LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: i've been wondering 4 a long time (what does open the flood gates mean) morton  (Read 17864 times)

Offline monalisa

• LGM Member

i just wanted to no--------when they are singing open the flood gates exactly wat are they talking about

thank you  so much

be blessed

monalisa

Offline T-Block

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • I got my MBA!!!

I assume they are talking about the scripture that refers to God "opening the windows of Heaven, and pouring you out a blessing you won't have room to receive."  I believe that's found in Malachi 3:5, talking about if you pay your tithes and offerings, God will bless you with way more than you could imagine.

That's how I look at it, my answer maybe right or wrong, but it sounds right to me.
Real musicians play in every key!!!
Music Theory, da numbers work!

Offline THE WOLFMAN

• LGM Member

BUT WHY DID DUDE DO THE "PRINCE" LICK FROM PURPLE RAIN AT THE END?

I FELL OUT WHEN I HEARD THAT.... ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline laj528

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Preach the word!
    • H.O.P.E. Ministries

BUT WHY DID DUDE DO THE "PRINCE" LICK FROM PURPLE RAIN AT THE END?

For real......! ;D
Follow peace with all men, and holiness, without which no man shall see the Lord (Heb12:14)

TheGiftedOne

Bishop Paul S. Morton- 'Open the Flood Gates of Heaven'
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2006, 11:02:06 PM »
I never read anywhere in my bible about floodgates in Heaven ?/?, I've read about the windows of Heaven, but not floodgates. I saw someone asking about the meaning of this in piano chords request section, and I thought it was interesting. First off, remember Bishop Paul S. Morton's church was flooded in Louisiana, if I'm not mistaken. And do you know what was one reason why that part of Lousiana flooded- 1.) The Levys, I believe is what they called them, or gates that helped keep Lousiana from flooding broke, which made Lousiana flood. Do anybody get what I'm thinking? Not at all trying to be funny :-[, but I think it's pretty interesting that his song, 'Open the Floodgates of Heaven', basically matched what happended in Louisiana. How I see it is that so much rain came down, that the levys or 'flood gates' broke, and flooded the area. Once again not condeming Him, just a thinking you gotta be careful what you say or sing. :)

God is Good. That is what "God" means.

Offline SisterT

• Senior Moderator
  • LGM Member
  • New Look, Still Divalicious!
    • Earnest and Roline Ministries

Re: Bishop Paul S. Morton- 'Open the Flood Gates of Heaven'
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2006, 08:06:34 AM »

Man...I don't agree with this, you are waaaayyyy off with this one.. You missed the real meaning behind the song. The song is about God raining down His BLESSINGS.

Malachi 3:10 says "Bring ye all the tithes into the storehouse, that there may be meat in mine house, and prove me now herewith, saith the LORD of hosts, if I will not open you the windows of heaven, and pour you out a blessing, that there shall not be room enough to receive it.

I think the concept of the song is found within this verse. To pour a blessing can be equated to "raining". Flood gates of heaven is the Windows of heaven.

I don't think God pronounced such a thing to happen in New Orleans because of this song. God knows the hearts of man, therefore God knew exactly what Paul Morton was singing about, and I'm quite sure Paul Morton was not literally asking for rain and flood. He was using the words metaphorically.

And btw, it's a "levee".  ;)

Offline sjonathan02

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My heart

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2006, 08:09:46 AM »
Man...I don't agree with this, you are waaaayyyy off with this one.. You missed the real meaning behind the song. The song is about God raining down His BLESSINGS.

Malachi 3:10 says "Bring ye all the tithes into the storehouse, that there may be meat in mine house, and prove me now herewith, saith the LORD of hosts, if I will not open you the windows of heaven, and pour you out a blessing, that there shall not be room enough to receive it.

I think the concept of the song is found within this verse. To pour a blessing can be equated to "raining". Flood gates of heaven is the Windows of heaven.

I don't think God pronounced such a thing to happen in New Orleans because of this song. God knows the hearts of man, therefore God knew exactly what Paul Morton was singing about, and I'm quite sure Paul Morton was not literally asking for rain and flood. He was using the words metaphorically.

:D ;D :D ;D
Despite our communication technology, no invention is as effective as the sound of the human voice.

Offline SisterT

• Senior Moderator
  • LGM Member

« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2006, 08:28:17 AM »

:D ;D :D ;D

I wasn't trying to make you laugh. LOL!  ;D :D

Many people mess up the name of our flood protection system. Being that I am a native of New Orleans, I had an advantage of knowing the correct spelling. Lot's of "outsiders" mess up that word, along with many others.

But here's another thought------Would the God we serve flood an entire city and devasted so many folks, businesses, churches (cause Paul's churches wasn't the only ones affected) just because of the lyrics to a song.? If so, than one could argue God isn't all knowing----because He should have known what the writer of the song meant. LAwd help us today!!  :D Yes GiftedOne, you were a bit off on this one.

Offline SisterT

• Senior Moderator
  • LGM Member

« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2006, 08:32:04 AM »
I also just read the topic that GiftedOne refreed to that is posted in the piano CHords room, and this really should have been posted within that same thread, therefore, I shall merge the two.

Offline THE WOLFMAN

• LGM Member

« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2006, 08:35:50 AM »
I also just read the topic that GiftedOne refreed to that is posted in the piano CHords room, and this really should have been posted within that same thread, therefore, I shall merge the two.

