LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Gettin' Paid to Play?  (Read 13691 times)

Offline MinAJ

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

Re: Gettin' Paid to Play?
« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2007, 08:48:04 PM »
I would to. 
Now unto him who is able...

Offline blessedhands80

• LGM Member
  • Kailyn Rose 9-4-07...MY BUNDLE OF JOY..

« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2007, 09:18:38 AM »
Our gives us "love offerings" once in a while...but i play only for God's Glory...
My moms space...still under construction...stay tuned...
http://www.myspace.com/golden_designs

Offline MinAJ

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #22 on: May 15, 2007, 06:56:10 PM »
I posted this thread kinda when I first started on LGM.  I know it may be a reoccuring topic, but in my experience there just seems to be a different attitude with the musicians who don't get paid vs. those who do.  I'm not hating on musicians who get paid because most of my friends that are muscians do.  To me there just seems to be an humbleness that I usually don't see with those who get paid.  Just my opinion. ;)

Offline henrythrower

• LGM Member
  • Me and my Cynthia

« Reply #23 on: May 18, 2007, 02:09:52 PM »
I started out at my church not getting paid and it was fine.  To tell you the truth, I didn't know that there were any musicians that got paid.  Then they started paying me.  No lies, I like the money, but I would still do it for free.

When I go to other churches that do not have a musician, I jump on the piano or organ without a thought to get paid or not.  It is something that I love to do and it is my worship.  Sometimes they pay, sometimes they do not and I never ask.

That being said, I think that that is the proper attitude to always have.  However, if the musician is so good and so in demand that he has to make a choice to do his/her music or hold down a job, I think that the churches calling him/her should pay them.
I would rather be one of kind than a cheap copy of a great original.

Offline MinAJ

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #24 on: May 19, 2007, 10:28:33 PM »
Welcome to LGM henrythrower!  If you don't mind me asking, where were you raised that you never heard of musicians being paid?  You sound alot like me exept I knew musicians got paid.  I just new there was no way in there world where I belonged that I was going to ever get paid.  That's just the way it was there.

Offline adaria

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • MOMMA, BROTHER, AND I
    • myspace

« Reply #25 on: May 19, 2007, 10:53:29 PM »

God gave me this gift. I use it to glorify Him as an act of charity (love).   
I prefer not to take any money from any church I play in.
Also, I have other means of financial support.
MOMMA, BROTHER, AND I

Offline henrythrower

• LGM Member
  • Me and my Cynthia

« Reply #26 on: May 25, 2007, 09:37:02 AM »
Welcome to LGM henrythrower!  If you don't mind me asking, where were you raised that you never heard of musicians being paid?  You sound alot like me exept I knew musicians got paid.  I just new there was no way in there world where I belonged that I was going to ever get paid.  That's just the way it was there.

I am from the Pittsburgh area, but I went to my family's church until I was 18 when I went to colliege and began playing for the college's choir.  From there, I went to my current church, Superior Emmanuel C.O.G.I.C.  I guess, nobody really offered me any money until I was the musician for a good 9 years at my current church.  I didn't have any real connections at that time with other musicians, so I just never thought about it.
I would rather be one of kind than a cheap copy of a great original.

Offline bug

• LGM Member
  • Best teacher is one who makes you want to learn.
    • http://Music Services

« Reply #27 on: July 11, 2007, 11:55:37 AM »
Welcome to the real world young man.  Church people are just people.  You will just have to deal with their personalities.

Play, study and learn. You will benefit from the experience.  Sometimes experience is better than money.

brother scott
The greatest mistake most amateur musicians make is giving up.  Don't give up !!!

Offline TerryRH

• LGM Member

« Reply #28 on: July 12, 2007, 12:00:18 AM »
I started out at my church not getting paid and it was fine.  To tell you the truth, I didn't know that there were any musicians that got paid.  Then they started paying me.  No lies, I like the money, but I would still do it for free.

When I go to other churches that do not have a musician, I jump on the piano or organ without a thought to get paid or not.  It is something that I love to do and it is my worship.  Sometimes they pay, sometimes they do not and I never ask.

That being said, I think that that is the proper attitude to always have.  However, if the musician is so good and so in demand that he has to make a choice to do his/her music or hold down a job, I think that the churches calling him/her should pay them.

I agree 100%. When they pay me at the church I play at, especially the first time, it caught me off guard. I play because I love to play...not to get paid. That being said, I appreciate the fact that they show me their appreciation for me playing for them.
Praise him with the timbrel and dance: praise him with stringed instruments and organs. Psalm 150:4

Offline luvdahammond

• LGM Member
  • " b.washington "

« Reply #29 on: October 27, 2007, 04:17:09 AM »
Gettin paid to play.... This is not a hard question nor is it easy becasue some folks look at this subject in so many ways. If you are a musician in your church, and your expected to be at all services, rehersals, teach music, teach voices, learn new songs, work with the prasie team, choir etc. Yes I strongly believe that you need to be on salary, !!!"IF"!!!  ( I know I just lost half of the congregation right there ha!ha!) Only if you are a tithe and offering payer! Its only right, for you to plant a seed back into the house that continues to bless you!! If not then you are prostituting the annointing that God has put on your life!
bARRY wASHINGTON II

Offline PianoWizard

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • 費思是能力到不恐慌

« Reply #30 on: October 27, 2007, 06:23:46 PM »
Welcome to the LGM family "luvdahammond".....Be Blessed.

PianoWiz...

