LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Gettin' Paid to Play?  (Read 13642 times)

praisingGodthroughmusic

Re: Gettin' Paid to Play?
« Reply #40 on: February 02, 2008, 11:03:28 AM »
I get paid for my services and even if I didn't get paid I would still play because I glorify God with this gift no matter the situation so pay me or not I'll still play it wouldn't bother me one way or the other,bit it is a lot of work put in to be a musician buying material for the choir and putting a good practice week,playing for different services,so on and on...but nonetheless I still enjoy what I do at all times. Be Blessed!

Offline seemunny

• LGM Member

« Reply #41 on: May 04, 2008, 05:03:33 AM »
Real quick....gas, food, clothes, and shelter cost the same for church musicians as it does for anybody else. The world ain't giving gospel musicians all this good stuff for free. 8)

Offline Steelpulz

• LGM Member
    • gospelbassmusic

« Reply #42 on: May 04, 2008, 08:52:40 AM »
I was playing for a church for nothing and the pastor decided that he wanted to give a small love token for me playing.  Then when I moved back home, my dad decided he wanted to give me a salary for playing.  He believes that the lead musician should be the second highest paid person in the church, behind the preacher.  I mean if you really think about it, the organ player is the person who has to be there at the beginning of the service, has to be available throughout the entire service, is expected to be at every rehearsal, every service, and anything else needing music.  If you're the only person in the church who plays the organ, who else is going to take your place when you're not there?  There are multiple directors, usually more than one preacher, the choir sings only two to four songs, sometimes more than one drummer.  Is there anyone else in the church who is expected to participate from beginning to end of the service?  I know we hope everyone would participate but there is only one person who is EXPECTED to participate.

I wouldn't say that being paid be a requesite for your playing in the service, but I would say if it's offered, don't turn it down. 
HelloBiznizman, I am a bassist and the churches I play for have the same expectations of me.
Conklin GTBD-7, Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0, Glasstone Lil G2, Holy Bible

Offline krow

• LGM Member

« Reply #43 on: May 22, 2008, 02:30:07 PM »
I get paid $50 a week to play at my church, but nothing for rehearsals, 2 per week, or for special church outings and there a lot of them., or for evening services and all the in between stuff.  I also work a full time job and am the assitant pastor.   I give the $50 back to the church as a tithe.  I don't mind, but I will say this-most folks, including Pastors don't often appreciate the presence of a faithful minister of music who has a vested interest in the ministry and has chosen to stay no matter what.  It amazes me how Preachers feel that they should get paid when they preach at outings but that the musican is to be left hanging.  IF you are a dedicated musician, you are present before, sometimes even more often than the Pastor at events and have to be in tune with the flow of the spirit, the service, the musicians, the choir director and the cues of the Pastor or speaker of the hour.  This is not to complain, but to let everyone know that there is a price to pay with every gifting.  If you don't want to deal with this, maybe you shouldn't be a minister of music.  But as for me, I love what I do and would not trade what God has given me or where he has placed me for anything!     

Offline under13

• LGM Member

« Reply #44 on: May 22, 2008, 02:37:40 PM »
I dont get paid to play, but I also dont follow the Pastor around, dont play at evening services, funerals, fish frys or any other special event. You gotta draw the line somewhere, cuz churches will use and abuse you.

Offline ferrente

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • The Lord Can Do All Things!

« Reply #45 on: May 22, 2008, 03:27:08 PM »
Good Topic!
Trust in the Lord and do good so shalt thou dwell in the land and verily thou shalt be fed.

Offline ferrente

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • The Lord Can Do All Things!

« Reply #46 on: May 22, 2008, 03:31:29 PM »
Trust in the Lord and do good so shalt thou dwell in the land and verily thou shalt be fed.

Offline psilentrain1

• LGM Member

« Reply #47 on: May 23, 2008, 11:04:04 PM »
You gotta draw the line somewhere, cuz churches will use and abuse you.

