LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: "Show-off" drummers/musicians.  (Read 1964 times)

Offline BigFoot_BigThumb

• LGM Member
  • The Waves SSL 4000 plug-ins. The greatest EVER!!!

"Show-off" drummers/musicians.
« on: November 14, 2006, 02:38:05 PM »
I'm sort of piggy backing off of an earlier post that was talking about young musicians of today.  I'm seeing this myself more and more.  I'm a technical player.  First of all, as someone who has been a musical director, I expect everything to be tight, and the band should sound like one unit.  More and more I see drummers feeling the need to show you how fast they can do what I call "thunder rolls."  They have to show you how good they are.  I actually get mad at these types of cats.  When I play. I let the music move me.  I may do an accent, on a word, or a musical phrase with another instrument.  I really try to incorporate the whole band on accents that I do.  Sometimes, I'm just so into the music that it just comes out of me unconciously.  I've heard cats trying to do stuff during the prayer, or other times when it just doesn't fit.  I mean you have keyboardists, bassists, etc who do the exact same thing.  They gotta show-off.  I'm a groove based drummer.  Now there is a time in the music where the super fast, syncopated rolls can work.   I mean, I have been overlooked for some things because I didn't give people the show.  But that's not someone I really want to work with anyway.  I have been told by some that I have to do that in order to compete.  I know it has it's place, but is it really necessary in order to be a true musician? 

In fact, if you own either of these two recordings, you can hear how I play. 

Shannon Sanders- "Outta Nowhere"

Track #12- "Long As I Live"

Tommy Sims- "Peace and Love"

Track #2- "100"
Track #3- "New Jam"

I was just allowed to groove with the music.  They didn't ask me to do anything more than that.
When you've done your very best, do even better.

Offline Da1witdastix

• LGM Member

Re: "Show-off" drummers/musicians.
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2006, 04:02:17 PM »
where can i pick up those cds or can u post a clip or two
I don\'t need a month I make history er\'yday

Offline BigFoot_BigThumb

• LGM Member

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2006, 04:43:01 PM »
Tommy Sims can be ordered pretty much from any store or on Ebay.  It really didn't get marketed well because no one knew how to catagorize his music.  You can usually find Shannon's CD on Amazon, or maybe even Ebay.  Is there a way for me to upload the tracks on here?

Offline Furious Styles

• LGM Member

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2006, 10:04:37 AM »
I appreciate this post because most of the drummer community now only appreciate the showboat part of our precious gift. Playing a funky groove is more important than big licks to me. I love a drummers commitment to the band first than for them to wow me with chops. Having played in a jazz band taught me that. Most gospel drummers need that benefit or they need a MOM who is super tight with how they arrange their music. You can go much further if you get in the right circles. Consider the country drummers. Those cats make a million dollars and cat chop liver if you asked them. All it takes is to get with the right cats and people appreciate the total package of the product and bang... Be encouraged. I'm feeling you on this one.
Ignorance is Bliss

Offline BigFoot_BigThumb

• LGM Member

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2006, 04:51:42 PM »
I appreciate you as well.  I'm surprised yet I'm not that not many have replied to this post.  Are some offended?  I hope not.  I'm not putting them down, I'm just asking them why it's seems to be the biggest part of their playing?  If you go on you tube, you've got thousands upon thousands of clips showing this.  Some are doing great stuff, then others kinda make it sound like plain ole' noise.  JMO.

C'mon my fellow drummers, SPEAK UP!!!!!!

Offline Ibilddrums

• LGM Member

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2006, 05:17:30 PM »
I appreciate you as well.  I'm surprised yet I'm not that not many have replied to this post.  Are some offended?  I hope not.  I'm not putting them down, I'm just asking them why it's seems to be the biggest part of their playing?  If you go on you tube, you've got thousands upon thousands of clips showing this.  Some are doing great stuff, then others kinda make it sound like plain ole' noise.  JMO.

Hello...
I don't think that you offended anyone... but this is a topic that's recently been covered...and has been posted time and time again over the lifetime of
LGM...that's all

Offline BigFoot_BigThumb

• LGM Member

« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2006, 05:19:04 PM »
So what were the responses?  I'm new here so i missed all of that.  School me.

Offline Cherri

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Imperial Majesty! $200,000...

« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2006, 05:21:36 PM »
So what were the responses?  I'm new here so i missed all of that.  School me.

