LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: MUSICIANS THAT WANT TO PLAY YOUR STUFF  (Read 6523 times)

Offline rebuked

• LGM Member
    • Myspace

MUSICIANS THAT WANT TO PLAY YOUR STUFF
« on: November 14, 2006, 11:55:19 AM »
I was playing at a church over the weekend and they called on a guest choir.  Now i didnt know there was going to be guest choirs.  Anyway, the bass player comes up to me, looks at my stuff and asked to play my bass.  My first thought was no, but I didnt want to cause a fight to break out, so with all regrets I gave him my bass.  My issue is, musicians coming to a gig without their equipment.  Now I bring my equipment everywhere I go.  Everything from my tuners to my cab.  Especially since I have very expensive equipment, im not so quick to let someone grab my bass and want to play.  For now on, the answer is NO.  I dont care who you are, if you are gonna walk up and ask to use my equipment, the answer is NO.  THey want to retune my settings on my amp and play as loud as they feel.  Sorry isnt gonna buy me new tubes or speakers.  For now on, nobody plays my stuff.  You may say im selfish, but nobody is gonna come out of thieir pockets to pay for the damage done.  I cant believe that someone would walk up to the musicians area without his instrument.  Even drummers bring their own sticks.  I just cant do it anymore.  Am I wrong for feeling that way.  I mean everywhere I go, if im playing 1 song, I bring everything, unless directed not to do so.  And even then, I keep it in my car just in case I want my sound.  For the most part I always bring everything.  FOr now on, the answer is no.  ONce they see someone who has good equipment, that is the first thing they want to jump on.  Dont ask me anymore because the answer is no.  Am I wrong for feeling this way?
Hebrews 12:14

Offline ddwilkins

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My Arsenal!!!!
    • D'Wayne's Spot

Re: MUSICIANS THAT WANT TO PLAY YOUR STUFF
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2006, 12:09:20 PM »
I've only let one person play my bass and that was about 3 weeks ago.  My boy Jamareo Artis showed up at a concert that my church was putting on and as soon as he walked, another choir asked if he could play with them.  He wasn't prepared so he didn't have his bass.  I immediately said he could use mine.  I don't mind him because, he professional and takes really I mean really good care of his equipment.  Normally I will let someone use my cab if I'm already set up.  I don't see the need for switching out all that euipment in the middle of service or concerts so I don't mind, but I will be standing right by it to turn it down if someone jacks the volume up on it.  But noone uses my basses, this was the only exception because I know him and trust him.  He's actually let my use his bass before.
Keep God first and he'll do the rest!!!

Offline Cherri

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Imperial Majesty! $200,000...

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2006, 12:14:37 PM »
Nope! Musicians are always prepared regardless...
What can I $ay Juanita Bynum is my cicerone.

Offline GolfCart

• LGM Member

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2006, 12:19:25 PM »
I never really thought about this.  I've been playing the drums for years and Yah, I always took my own sticks and sometimes snare depending on where I was going to play(and expected other drummers to do the same).  Now that I'm playing the bass I feel the same way you do.  I don't want people all over my stuff, especially the people who don't take care of their stuff. 

Honestly, I'm a pretty nice and quiet guy so hopefully I'll be able to say no when the time comes, when someone's asks to use my equipment.  This stuff gets too expensive to just let everyone use...

But in my opinion I don't think its wrong...but who knows... ;D

Offline gambit23435

• LGM Member
  • http://myspace.com/bassin4god
    • Bassin 4 God

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2006, 12:22:41 PM »
 I am definitely with you on that one brotha. The only person I've ever allowed to play my basses has been the man who taught me to play and he's a pro. :)
"A great guitar player is a great guitar player. A great bass player is a great musician"

Offline MikeGee

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My wife is over my right shoulder.
    • my out of church band

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2006, 12:25:23 PM »
To each his/her own. I don't feel this way. I'll let anyone use it along side me.

Offline fenderjazz

• LGM Member
    • http://

« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2006, 01:25:48 PM »
I generally don't mind letting people use my bass under reasonable circumstances. On the other hand I do think it's a bit irresponsible for someone to show up at an engagement without a bass. So in that situation I'd probably say no.

Offline jeremyr

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Callowhill fanatic
    • My Youtube Chanel

« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2006, 01:48:59 PM »
To each his/her own. I don't feel this way. I'll let anyone use it along side me.

I'm with Mike.  As long as you don't have finger hands and I'm standing right there then why not.  I mean how much damage can they do to your bass if you're right there next to them. 

Now one thing i won't do is let someone change my settings...unless we're messing around after church or just in general, but in the middle of a service no way. 

the way I see it your music is a ministry.  And a ministry is sharing and giving.  You're essentially holding back parts of God's work by saying no.  I personally don't want to hold someone back because i'm caught up on "my bass might get a belt scratch on it in the 15 mintues of use".  Now as far as musicians being prepared when they go somewhere that's another story.  I've been in stuations where the church we were going to told us they had drums, so my drummer didn't pack up his, but when we go there they were someon's personal set, so he asked to use them, but he was denied.  This situation works with drums, but as far as a bass I would agree that if you know you're playing you should atleast have your own bass, but if you don't and you just want to praise God then by all means use my bass.