YES....I'm thinking about asking for a raise at the church I mainly play at, because lateley we've been doing 3 or 4 services per week.  Plus, we have two HUGE concerts this summer.. A mid-summer concert at the church and we're doing the Southern Baptist Convention's Kingdom J.A.M at Kings Dominion in July. So, after gas, choir rehearsals, band rehearsals, learning plus scoring music for the band, equipment and performance clothes...I'm usually broke, because I'm only paid for Sunday service.  On to Human Resources for me!!!

God Bless!!!
Romans 12:12

Offline Steelpulz

• LGM Member
    • gospelbassmusic

« Reply #48 on: May 24, 2008, 12:25:51 AM »
YES....I'm thinking about asking for a raise at the church I mainly play at, because lateley we've been doing 3 or 4 services per week.  Plus, we have two HUGE concerts this summer.. A mid-summer concert at the church and we're doing the Southern Baptist Convention's Kingdom J.A.M at Kings Dominion in July. So, after gas, choir rehearsals, band rehearsals, learning plus scoring music for the band, equipment and performance clothes...I'm usually broke, because I'm only paid for Sunday service.  On to Human Resources for me!!!

God Bless!!!
That is crazy!!! You'd betta fix that!!!

Offline psilentrain1

• LGM Member

« Reply #49 on: June 18, 2008, 11:15:43 AM »
IMO, there should at least be an attempt to bless the MOM simply because it's in line with the Word of God - I Tim. 6:17 Let the elders that rule well be counted worthy of double honour, especially they who labour in the word and doctrine. 18For the scripture saith, thou shalt not muzzle the ox that treadeth out the corn. And, The labourer is worthy of his reward. Even though MOM's are not all elders, I think they fall in this category as laborers and ministers through music.

I don't know if anybody pointed this out yet, but for reference that is I Timothy 5:17-18

God Bless!!!!
Romans 12:12

Offline momuzik

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #50 on: June 18, 2008, 01:29:43 PM »
my bad. thanks

Offline grissle

• LGM Member

« Reply #51 on: June 19, 2008, 04:00:38 PM »
Playing for the lord is the best thing way to look at this topic. I played for my home church for about 2 years and was not paid. I never brought it up but it went thru my mind alot. I talk to alot of musicians and they pretty much said welcome to the world of musicianship. We'll, one day we had a afternoon program at a nieghboring church and I was asked do I get paid for playing? Next thing I know I was playing and getting paid for it. I guess to make a long story short, if your playing for money and only money you might be in the wrong business,because if its all about the lord the reward will come. I promise you that ;)

Offline musallio

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Merry Christmas to you :-)
    • Hear & Play page

« Reply #52 on: June 19, 2008, 07:30:09 PM »
Playing for the lord is the best thing way to look at this topic. I played for my home church for about 2 years and was not paid. I never brought it up but it went thru my mind alot. I talk to alot of musicians and they pretty much said welcome to the world of musicianship. We'll, one day we had a afternoon program at a nieghboring church and I was asked do I get paid for playing? Next thing I know I was playing and getting paid for it. I guess to make a long story short, if your playing for money and only money you might be in the wrong business,because if its all about the lord the reward will come. I promise you that ;)

AMEN!
Powered & Sponsored by Jesus Christ...

Offline jomo7

• LGM Member
  • JOE SANDERS

« Reply #53 on: July 26, 2008, 09:58:04 PM »
Well Doc... think you got the wrong fourm this is the chord posting room. But I get paid very very well at to churchs and thats all i do but i do also do mor than just play chord i have a staff of musicans that im over. i have to make sure that everyone has their parts rite the right changes in the songs and all that good stuff so if you in the MD  postition Heck hey you should get paid. But theres nothin wron with HELPING out churchs that need you but dont have it to pay, But watch them cuz they will take advantage of you.
I do it all for his glory

Offline Bdsummerlin1

• LGM Member

« Reply #54 on: July 29, 2008, 11:53:59 AM »
Wow this is a good topic.I get paid monthly not much,but it really doesn't matter to me because Its all about the music for me,I love playing and have been since I was nine,I'm 15 now.Next year God is blessing me to be the lead keyboard player in about a year,I'm so excited.But bottomline is there's not a problem with getting paid to play for the church unless its all about the money(deep down in your heart).Spiritually if its not all about the money then you're fine.I see my monthly paycheck as an added benefit of my paying but not an obligation.
Playing Gospel is Playing a Piece of Me

