LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 4 or 5  (Read 1681 times)

Offline cdg71

• LGM Member

4 or 5
« on: November 09, 2006, 10:33:29 AM »
I am a beginner bass player and has had different views on this subject. Should I learn
bass with a 4 string or 5 string first. Some say it's ok to learn with [5 string and others
say it's easier with a 4 string. I currently have a 4 string, but want to get a 5 string.
I just don't want it to throw me off my playing.  ::)b][/b]
Worship him in Music

Offline funkStrat_97

• LGM Member
  • Da' House Rocka' is in Da' House!
    • Facebook

Re: 4 or 5
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2006, 12:27:37 PM »
IMO, a 5-string is no more difficult to play than a 4.  As long as the bass feels comfortable to play, I see no rerason why you can't start out on a 5.  Now there are some things to take into consideration such as the feel and playability of the neck and DO NOT skimp on the amplification.  You don't have to buy a top of the line, high powered bass amp, but you need something that has a speaker that can handle the low end of a 5.
“Don't bother to give God instructions, just report for duty”
- Corrie Ten Boom

Offline gambit23435

• LGM Member
  • http://myspace.com/bassin4god
    • Bassin 4 God

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2006, 12:34:23 PM »
First, Welcome to LGM  ;D

Second, It doesn't matter what they tell you it is all about feel. Let me explain when you first start learning to play your anxious and nervous. Now add a instrument that just doesn't feel right, like it doesn't fit or feels to big. If it is not comfortable to you then you are going to be disappointed with trying to learn to play. Wether it is a 4 string or a 5 string if it doesn't feel right you won't want to play.

Advice: Hit the local music shop and try the different 4 strings and 5 strings. If you are comfortable with the 5 then go with it. There is not much difference in learning on a 4string then there is on a 5 string. there is nothing wrong with starting to learn on a 5 string. It not easier or harder.  Just different. ;)

P.S. I started on a 5 string. I don't regret it one bit. 8)
"A great guitar player is a great guitar player. A great bass player is a great musician"

Offline MikeGee

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My wife is over my right shoulder.
    • my out of church band

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2006, 03:20:00 PM »
IMO you can't really determine what feels good til you have been doing something for a while. WHat I mean is, over time a 4 a 5 and a 6 could feel good if you work with it.

I remember before I tried 5 string been playing 4. I didn't like it at all I hated it. Now I've been playing a 5 for a while (I mainly play 4). NOw a 6 string feels just as good as the 4. What I think is keep going to a local music store (assuming there is one near you) and try the 4 and 5 since that's all you meantion. Try them for as long as you need. Then make a choice.

Offline Dani_D

• LGM Member

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2006, 04:32:15 PM »
I am just starting out. I got a 5 string bass and I love it. I do want to get a 4 string bass on day but I will always stay with a 5 string.

Offline cdg71

• LGM Member

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2006, 03:34:38 PM »
Thanks, I think I will get me a 5 string soon. also does price make a different on the value
of your bass. I know some names are more popular than others which can up the price.
I just want a good bass sound that will last a long time. I can't spend a $1,000 on a bass
right know, but willing to spend about $550. Are there any good basses for that price?
Worship him in Music

Offline BigFoot_BigThumb

• LGM Member
  • The Waves SSL 4000 plug-ins. The greatest EVER!!!

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2006, 05:10:56 PM »
When it comes to buying a bass, especially these days, you will get what you pay for.  Sure they got basses that are bargains at $200-$300, but over time, you will have to worry about shorts in your electronics, or frets backing out.  You may get lucky and find a lower end bass that keeps it's quality for you.  A lot of the popular brands are making quality entry level stuff now, but it's really a matter of preference for you.  Just make sure the neck feels right in your hand and is easliy accessible up and down the fretboard.  Also, the weight has to feel comfortable when you wear it.  I would recommend some brands for you, but what works for me may not work for you.  It took me 5 months to find that perfect bass.  Good luck.   
When you've done your very best, do even better.