Somebody put me in the key of E#

Offline mr.dj

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Coko and Mae

« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2006, 02:19:45 PM »
I feel that all Bassist should bring there own and head, but as far as cabinets those thing are a bit heavy so I would say share those.
"Even when you're justified, be dignified."  Cornel West

Offline BigFoot_BigThumb

• LGM Member
  • The Waves SSL 4000 plug-ins. The greatest EVER!!!

« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2006, 02:59:21 PM »
I can agree with you bruh.  I come as a drummer who has a professional kit.  I have taken my kit to places, and people decide they want to play my kit.  I mean they have outright said to me, "man I wanna play your drums cause they're nice."  I have also been in the situation where I was told there was a kit at the other spot I had to play at.  I get there and it's a $200 Wal-Mart kit, or pieces of it are missing because the drummer took it with him so no one could play it.  Now if it's your personal equipment, then let that person know that they are to respect your stuff.

I've even been in a situation where I was playing for an artist opening up for a major R&B group.  The promoter told them they could use my drums because he was too cheap to rent them a kit.  I was going to say no, but this was an opportunity for my friend who I was playing for, and I didn't want to mess it up for him.  I think the promoter knew that so he played that card on me.  Needless to say, this was a young drummer who beat the "(I can't even think of a word to describe it)" out of my drums.  He played so hard, that he put a big pit mark in my kick drum head.  My KICK drum head.  I was livid.  And to top it all off, the negor didn't even thank me for letting him use my stuff.  I had to buy a new kick drum head because of that.  That makes me very picky about who plays my stuff now.  I mean you made it out of this one ok.  I say use your best judgement. 
When you've done your very best, do even better.

Offline musiqisme26

• LGM Member
  • Yaron MusicCo. Gospels Fresh Sound!

« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2006, 03:02:06 PM »
I am definitely with you on that one brotha. The only person I've ever allowed to play my basses has been the man who taught me to play and he's a pro. :)

is that a dpcustom bass in your avatar and if so is it your personal bass?

Offline gambit23435

• LGM Member
    • Bassin 4 God

« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2006, 03:07:40 PM »
is that a dpcustom bass in your avatar and if so is it your personal bass?

Yes, it is a DP Custom. Yes, it is my personal bass. :)
"A great guitar player is a great guitar player. A great bass player is a great musician"

Offline musiqisme26

• LGM Member

« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2006, 03:11:38 PM »
for the topic at hand every bass player should bring his own axe i do feel however you might be a lil harsh on the rig setup what if like 4 churches are coming to your church do really all would go well with all those rigs set up. if i came to your church without my bass i dont play its as simple as that however if would ask to run thru your rig and not touch your settings. i feel the same way about drums like bring your own sticks, snare, footpedal but dont change the drummer settings to fit your learn to adapt.

but if dude started messing wit the rig setup his or (my cable) would be snatched out quick and his career with my stuff will be short lived

Offline DWBass

• LGM Member
  • Make A Joyful Noise!

« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2006, 03:55:50 PM »
I have not encountered that too much but in one band I was in, we used to do a lot of Korean and Philipino corporate and private functions and I have to say both ethnic groups like to show off their music skills and are always asking to play band members instruments or get on stage and sing! They are pretty knowledgeable about gear and take care of it while playing. No negative issues to report. Normally I'd have said no. In a church setting, it seems okay to do.
"Never Leave Home Without Your Groove On" :)

Offline rebuked

• LGM Member
    • Myspace

« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2006, 05:24:55 PM »
I have never removed someone else equipment.  I just look for a spot that is not being used and set up.  Ive also been to gigs or concerts where they say they have good equipment, and I get there and its a 50 watt blown amp.  I know I play loud, and I dont want to damage the equipment of anybody.  SO i just bring mine.  Im not being cocky, I just dont want to blow anybody amp or anything.  I would rather suffer with bringing in my own equipment, then slightly damage anybody elses.  Because im just playing for a few minutes, but they have to play that later.  Its different if you didnt know you was playing, but if you knew and didnt bring your bass thats different.  How would you like for a preacher to come up to you and ask to borrow your Bible while he preaches.  Or just doesnt come prepared with a message.  I think I will start bring 2 basses.  My bass and a loaner.  I just bought a Ken Smith Black Tiger and I dont want other people playing it.  I mean, you wouldnt want another man to borrow your wife would ya?
Hebrews 12:14

Offline jeremyr

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Callowhill fanatic
    • My Youtube Chanel

« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2006, 05:40:58 PM »
Wou wouldnt want another man to borrow your wife would ya?
as much as I want to agree with you I have to say this.  A bass is not a wife.  Period.  It will never be your companion in life, so that's not a fair comparison.  Also sometiems people just forget things, it's not the most professional thing to do...especailly when that's your main reason for going somewhere, but it happens.

