LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: WORSHIP/WARFARE  (Read 4658 times)

Offline michaeln

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

WORSHIP/WARFARE
« on: December 06, 2006, 12:17:45 PM »
Not sure if this has been posted if so please direct me there.  I was wonder if you guys could team up again and give a lesson/understanding of playing worship and warfare during service or just plain practice.  I sat down with the lesson and the midi for the shout music and with time I'll be ready. Please include tempo and how to apply the fingering and getting that presence of spirit flowing.....

Offline bustas_rhyme

• LGM Member

Re: WORSHIP/WARFARE
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2006, 04:46:38 PM »
Well one simple trick for warfare chords is to use major chords based on the minor scale of that particular key. For example let's take the key of Ab.

The minor scale for Ab is Ab, Bb, B, C#, Eb, E, Gb, Ab. Based on this you would play Ab in the left hand (double up on the octave.) In the right hand you would play Ab Major, then Bb Major, B Major, C#Major, Eb Major, E Major, Gb Major, and then Ab Major. There's really no temp to it. It's go to use when the praise and worship is real high. You can use this theory in any key. Simply play major chords based on the minor scale of that particular key.

I hope this helps you out. I have plenty more if interested.

Offline sjonathan02

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My heart

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2006, 06:15:37 PM »
Well one simple trick for warfare chords is to use major chords based on the minor scale of that particular key. For example let's take the key of Ab.

The minor scale for Ab is Ab, Bb, B, C#, Eb, E, Gb, Ab. Based on this you would play Ab in the left hand (double up on the octave.) In the right hand you would play Ab Major, then Bb Major, B Major, C#Major, Eb Major, E Major, Gb Major, and then Ab Major. There's really no temp to it. It's go to use when the praise and worship is real high. You can use this theory in any key. Simply play major chords based on the minor scale of that particular key.

I hope this helps you out. I have plenty more if interested.

I'm interested, keep 'em coming.  ;D
Despite our communication technology, no invention is as effective as the sound of the human voice.

Offline michaeln

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2006, 10:24:09 PM »
Yes I'm interested please keep posting and anyone that wants to SHOW US HOW YOU PRAISE THE LORD ON THE KEYS.

Offline CESharp

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Good Mornting......Hellerrrrrrrr!!!!

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2006, 09:52:11 AM »
I'm very interested!!!!
Carla E.
Canaan Church (Urbana, Illinois)
U of I

Offline bustas_rhyme

• LGM Member

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2006, 10:18:39 AM »
I'm glad you all liked the chords. Here's a few more (We'll stay in Ab for now to stay consistent with the previous post)

Another real simple trick is to throw a diminished chord in to add flavor to a simple chord. For example, if you're on the organ, the most basic "worship" chord is E Ab Bb C#. Just play the chord with your right hand along with E and Bb in the left hand. Now for the diminished chord. In the left hand play F# A C in the right hand play F# A C Eb. The trick comes in holding either Ab or Eb on the bass pedal when playing the progression.

You can also play the first chord with a Bb bass followed by the next chord with a C in the bass followed by the first chord again with C# in the bass. Your last chord would be Eb/Eb C/Eb Ab C.

Another simple trick involves a very simple run to make it look like you're just killing. If you're in Ab, simply do the blues scale all the way down based on the relative minor of that key. If you are in Ab, the relative minor is F (to figure out relative minors simply count three half steps down from the key and play the minor chord.) So in Ab, you play F, Eb, C, B, Bb, Ab, F. Go all the way down the key board but try to make it clean. It's a very crisp run. It's arpeggiated so it's very quick. Start slow to get used to it and pick up speed. Guys like Jason Tyson (MD for Smokie Norful do it all the time). Listen to the organ playing on the intro to Umm Good to know what I'm talking about. I'll post more later today. What keys do you guys need?

Offline michaeln

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2006, 12:18:25 PM »
Key may not matter for me, but do you have the means of recording and posting a sound clip. Aslo is the any theory behind what to and when to play.... THAINKS AND BE BLESSED......

Offline bustas_rhyme

• LGM Member

« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2006, 01:55:19 PM »
I have plenty of clips of me playing but I don't know how to reduce the size of the files in order to post them. Any tips?

As far as the theory goes, I try to stay around the circle of fifths when playing worship/warfare chords. It makes it easy to change keys and also allows me to get back to my original key fairly easily.

Offline michaeln

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2006, 05:02:36 PM »
What is the file type and average size of the file?  www.youtube.com may be an option because I'm unsure of the TOP/LARGEST  file size that can be uploaded here.  Once I get your responce I may have more ideals then. 

Offline michaeln

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2006, 11:58:58 AM »
Hello,,,,,  :o the post is still open to all lets talk ;D

Offline T-Block

• LGM Member
  • I got my MBA!!!

« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2006, 02:40:10 PM »
I still don't understand what the heck warfare chords are.  If you want worship chords, then all u gotta do is play some progressions slowed down, but do it with feeling.
Real musicians play in every key!!!
Music Theory, da numbers work!

Offline sjonathan02

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My heart

« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2006, 03:50:02 PM »
I still don't understand what the heck warfare chords are.  If you want worship chords, then all u gotta do is play some progressions slowed down, but do it with feeling.

I think he was asking for certain kinds of worship chords, like the ones michaeln gave. Those don't come from regular progressions; at least from what I've seen, heard or played. But, I'm still a young cat in the game.  ;)
Despite our communication technology, no invention is as effective as the sound of the human voice.

Offline T-Block

• LGM Member
  • I got my MBA!!!

« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2006, 04:49:03 PM »
Well, this is a new term for me, so I'm still trying to understand what they are.  Who came up with these types of chords?

