LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 100 Years ago today (Dec 04, 1906)...  (Read 1508 times)

Offline Jedi3

• LGM Member
  • "Do or do not. There is no try."

100 Years ago today (Dec 04, 1906)...
« on: December 04, 2006, 12:43:22 PM »
...at Cornell University in Ithaca, New York, seven distinguished gentlemen founded the first intercollegiate Greek-letter fraternity established for African-Americans.  Today marks the Centennial of Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity, Incorporated, celebrating 100 years of distinguished leadership and service.  The Fraternity initially served as a study and support group for minority students who faced racial prejudice, both educationally and socially, at Cornell. The Jewel founders and early leaders of the Fraternity succeeded in laying a firm foundation for Alpha Phi Alpha's principles of scholarship, fellowship, good character, and the uplifting of humanity.  Alpha Phi Alpha chapters were developed at other colleges and universities, many of them historically Black institutions, soon after the founding at Cornell. While continuing to stress academic excellence among its members, Alpha also recognized the need to help correct the educational, economic, political, and social injustices faced by African-Americans.  Alpha Phi Alpha has long stood at the forefront of the African-American community's fight for civil rights through leaders such as: W.E.B. DuBois, Adam Clayton Powell, Jr., Edward Brooke, Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., Thurgood Marshall, Andrew Young, William Gray, Paul Robeson, and many others.  Today, Alpha Phi Alpha continues its commitment to the African American community through the Fraternity's Education and Building foundations which provide scholarships to outstanding students and shelter to underprivileged families. The Fraternity also has dedicated itself to training a new generation of leaders with national mentoring programs and partnerships designed to ensure the success of our children and youth.  The objectives of Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity, Inc. are to stimulate the ambition of its members; to prepare them for the greatest usefulness in the cause of humanity, freedom, and dignity of the individual; to encourage the highest and noblest form of manhood; and to aid downtrodden humanity in its efforts to achieve higher social, economic, and intellectual status.

I know this is not about drums, but 100 years in the service of humanity is something special.  A life given of service to others is indeed something we should all aspire to.  It's just as important today as it was 100 years ago that we strive to help uplift humanity and be of the greatest usefulness to the greatest number of people.  We are all richly blessed and it is our charge to be a blessing to others.  That's my $0.06 worth anyway.  Happy Founder's Day to the Brothers of A Phi A.

B

Offline juSe

• LGM Member
  • Call me juSe Wayne

Re: 100 Years ago today (Dec 04, 1906)...
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2006, 01:07:20 PM »
Go 'Head BRUH!!! 

The SabianKnight would be PROUD!!!

You Are Your Only Limitation!!

Offline SabianKnight

• LGM Member
  • Art by C1... Thanx Bruh!

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2006, 01:13:45 PM »
Whatchu know about dat?

11111-9.......

Nationals will in O-Town in August 07... holla

0000000000000ooooooooooH6Siiiixxxx !
Try not to become a person of success but rather a person of VALUE. - T. Harv Eker

Offline lildrummaboi

• LGM Member
    • http://

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2006, 05:35:11 PM »
11119................06!
You already know. I know all about that wonderful day. I am on my way to a celebration with the Bruhs here in Pittsburgh, PA.  Happy Birthday to all my Bruhs here on LGM. Always moving forward and always looking up. Stay blessed!

#3 Morpheus
Fall 2000
Pi MU Chapter-West Virginia University

Offline kazzd58

• LGM Member

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2006, 01:37:34 AM »
yeah man our church choir had 2 sing at the alpha's program they did here in jackson, and i had 2 play and i was hot cause the program started right when the cowboy's game was comming on >:(. i don't ask 4 much, i just want to c the game....i love what i do, but when it comes to dem dallas cowboys that's a big decision :-\

Offline bigblackdrummer

• LGM Member
  • Curtis Cyril Bernard
    • http://www.myspace.com/phatcurtisbernard