Offline Andrzej

• LGM Member
  • I've got 5 on it!
    • Kings Church

« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2006, 02:47:31 PM »
I don't think it really matters.  I have known a few people that started their learning on a 6-string and one guy I know bought a Conklin GrooveTool 7-string as his first bass.  I personally started on 4-string, then to a 5-string, then to a 6-string, back to a 5-string and now back to 4-string again!  I have been criticised that that my playing is too busy, so I have locked away my 5-strings and gone back to playing 4-string for a while.  The idea is to simplify to maximise.  It does feel sometimes like I am going back to basics, but I think it's a worthwhile exercise and I am already growing a new confidence.  I find that I am utlising a smaller space to play my runs, scales and licks, but keeping it simple.  And that's the trick when you are learning.  Keep it simple...don't try to run before you can walk.  Also, if you want to buy instructional materials such as books, CD-ROM's, DVD's etc...most will be transcribed mostly for 4-string bass at a basic to basic/intermediate level.  By all means buy a 6-string if you want to, but you may be restricted when it comes to personal tuition.

My friend Stuart has been playing 6-string for 10+ years.  He has never bought anything other than a 6-string and refuses to play anything else.  I can remember one time a couple of years ago when we were at a small store trying out some amps and they did not have a 6-string bass for him to play with.  He played on a 4-string Music Man Sterling and really struggled to complete his runs and licks as he depends very heavily on the extra strings that his basses provide.  Stuart is a very fluent player, but it sounded like someone took a limb away from him.  The way that you navigate your fingers and hand positions around the neck is very different depending on how many strings are on your bass.  The best advice I can give is to cover your bases and start low to high and minimize your dependency for extra strings.  Also, you will understand the geometry of the neck no matter if you may have to play a bass with fewer strings that you are less accustomed to.

There is no right or wrong depending on how many strings you want to learn with.  Whatever makes you comfortable?  You can learn just as quickly no matter what you use, but you have to commit to it for a while.  Changing early on can really disorientate you and put you back in your learning.

Offline rebuked

• LGM Member
    • Myspace

« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2006, 09:17:04 AM »
I can't make a decision for you, I can only say how I feel.  I feel that everybody must pay their dues.  Buy a cheap 4 string, and then work your way up.  Unless you are a rich kid, your first car isnt gonna be a BMW 740li.  You are gonna get a 1983 geo or something as your first car.  Then you just work your way up.  So I would say get a 4 string and work your way up.  THere are 4 string bass players who can eat someone that owns a 7 string.  Look at Victor Wooten, and look at old Hezekiah Walker dvds, his bass player did all of that on a 4 string bass.  But it also depends on personal preference.  I always say pay your dues so that you appreciate it more.
Hebrews 12:14

Offline MikeGee

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
    • my out of church band

« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2006, 03:53:55 PM »

Yea, Victor Wooten, Victor Bailey and Stanley Clarke who are all on the list of "The Great Bass Players", most of the time are using a 4 string bass. I don't believe that moving from a 4 string to a 5 string is an upgrade. It's something different.

Offline KurzLand

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2006, 12:43:47 AM »
I like playing 4 strings. So I say 4 strings.
"Experience is not what happens to a man; it is what a man does with what happens to him." -A.Huxley

Offline Cherri

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Imperial Majesty! $200,000...

« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2006, 08:46:27 AM »
Both, if you desire. No limits... I plan on having and playing 4,5 and 6...
What can I $ay Juanita Bynum is my cicerone.

Offline MikeGee

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
    • my out of church band

« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2006, 10:33:36 AM »
Both, if you desire. No limits... I plan on having and playing 4,5 and 6...

I'd have to agree here. I want a 4,5,6 and a fretless 4 and I have everything except the 6.

Offline jeremyr

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Callowhill fanatic
    • My Youtube Chanel

« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2006, 10:52:52 AM »
the numer of strins doest matter.  A 5 string gives you 5 more notes and more handf positions the a 4.  Thats it.

Keep this in mind. You can play a 5 like you play a 4, but you ca't play a 4 the same as you could a 5.
Somebody put me in the key of E#
Pages: [1]   Go Up