Offline michaeln

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2006, 10:40:14 PM »
Warfare chording is something that I heard from Jamal's site.  If I'm understanding it correctly its when the worship goes up a notch almost like fighting thru the spirit of song.  I'm new http://www.gospelkeyboard.com/Urban_Worship/Clips/Israel.wmv this is the closest that I can come to explaining this......

Offline minofmusic

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • The annointing makes the difference!
    • Hill Top Productions, Inc.

« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2006, 06:23:15 AM »
Here are some warfare chords i learned from Jamals Site

LH / RH

Eb / F#BbEb
C# / AbC#F
B   / BbC#F#

over and over

i usually play these chords when the pastor or minister is prohesying or praying for people real nice chords. 

i usually play it with a piano and maybe a warm pad or strings and it will give you a nice worship sound

i have a midi file of it too  :)

May The Work I've Done Speak for Me.

Offline T-Block

• LGM Member
  • I got my MBA!!!

« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2006, 09:20:33 AM »
Well, it seems like all u have to do is play those worship chords u already play with more feeling.  I think any chords would do just fine, just have that umph behind it.

Offline bustas_rhyme

• LGM Member

« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2006, 09:32:11 AM »
Well, it seems like all u have to do is play those worship chords u already play with more feeling.  I think any chords would do just fine, just have that umph behind it.

I couldn't agree more. All you have to do is add "feeling" to your playing. The simplest thing to do for worship and warfare chords is to take chords you play in various songs already. Phillip Feaster (the MD for New Direction) offered me the best advice. You have to hear it in your mind before you can play it. Experiment with various chords and progressions from various songs.

P.S. As far as warfare chords go....I'm not really sure what is meant by warfare chords. Maybe you mean with the worship chords take a different turn and become stronger and more driving? If so, you can solve that problem by playing minor 7ths a lot of times.

Offline T-Block

• LGM Member
  • I got my MBA!!!

« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2006, 09:54:10 AM »
How about these chords:

"He Is Here" by: Bishop Paul S. Morton (Bow Down CD track #12)
Key eb/Gb  LH/RH

Vamp:

[1] Eb / Eb
[2] Db / F
[3] Cb / Gb
[4] Bb / Ab Hal-
[1, 2, 3, 4] Ab / Gb-Cb-Eb le-
[1, 2, 3, 4] Bb / Ab-Db-F lu-
[1, 2, 3, 4] Cb / Bb-Eb-Gb ja-
[1, 2, 3, 4] Eb / Ab-Db-F ah, hal-
[1, 2, 3, 4] Ab / Gb-Cb-Eb le-
[1, 2, 3, 4] Bb / Ab-Db-F lu-
[1, 2, 3, 4] Eb / Bb-Eb-G jah. *bounce chord
(repeat)

These should be some very familiar chords, but the key is to play them with a whole lot of feeling.  Even the "Praise Is What I Do" Vamp chords will work here:

"Praise Is What I Do" by: Shekinah Glory
Key eb/Gb  LH/RH

Vamp:

[1] Eb / Gb-Bb-Eb  Praise
[2] Db / Ab-D-F is
[3] Cb / Bb-Eb-Gb what
[4] Bb / Ab-Db-F I
[1, 2, 3, 4] Ab / Cb-Eb-Gb-Bb do-
[1, 2, 3, 4]
[1, 2, 3, 4] Db / Ab-Db-F-Ab oooo,
[1, 2] Bb / Bb-Db-F-Ab
[an, 3, 4] is what I do.

Ending 1:

[1, 2, 3, 4] Eb / Eb-Ab-Bb-Eb  *bounce chord
[1, 2, 3, 4] Eb / Eb-Ab-Bb-Eb  *bounce chord
[1, 2, 3, 4] Eb / F-G-Bb-Eb *bounce chord
(back to beginning)

Ending 2:

[1, 2, 3, 4] G / F-Bb-Eb
[1, 2, 3, 4] F / Eb-Ab-Bb-Eb 
[1, 2, 3, 4] Eb / F-G-Bb-Eb
(back to beginning)

Ending 3 (found on William Murphy's All Day CD):

[1, 2, 3] G / F-Bb-Eb
[4] Ab / Gb-Cb-Eb
[1, 2]
[3, 4] Bb / Ab-Db-F 
[1, 2, 3, 4] Eb / Bb-Eb-G
(back to beginning)

Offline michaeln

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2006, 12:09:16 PM »
Forgive me if I've mislead you in my request but I believe its all going the direction now.  Thanks for the input and keep ideals and chords coming.  I'm new to this all but I'm teachable.  GOD BLESS!

Offline GeneralMusic

• LGM Member
    • My Church Website

« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2006, 12:58:42 PM »
Praise the Lord,

Warfare chords they seem to me like to used to Worship and to go to God in Prayer for the battle thats ahead.  TBlock has excellent examplesa: He is Here and Shekinah Glory because when I hear their music this is what I think of.  It makes me think of being right in front of God petitioning for my request, for his majesty, thinking him for not only for what he has done but for Who He IS!!!  Here is an example of what comes to me, I used the chords that were posted. With these chords I switched up the chords with the different basses and let the Spirit of the Lord guide me.  I hope it blesses someone.

Brother Mark Wilson

LH / RH

Eb / F#BbEb
C# / AbC#F
B   / BbC#F#
Here is the walkdown from Eb to B
Eb/ Db F Gb Bb
D/ C E F# Ab
Db/ B Eb E Ab
C/ Bb Eb E Ab

http://www.learngospelmusic.com/media/displayimage.php?album=random&cat=21017&pos=-2174
Living for Jesus, Glorifying God in all that I do and in all I do Glorify God.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up