You can find those topics within through the search tab... One...
What can I $ay Juanita Bynum is my cicerone.

Offline LittleDrummerBoyy

• LGM Member

« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2006, 07:59:58 AM »
 I feel you man but you said the key word young drummers.groove pocket is where its at to be

honest a couple of endoresed and big time drummers got fired off tours and gigs for being to licky on

the set i no about four of theme myself when you playing with a band you have to play as a band its

not the time you showoff, you only do that when you get your own DVD.

1 luv drummer

Offline bigblackdrummer

• LGM Member
  • Curtis Cyril Bernard
    • http://www.myspace.com/phatcurtisbernard

« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2006, 02:26:07 PM »
Dude whats your name? Yu are right about what youre saying, disciplin comes with age, they change when they start seeinh themselves not getting the big money gigs and wondering why no ones calling them.
Mapex Drums, Grant Custom Basses, Carparelli Basses, Istanbul Cymbals,!

Offline BigFoot_BigThumb

• LGM Member

« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2006, 04:26:18 PM »
Are you asking me or Lil' Drummer boy Big Black?

Offline bigblackdrummer

• LGM Member
  • Curtis Cyril Bernard

« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2006, 05:01:22 PM »
Are you asking me or Lil' Drummer boy Big Black?

You.

Offline BigFoot_BigThumb

• LGM Member

« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2006, 05:10:15 PM »
My name is Melvin Brown, Jr.  And you are?

I hope the cops aren't on here......... :o

Offline bigblackdrummer

• LGM Member
  • Curtis Cyril Bernard

« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2006, 03:57:43 AM »
My name is Melvin Brown, Jr.  And you are?

I hope the cops aren't on here......... :o

Curtis Bernard www.myspace.com/phatcurtisbernard

Offline pdpguy

• LGM Member

« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2006, 03:00:24 PM »
If you go on you tube, you've got thousands upon thousands of clips showing this.  Some are doing great stuff, then others kinda make it sound like plain ole' noise.  JMO.

ok. i'll speask up. how many of them vidoes on youtube are actually PROFESSIONAL recordings or real gigs. most of the clips that have guys choopping away are just shed sessions, practice sessions, or somebody just messin' around. i haven't seen too many actual shows on youtube where somebody was just likcking all over the music.

now, on the other hand, i just watched that kenny garrett/ ron bruner; jr. clip. . . the boy was movin'. AND I LIKED IT!!!!!!!! if he had just been keep ONLY the groove, i probably would have turned it off. and i'm not young. i just like when a drummer actually does put what he knows into the music.

Offline BigFoot_BigThumb

• LGM Member

« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2006, 06:08:51 PM »
Curtis Bernard www.myspace.com/phatcurtisbernard

www.myspace.com/workingmanproductions

Still working on getting those extra-fly myspace pages like you guys with all of the lasers and explosions.

Offline waydrummer

• LGM Member

« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2006, 08:02:10 PM »
ok. i'll speask up. how many of them vidoes on youtube are actually PROFESSIONAL recordings or real gigs. most of the clips that have guys choopping away are just shed sessions, practice sessions, or somebody just messin' around. i haven't seen too many actual shows on youtube where somebody was just likcking all over the music.

now, on the other hand, i just watched that kenny garrett/ ron bruner; jr. clip. . . the boy was movin'. AND I LIKED IT!!!!!!!! if he had just been keep ONLY the groove, i probably would have turned it off. and i'm not young. i just like when a drummer actually does put what he knows into the music.

well said.  plus anyway people dont wanna hear or see pocket playing on internet clips.  Its boring.  save the pocket for sunday morning or in the studio or on a gig.  when people post clips of chops (on the internet) its because they are trying to wow people, not get gigs.  its just for fun. 

Offline Da_Drumma

• LGM Member
    • Da' Drumma on Myspace

« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2006, 12:16:57 AM »
I fell you Dway! It's not like its an audition or anything. Drumming is a fun thing to do, and sometimes people just want to sit down and have fun! Im pretty sure alot of people know when discipline kicks in, when its time to be serious!

Offline Da_Drumma

• LGM Member
    • Da' Drumma on Myspace

« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2006, 12:19:08 AM »
Im sorry feel, not fell, FEEl!!!  I know how to spell!!!
Pages: [1]   Go Up