Offline musallio

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Merry Christmas to you :-)
    • Hear & Play page

« Reply #31 on: November 11, 2007, 08:58:12 AM »
I like Adaria's attitude& Henrythrower nailed it home with his comment.
At my home church, we have a player who is just like U, except that he is still not being paid.
However, our leaders decided 2 get a professional player who gets paid.
He has built our choir from shatters & now they can compete with some of the best in the region, are stable & they're doing it 4 God's Glory..

The players have had their ups& downs (diff tastes & ideas of how they should play etc), but they make up. It is awesome when they play 2geda...but sometimes 1 finds that it is the paid player who comes while the unpaid 1 goes to play in ada crusades/ churches, where he will be paid!!

If I was to play, twouldnt so much to be paid, I just play as a fill in bcos I love 2 play.
If i ws invited & taken out my way, if I didnt have 2 use my fuel, I wouldnt accept the money bcos I would feel weird.
If I incurred expenses 2 get there/ I was using my board, a few months back I wouldnt take the $, but now I would bcos I'm no longer naive, ppl can take advantage of your equipment, but when it's maintanance/ U hv 2 buy a new 1, Ur on your own ::) :(

Whatever you do, so long as U can stand boldly b4 God, then it's good.
Powered & Sponsored by Jesus Christ...

Offline pianoplaya_08

• LGM Member

« Reply #32 on: December 14, 2007, 07:29:46 PM »
i get paid, but i dnt make a big deal b/c its not about me, the bible does say tho that the workman is worthy of his hire...so i jus say b fair and god bless cuz u better blieve the pastor is getting paid 4 his/her MISNISTRY.... so jus watever GOD COMMANDS u 2 do is best

Offline PianoWizard

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • 費思是能力到不恐慌

« Reply #33 on: December 15, 2007, 07:02:40 PM »
Welcome to the LGM family "pianoplaya_08"....Be Blessed.

PianoWiz...

Offline musallio

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Merry Christmas to you :-)
    • Hear & Play page

« Reply #34 on: December 17, 2007, 07:07:10 AM »
Welcome to the LGM family "pianoplaya_08"....Be Blessed.

njoy the gr8 company here!!
Powered & Sponsored by Jesus Christ...

Offline TySpeaks

• LGM Member

« Reply #35 on: January 10, 2008, 09:36:29 AM »
I 've been playing for eight years. My home church doesn't pay, ever. If a person gives of his time to learn the music well and has to carry equipment then I feels they should be compensated. And yes, if they are in high demand then they should be payed all the more. For certain events such as funerals,I won't accept pay. But for weddings, banquets, and weekday services, compensation would be nice. I NEVER ask, I always wait to be offered.

Offline momuzik

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #36 on: January 10, 2008, 12:03:49 PM »
IMO, there should at least be an attempt to bless the MOM simply because it's in line with the Word of God - I Tim. 6:17 Let the elders that rule well be counted worthy of double honour, especially they who labour in the word and doctrine. 18For the scripture saith, thou shalt not muzzle the ox that treadeth out the corn. And, The labourer is worthy of his reward. Even though MOM's are not all elders, I think they fall in this category as laborers and ministers through music.

Offline mthomas

• LGM Member

« Reply #37 on: January 10, 2008, 12:38:12 PM »
I know this is a late response to this post. I just became a member to this site. I appreciate the attitude you have towards your caling to be a musician. Biblically the levites and priests were all compensated (in the form of their food and lodging) for rendoring service unto the Lord in the temple. The thing is if a church is not able to compensate their musician then that's one thing. However, if they are and choose not to I believe that is a sin before God. Will it cause them to go to hell, no but it will delay or even stop the blessing of God from flowing in the ministries. I believe this is a big reason why singers and musicians leave church and play in the world becuase some times the church is not adequately taking care of it's own. Me personally right now I can get paid at other ministries anywhere from 600-2000 USD per month to play but i chosse to stay at my home church because it is where I got saved, empowered by the Holy Spirit and called to ministry. I am here becuase I love to be and there is no other place as of this time where my soul can get fed. So the bottom line stay committed to God and use the gift He has blessed you with to bless others and when He is ready financially you will have to turn down offers because to many will be coming in.

Offline Big T.

• LGM Member

« Reply #38 on: January 31, 2008, 09:35:03 AM »
I am a paid musician, or shall I say a professional musician. I believe that it is not out of order for musicians to be paid. You would not tell Commonwealth Edison the Lord is the one who gave us electricity, so I don't feel that I should pay my bill. You would be sitting in the dark trying to read your bible by candle light. ;D ;D ;D
Go with God, cause He always goes with you.

Offline organman88

• LGM Member
    • Kue Musik Entertainment

« Reply #39 on: February 02, 2008, 10:24:18 AM »
First off playing and intrument is a talent but your girt from god is ministering through your gift thats what people don't understand. Im a paid musician and honestly if i played for free i wouldn't be as commited for the simple fact there is nothing you gain from it and plus being a musician in and out of church is a job because of all the time throughout the week you put in to it, i know many people are probably thinking i just go for the money and i dont. If i dont get paid sometimes i dont play cuz people WILLtake advantage of you and u can still worship god without music. For example most churches hire musicians to enhance the service not really to bring people to god through music and if the musician enhances the pastor and the church is satisfied, so what does the musician get out of it if he/she isn't paid the answer is not the filling of the holy spirit and the word cuz everybody gets that and everybody can get it without a organist in the church but the answer in money. Many unpaid musicians and church members don't understand that (no disrespect lol) but what im saying is people flip the script to make it wrong for musicians to get paid!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
keyz 4 life
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up