Offline Steelpulz

• LGM Member
    • gospelbassmusic

« Reply #55 on: July 29, 2008, 12:22:54 PM »
First off playing and intrument is a talent but your girt from god is ministering through your gift thats what people don't understand. Im a paid musician and honestly if i played for free i wouldn't be as commited for the simple fact there is nothing you gain from it and plus being a musician in and out of church is a job because of all the time throughout the week you put in to it, i know many people are probably thinking i just go for the money and i dont. If i dont get paid sometimes i dont play cuz people WILLtake advantage of you and u can still worship god without music. For example most churches hire musicians to enhance the service not really to bring people to god through music and if the musician enhances the pastor and the church is satisfied, so what does the musician get out of it if he/she isn't paid the answer is not the filling of the holy spirit and the word cuz everybody gets that and everybody can get it without a organist in the church but the answer in money. Many unpaid musicians and church members don't understand that (no disrespect lol) but what im saying is people flip the script to make it wrong for musicians to get paid!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Yep.

Offline tdbdancy

• LGM Member

« Reply #56 on: July 30, 2008, 02:08:10 PM »
I played for my church(my father was the Pastor) for years and didn't get paid.  But I didn't get mad. I wanted to help and as the ministry grew and time went by they paid me and then there were increases in the pay. When my father died in 2004 I was getting paid a good salary.  My point is, if you use your gift to the glory of God without honestly looking for money-not only will God bless you but will cause those who you labored for to bless you and want to bless you more! God brought someone to the ministry who was in no way related to us - He brought it to everyone"s attention what the going salary was for a musician- they were happy to do all they could to come up mainly because I never complained or asked for money.  So keep praying and everything will work out.

Offline blesedone1

• LGM Member
  • Happily, Happily Married

« Reply #57 on: July 31, 2008, 10:47:07 AM »
Is there anyone playing at thier home church and not getting paid?  I'm not and I'm happy.  I'm trying to help build my dad's ministry but I've recieved a lot of criticism from people I thought were genuine.  What's gospel music come to?
I'm faithfully dedicated to God, my leaders, my church and my ministry I don't see the point in being paid because we (musicians) suppose to play for the glory and honor of God. It's the other musicians who attempts to get paid for a living to play what God blessed them with and it's not right! Unless of course your teaching at a school or having classes or something of that nature. I don't feel that any form of payment should be invovled. You have to make sure you're established in a church were they are preaching the word of God, being truthful with the word and not because they are in need of an organist, keyboard player/piano player. Hope this helps! You're not alone God said your gifts will make room.

Offline Steelpulz

• LGM Member
    • gospelbassmusic

« Reply #58 on: July 31, 2008, 01:46:52 PM »
I'm faithfully dedicated to God, my leaders, my church and my ministry I don't see the point in being paid because we (musicians) suppose to play for the glory and honor of God. It's the other musicians who attempts to get paid for a living to play what God blessed them with and it's not right! Unless of course your teaching at a school or having classes or something of that nature. I don't feel that any form of payment should be invovled. You have to make sure you're established in a church were they are preaching the word of God, being truthful with the word and not because they are in need of an organist, keyboard player/piano player. Hope this helps! You're not alone God said your gifts will make room.
What???? Do you have any scripture to back that up?

Offline MinAJ

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #59 on: August 28, 2008, 05:53:27 PM »
First I want to apologize for not being on this web site in so long.  Life has guaranteed me to be extremely busy all the time however, it's good to be back.  If you notice I posted this topic in Nov. of 2006.  It is now Aug 2008 and I'm still not being paid at my home church.  I don't say that with resentment but by way of testimony.  God has blessed my finances so much so, that I don't look for anything from the church.  All I ever wanted to do was help my father build his ministry and God saw that in my heart.  Of course there is nothing wrong with getting paid to play, but as some have already said,  if your heart isn't right with God and you're not receiving God's word daily, you're playing with dirty hands ::)
Now unto him who is able...
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up