three raises I have still not been raised back to the original salary.  When I ask for a raise, I am usually promised one thing....and then an excuse is given as to why the amount agreed upon wasn't met (after the fact).

Bottom line...there are 2 sides to this equation.  If you are playing at a church ESPECIALLY that is NOT your home church, you deserve to be paid for your time, gas, etc....

Offline PianoWizard

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • 費思是能力到不恐慌

« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2007, 05:42:00 PM »
Welcome to the LGM family "according2g".....Be Blessed.

PianoWiz...

Offline hammondboy

• LGM Member

« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2007, 11:39:00 PM »
In one's home church, one can certainly donate one's talents and time towards the ministry and that is admirable.  I play for a church, however, that is not my home church.  To me, a different scenario.  If you expect a person who is not a member of your congregation to come and accept a position as an organist or MOM, you are expecting them to be there for rehearsals, at all your services, when the choir goes out on Sundays and during the week....basically, unless their home church has services that are not at the same time as your own, you are expecting them to devote their entire "church time" to aiding in your music ministry.  Why would I not be paid?

"A workman is worthy of his hire" refers to preachers, musicians, etc....as in the Levites of the OT who were devoted to ministry within the church.

It is often said that musicians go for the highest dollar.  Since I have accepted a position outside of my home church as an organist, I have seen a different light and "the other side".  There are those who (on the other end) try to get out of paying musicians what they are worth.  Case in point:  Upon accepting a position as an organist, I voluntarily gave the church back $100 per week.  It is 3 years later, and after two or three raises I have still not been raised back to the original salary.  When I ask for a raise, I am usually promised one thing....and then an excuse is given as to why the amount agreed upon wasn't met (after the fact).

Bottom line...there are 2 sides to this equation.  If you are playing at a church ESPECIALLY that is NOT your home church, you deserve to be paid for your time, gas, etc....
I argee and we as musicians should be careful because people would try to pimp our gift

Offline MinAJ

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2007, 03:56:53 PM »
I argee and we as musicians should be careful because people would try to pimp our gift
That is a very good thought provoking statement.  Being "pimped".  That makes me wonder.  Not about my home church, but about knowing who's who.  Pimp or not?

Offline Prophetic Remnant

• LGM Member
  • "Touch not THIS anointed one...so STOP HATING"
    • PlayGospelKeys

« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2007, 12:45:47 AM »
Not about my home church, but about knowing who's who.  Pimp or not?

I like that.  ;)

Offline chrissssssss

• LGM Member
  • nice to see yall too

« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2007, 01:00:11 PM »
This is a re-occuring topic
"in jesus name amen"

Offline momuzik

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2007, 01:41:48 PM »
A lot is invested in being a church musician, e.g. being available for most services, rehearsals and revivals (including travelling) as well as the time spent at home learning and practicing songs. Don't forget the money spent on musical training, musical instruments, stands, stools, memory cards, carrying cases, amps, cables, music media, your expertise and so on. It's only right and fitting that musicians get compensated for their efforts.
For me, I don't get paid; not because I don't want to, but because the church just doesn't have the funds yet (I know because I help count it). So I just keep in mind that what I do, I do wholeheartely as unto the Lord.
But, if I'm offered, I will glady accept it in Jesus' Name!
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up