**RUMBLE RUMBLE GROAN SQUEAK CRASH RUMBLE**

(the sound of two threads merging at the blast of sister T's nostrils...) :D

Offline SisterT

• Senior Moderator
  • LGM Member

« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2006, 08:41:05 AM »

**RUMBLE RUMBLE GROAN SQUEAK CRASH RUMBLE**

(the sound of two threads merging at the blast of sister T's nostrils...) :D

LOL!  ;D :D Man, you are funny!

Offline blessedhands80

• LGM Member
  • Kailyn Rose 9-4-07...MY BUNDLE OF JOY..

My moms space...still under construction...stay tuned...
http://www.myspace.com/golden_designs

Offline 4hisglory

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
    • Learn Gospel Musiic

The answer can be found at Super-Saint.com
:)

TheGiftedOne

I know what He is trying to get over in the song. All I'm saying is that I never read not one thing in the Holy Bible about floodgates in Heaven. Why would there be floodgates in Heaven considering that God promised Noah that he would never flood the earth again. I heard another version of this song, which was song by the Heritage church choir. They sung it 'Open the Windows of Heaven', and I believe this is the correct way to sing the song. There church haven't been flooded. And before someone says that it was his song he can do it how he wants, No he can't, God want's correct and perfect praise that lines up with Word. That's what I think.

TheGiftedOne

Actually I'll put it this way:
I know what He is trying to get over in the song. All I'm saying is that I never read not one thing in the Holy Bible about floodgates in Heaven. Why would there be floodgates in Heaven considering that God promised Noah that he would never flood the earth again. I heard another version of this song, which was song by the Heritage church choir. They sung it 'Open the Windows of Heaven', and I believe this is the correct way to sing the song. There church haven't been flooded. And before someone says that it was his song he can do it how he wants, No he shouldn't God want's correct and perfect praise that lines up with Word. That's what I think.

TheGiftedOne

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying New Orleans and the other cities flooded because of this song, I heard New Orleans was a sinful place anyway (which it probably was). But I am saying it could possibly be that Bishop Paul S. Morton's church was flooded because of the song. Anything is possible.

Offline SisterT

• Senior Moderator
  • LGM Member

It's a metaphor! Even the Bible uses metaphors. A metaphor is basically a figure of speech. The lyrics of the song is used figuratively. I think you are being too deep with the song. You are not understanding "writing" styles!

Let me add, New Orleans is no more sinful than any other town in the world. New Orleans is a city--- a city doesn't sin, it's the PEOPLE that sin. There are some wonderful saints, like myself, in and from the city of New Orleans. There are PEOPLE in the city that are sinning---But ALL OF US are not sinful. Just as wherever you live, there are people who are sinning.

BTW, What grade are you in?

Offline vtguy84

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
    • Get Covered 4 Life

It's a metaphor! Even the Bible uses metaphors. A metaphor is basically a figure of speech. The lyrics of the song is used figuratively. I think you are being too deep with the song. You are not understanding "writing" styles!

Let me add, New Orleans is no more sinful than any other town in the world. New Orleans is a city--- a city doesn't sin, it's the PEOPLE that sin. There are some wonderful saints, like myself, in and from the city of New Orleans. There are PEOPLE in the city that are sinning---But ALL OF US are not sinful. Just as wherever you live, there are people who are sinning.

BTW, What grade are you in?

The offices of VTGuy84 and associates approve this message. ;)
www.GetCovered4Life.com (Mortgage Protection, Final Expense, Tax Free Retirement)

Offline dingster1

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
    • DINGTHING

Wasn't the CD with this song out WAAAAAYYY before Katrina???

Offline raba

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
    • http://www.africanamericanimprovementassociation.com

Greetings in the benevolent name of our Lord and Savior Jesus the Christ, after reviewing some of the responses, I am compelled to share a thought of wisdom.  Truth as you know it is not always truth!  Kids beleive there is a santa clause to this very day because of a lie that was implanted as a seed in their conscience, further some believed in the boogie man and other susperstitious idioms or beliefs.

The Word of God is Truth, that is fixed, the Word of God as we believe it may be truth as we know it but not truth according to the Word of God.  This is why Sunday School and Bible class is very important to the Development of your Spiritual Life.

The phrase "open the floodgates to heaven" can be allegorical or metaphorical, and just because it is not specifically phrase that way in the Bible, does not render this phrase illegitament.  If I choose to use this metaphoric vernacular, it is my expression or my request to my Father to do something that's already promised in His Word!

If what's behind the gate is what I want, and it's is not denied to me in His Word, then aske according to His Word I beleive His Word said, "ask the Father what you desirel, in His name, that your joy may be full."  So my request to "open the floodgates of heaven" means Lord I have been obedient to your Word, and you told me to prove you now herewtih, so I request that the "floodgates of heaven be opened" because I act according to your Word and now I'm asking according to your word, and by Faith in your Word I shall receive it, because I'm entitled to it because of your word.  Maybe before I wasn't entitled because I didn't act according to your word and as a result I could not recieve the promises, that you promise because I failed to do what was required to get the benefit or promise that I desired.

So I must agree with Sister T, don't take a dogmatic approach to the word, it's your way or the highway, rather it's God way and that's all to it.  The Bible wasn't written in English, nor did anyone at that time speak English, it would be foolish of us to hold the English version in strict compliance since it is a traslation of the Vulgate, which is a translation.  Use your word study and do some research of the Hebrew language and the Greek and then act according to 2 Timothy 2:15:)

Have a Blessed Day,

Robert S. Ellington-Snipes
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up