I mean honsetly how many people have gone to class without a pen before?  I have and I know almost everyone of you out there have as well.
Somebody put me in the key of E#

Offline malthumb

• LGM Member
  • Praise Is What I Do
    • Your Car Does What?!?!?

« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2006, 06:01:09 PM »
If I were in Rebuked's position, I would have politely declined.  I know that can be uncomfortable.  Usually if I'm playing in a venue where other bassists are playing, my bass goes on the stage with me when I go up and comes off with me when I step down.  Funny thing is, I played at two different churches Sunday and didn't follow that norm.  I was on pins and needles concerned that somebody would just start clownin' on my axe.  Or even worse, accidentally bump it off the stand.  That is the real reason it normally goes with me instead of staying on set. 

I have on one occasion said to a guy who asked "....If it was one of my other basses I'd consider it, but I don't let anyone else play my Alembic".  He said "I can understand that" and he went and got his own bass.  He just saw an opportunity to play a type of bass he had never seen before.

It gets to be a bit trickier with amps, since you rarely can just take them with you.

Peace,

James
FAITH unites people
RELIGION divides FAITH

Offline musiqisme26

• LGM Member

« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2006, 06:04:49 PM »
Yes, it is a DP Custom. Yes, it is my personal bass. :)

do you mind sharing with specs, pricing and all cuz im gonna order one as soon as he restarts taking orders which he says will be in January. i like 2-3 in the gallery section on his website he emailed me back today so im too tell him which ones i like so i can get pricing which is why i asked about pricing on yours. do you have any close up pics and how much do you like or love your bass?

Offline Andrzej

• LGM Member
  • I've got 5 on it!
    • Kings Church

« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2006, 06:29:13 PM »
Your perfectly entitled to not allow other players use your kit.  My basses are very valuable to me and not exactly very cheap.  Truth of the matter is none of my basses are cheap.  I have let the other bass player at my church use my basses from time to time as I know I can trust him to take care of it as he owns a couple of very nice high-end MusicMan's and he knows take care whist handling an instrument.  I dunno if a complete stranger is able to do the same.  One very brave guy asked me once at a church conference 2yrs ago if he could use my Custom Warwick Dolphin for the evening even though he had brought along his own bass.  I replied "Sure...if I can borrow your daughter!".  He didn't quite get that joke, so I asked him was his bass was not working.  His reply was "No...mine works fine.  Yours is nicer!".  Not a good enough reason.  He travelled all the way from Canada and only brought one bass, so if it wasn't working I would have been a lot more accomodating and helped the guy out.  All the damage that other people have done my equipment over the years has only received an apology.  A sincere apology is always appreciated, but doesn't pay for the damage.  I know I could damage my own equipment as easily as the next person, but in the hands of another would kill me.  Put it this way...could you let a complete stranger take your brand new Corvette for a drive across town and back without knowing if they can drive or not?  Same principle.  The biggest problem I have is kids running onto the stage after the service is over, progress to pick up my bass whilst I have my back turned when I am chatting to someone off stage and try to play the new Red Hot Chilli Peppers song on the radio.  That drives me nuts!  As soon as I stop playing the basses go back into their cases and are locked.   I have been in many situations where a support band shows up with a small 100w bass combo, take a look at my rig and then the sheepish permission to use my rig follows.  I have a lot of outboard equipment set up to my rig and changing the settings for another player is out of the question as it takes a long time switch back to my own setup and the line check that I originally sound checked with is ruined front of house and your engineer shoots daggers at you for making their job very difficult.

At my church there is a small Ampeg combo house rig that anyone is entitled to use, but you have to bring your own wood.  I don't like the house rig too much, so I always take my combo and a couple of basses along.  The drummers bring their own snares, brass and even their own stools, the horn section brings their own instruments, the guitar players bring their own amps and guitars...the lead singers even bring their own mics!  If you don't come with your instrument then you don't play...simple as that.  If you can't afford an instrument then there is a fund programme that is arranged through the church whereby you are loaned money to buy an afforable instrument, but that is usually only reserved for musicians that have been invited to join 1st Ministry Team.

Offline gambit23435

• LGM Member
    • Bassin 4 God

« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2006, 06:48:50 PM »
Sure, I'd love to. ;D

5 string DP Custom Double cut
35 inch scale 24 frets
Body: Spalted Maple top on Maple Body
Neck: 3 piece Padauk/Maple/Padauk
Matching Spalted Maple headstock
Macassar Ebony Fret board
Visible neck through
Gold hardware with individual string bridge
Pickup soapbar Mighty Mites
3 band Bartolini preamp
Schaller straplock.
Strings are Dean Markley Super Rounds

This is a versitile tone beast.
It is a little on the heavy side but well worth it for the outstanding sounds it can produce.
It has some minor cosmetic flaws, but nothing that ever make me give it up.

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up