Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Scales  (Read 2906 times)

Offline MartyPar01

• LGM Member
  • The joy of the lord is my strength!
    • MartyPar01's Site

Scales
« on: April 04, 2006, 01:46:35 PM »
Would you consider these scales easy or hard, and which type would you prefer?
May you stay strong in the lord, may he keep you rooted in him! God Bless!

Offline stanthemusicman

• LGM Member

Re: Scales
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2006, 09:22:56 PM »
All Scales a easy it is only a matter of familiarity.  Most instruments that belong in a marching or concert band would probably consider any flat concert scale or key to be the easiest because marching and concert bands mostly play in flat concert keys. Such as Bb, Eb, Ab, Db, F. ;D
Let brotherly love continue.

Offline theunit

• LGM Member
  • morning glory

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2006, 03:55:05 PM »
i LIKE TO PLAY IN B MAJOR ALOT IT VERY BRIGHT SOUNDING TO ME AND ITS A VERY TOUGH TO SOLO IN . ITS NOT LIKE D MAJOR THAT LAYS RIGHT INTO HORN VERY NICELY....THE PROBLEM WITH MOST OF MY STUDENTS  AS IN MOST HORN PLAYER THE HANG AROURN THE SAME KEY ALL THE TIME....I WOULD SAY...PRACTICE IN AN ODD KEY ONE THATS HARD FOR YA ..AND JUST WATCH YOUR PLAYING.... NEXT TIME AT THE JAM SESSION  CALL A TUNE IN THE HARD TO PLAY KEY ...AND JUST WATCH..BUT MOST OF ALL LISTEN AND LEARN.....
THE UNIT

Offline drummer_boi23

• LGM Member

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2006, 12:20:20 PM »
i like b also
Strive to make it to the top practise makes perfect if you pray and practice God will lead

Offline baldeagle

• LGM Member

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2006, 03:31:12 PM »
I like Kbb ;D ;D
It's God's way. . . or Hell to pay

Offline Wolfram

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My dog Bear (125lbs of Luv)
    • Wolfram a/k/a Don Zlaty

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2006, 08:44:17 AM »
When I was a young man, I used to fall into the trap of wanting to always play in G, D, or C and F.  This, I found out later, was because I was lazy and it was EASIER to play in keys that took less effort not only in the fingers, but also brain work.

I dedicated myself to learning to play in all the "Singers" keys once I realized that I was being foolish.  A saxophone is a saxophone.  Music is music.  I find that Db (C#) is a really nice key to solo over now as well as B and F# (Gb) major.  I guess my least favorite key is Ab.  I practice playing over changes in that key all the time and I STILL do not like it.  I can play in that key, but I feel constrained.  I pray that the goo Lord will release me from that bondage one day and that key will be just as fluent as all the others.

Peace,

Wolfram

Offline Cherri

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Imperial Majesty! $200,000...

« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2006, 08:29:01 AM »
Blues and Jazz Scales... I can't help it...
What can I $ay Juanita Bynum is my cicerone.

Offline Ladymusic88

• LGM Member

« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2006, 02:59:42 AM »
I must admit, C,D, and F are my most comfortable keys on alto sax.  I'm trying to come out of my "comfort zone" though!

Ladymusic88

Offline Cherri

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2006, 09:05:23 PM »
A musician need to practice and know all scales, modes, etc...

Offline Wolfram

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My dog Bear (125lbs of Luv)
    • Wolfram a/k/a Don Zlaty

« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2006, 07:39:12 AM »
Unlike some other instruments, winds and brass instruments do not have any transpositional aids.  You MUST learn your scales.  I t is not about the scale itself, it is about getting muscle memory in these difficult keys.  Playing in Db... not an easy key, but gets easier if you do not have to think about your fingers all the time.

The modes, jazz scales, altered scales, etc.. just further your ability to voice the music in your heart.  You do not play scales in a solo, but you do need to understand how they tie together to form phrases and melodies and what scale fits what chord...

When you practice your scales, practice them full range.  If you only practice them one octave then you will only be able to comfortably play in one octave...

MODIFICATION:  You do not play scales all by themselves in a solo...  Scales, and arpeggios are often used in soloing.  I wanted to clear that statement up.  You should incorporate what you learn in your scale practce into a melodious theme that gives people joy when listened to...  :D

Offline ferrente

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • The Lord Can Do All Things!

« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2006, 05:00:40 PM »
Welcome to LGM  MartyPar01 

Trust in the Lord and do good so shalt thou dwell in the land and verily thou shalt be fed.

Offline BMA

• LGM Member

« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2006, 12:47:45 AM »

When you practice your scales, practice them full range.  If you only practice them one octave then you will only be able to comfortably play in one octave...

Or as my Teacher put it in College "Boy, you paid for those notes use them" LOL. Funny but a true statement

Offline Cherri

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2006, 10:44:35 AM »

Or as my Teacher put it in College "Boy, you paid for those notes use them" LOL. Funny but a true statement

I agree with all that...
Pages: [1]   Go Up