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2006, 03:06:24 AM »
...at Cornell University in Ithaca, New York, seven distinguished gentlemen founded the first intercollegiate Greek-letter fraternity established for African-Americans.  Today marks the Centennial of Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity, Incorporated, celebrating 100 years of distinguished leadership and service.  The Fraternity initially served as a study and support group for minority students who faced racial prejudice, both educationally and socially, at Cornell. The Jewel founders and early leaders of the Fraternity succeeded in laying a firm foundation for Alpha Phi Alpha's principles of scholarship, fellowship, good character, and the uplifting of humanity.  Alpha Phi Alpha chapters were developed at other colleges and universities, many of them historically Black institutions, soon after the founding at Cornell. While continuing to stress academic excellence among its members, Alpha also recognized the need to help correct the educational, economic, political, and social injustices faced by African-Americans.  Alpha Phi Alpha has long stood at the forefront of the African-American community's fight for civil rights through leaders such as: W.E.B. DuBois, Adam Clayton Powell, Jr., Edward Brooke, Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., Thurgood Marshall, Andrew Young, William Gray, Paul Robeson, and many others.  Today, Alpha Phi Alpha continues its commitment to the African American community through the Fraternity's Education and Building foundations which provide scholarships to outstanding students and shelter to underprivileged families. The Fraternity also has dedicated itself to training a new generation of leaders with national mentoring programs and partnerships designed to ensure the success of our children and youth.  The objectives of Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity, Inc. are to stimulate the ambition of its members; to prepare them for the greatest usefulness in the cause of humanity, freedom, and dignity of the individual; to encourage the highest and noblest form of manhood; and to aid downtrodden humanity in its efforts to achieve higher social, economic, and intellectual status.

I know this is not about drums, but 100 years in the service of humanity is something special.  A life given of service to others is indeed something we should all aspire to.  It's just as important today as it was 100 years ago that we strive to help uplift humanity and be of the greatest usefulness to the greatest number of people.  We are all richly blessed and it is our charge to be a blessing to others.  That's my $0.06 worth anyway.  Happy Founder's Day to the Brothers of A Phi A.

B

Sorry Im late for class sir! I was in the music room practising with the glee club.
Mapex Drums, Grant Custom Basses, Carparelli Basses, Istanbul Cymbals,!

Offline vtguy84

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
    • Get Covered 4 Life

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2006, 09:43:12 AM »
Our choir had to sing on campus for the service they had.  It started 45 minutes late....but the Food was good.  What made me chuckle is when the guy said 'Let's pray.  God, we thank you for Alpha Phi Alpha, Lord.  For if it wasn't for you Lord.....we don't know where we would be.'  I was like 'Huh¿' ?/?
www.GetCovered4Life.com (Mortgage Protection, Final Expense, Tax Free Retirement)

Offline Furious Styles

• LGM Member

« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2006, 09:54:30 PM »
Congratulations to the Alpha's for 100 hundred years of not being as smooth and distinguished as the nupes!!! Naw in all seriousness congrats. It's great to see a black org exist in excellence for 100 years. Thank God that those 10 men in Indiana founded the frat so nice they had to name it twice otherwise I would've been stuck with Alpha. The nupes will be one hundred in 4 more years. The seven jewels I guess they aight.. lol

furious
Ignorance is Bliss

Offline juSe

• LGM Member
  • Call me juSe Wayne

« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2006, 11:24:50 PM »
Congratulations to the Alpha's for 100 hundred years of not being as smooth and distinguished as the nupes!!! Naw in all seriousness congrats. It's great to see a black org exist in excellence for 100 years. Thank God that those 10 men in Indiana founded the frat so nice they had to name it twice otherwise I would've been stuck with Alpha. The nupes will be one hundred in 4 more years. The seven jewels I guess they aight.. lol

furious

Don't start no fight now doc!!  I brought you to this site...  I'll take you OUT!!  ;D

Offline Furious Styles

• LGM Member

« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2006, 08:40:01 PM »
Juse,

You right man. So when you gonna handle that 06 dream kid?
Ignorance is Bliss

Offline juSe

• LGM Member
  • Call me juSe Wayne

« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2006, 10:25:23 PM »
Juse,

You right man. So when you gonna handle that 06 dream kid?

I am learning that patience is a virtue, and anything worth having is worth the wait.  I'm looking to get back in school in the fall of '07.  In due time...  In due time.
Pages: [1]   Go Up