LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: I resigned......  (Read 4635 times)

Offline acts2-38

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Bad!! Just like I was

I resigned......
« on: December 09, 2006, 09:50:26 PM »
I got tired of all the drama and complaints about the way I handled things, especially complaints by people who dont know anything about music and cant even sing on key. So, in a meeting tonight, I resigned..

But I honestly did everything that I thought was best for the choir. As a matter of fact, the choir is why I decided to learn the keyboard. But It's all good though...

I think the problem was that nobody else is as passionate about music and wanting to sound good as I am. Too many people in the choir are ok with just getting up and sounding like anything. Singing loud is not singing good.

I dont know, maybe the lord will send in somebody who is experienced with working with a beginning choir and get them on track.
I did say that I would keep playing but I dont want any part of teaching any songs.

Anybody else been through a similar situation? if so, how did you handle it?
Give a man chords to a song, you help him for a day. Teach him theory and you help forever!!!

Offline sjonathan02

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My heart

Re: I resigned......
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2006, 09:55:52 PM »
I got tired of all the drama and complaints about the way I handled things, especially complaints by people who dont know anything about music and cant even sing on key. So, in a meeting tonight, I resigned..

But I honestly did everything that I thought was best for the choir. As a matter of fact, the choir is why I decided to learn the keyboard. But It's all good though...

I think the problem was that nobody else is as passionate about music and wanting to sound good as I am. Too many people in the choir are ok with just getting up and sounding like anything. Singing loud is not singing good.

I dont know, maybe the lord will send in somebody who is experienced with working with a beginning choir and get them on track.
I did say that I would keep playing but I dont want any part of teaching any songs.

Anybody else been through a similar situation? if so, how did you handle it?

I feel your pain. I wasn't going to settle week in and week out but the folks, who were there for years, weren't trying to hear it. So, I resigned; then I left the church...not just because of the music department, though.

Be Blessed, bruh!
Despite our communication technology, no invention is as effective as the sound of the human voice.

Offline Mysteryman

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • The Jamaican breakfast patty created by me. :)
    • http://www.geocities.com/mysterymman1

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2006, 06:06:55 PM »
I know what your going through. I stuck it out then I got tired of it so I started playing at another church temporarily to grow some. I didnt fully get where I wanted but I learned alot. I was actually enjoying the music department there. Only little things I didnt like. I did this from May til October of this year. I was still playing at some night services at my church. I felt more content at that church but my church seemed to be dying more and more. Sometimes things have to die so they can grow. Many inconsistancies in the music department was exposed.

I know my church needed me spiritually. So Im back to playing at my church now. Im just trying to sacrifice now. Im putting some of what I learned into place at church. Things are still not were they should be but change is happening. I figured I will just suffer it out for now but now I speak my mind instead of holding things in. Im trying to give all the directors another chance. I know I make a difference in the service. Now people really see it.

I believe God will work things out in time but right now Im just going to keep pressing the music leaders. Im pushing things like new songs, set rehearsal days, wasting time, musicians. If they cant do this then I will continue to play for week night services and maybe sing on the choir instead of playing.

I believe now that sometimes a church can get to a place where you have to demand change. You cant always be a nice guy. If someone doesnt want to learn dont waste their time and dont let them  waste your time. Im not saying give up but overcome. If you cant overcome then you have to pray to see if that's where God wants you for the moment.

Its all a process if you can figure out how to overcome. For me I see its in expanding myself musically.  People cant deny you when God is working through you. I believe it took me getting out to change things. I feel like Im more qualified to do what I do. I was trying to explain what God was showing me to people. Now Im not worried about that, I will just let my works speak for me.
Vision without action is just day dreaming. I miss practicing.

Offline s580rc

• LGM Member

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2006, 07:13:37 PM »
First of all let me reply to your plight by saying that all 'Ministers' have much of the same situations from time to time. But with that being said, I think one has to ask oneself this; am I 'Minister Of Music' or simply just another musician playing for some church? There is a big difference. Ministers are called by God (well supposed to be at least...), and if believe that you were called by God to minister in music, then you should be just that--- a Minister anionted by the Holy Spirit. That means wisdom, patience, long suffering with the flock that God has put in your hands, where ever, who ever and however they may be. Just as our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ was longsuffering with his disciples (they in many instances did not understand what Jesus was teaching them), and many times he had to correct them and even rebuke them, he never 'resigned' on them even to the cross. And to this day He doesn't 'resign' on us through all of our shortcommings. As a Minister the saving of souls and deliverance is of uttmost importance, to a musician simply 'sounding good' is all that is important. Now, as a Minister of Music, yes sounding good (giving God our best) is very important, but not to point of forgetting what we are really there for. So, you may consider seeking God to get  the wisdom to lead that others may follow your instruction, but remember that takes an anionting from God if you are truely chosen to Minister. All musicians are not Ministers.

I don't know the size of your church, but basically what I have done ( as alot MOM have done), I choose the best and more dedicated vocalists and form a praise unit apart from the general 'choir' and then work with the rest according to their ability. This means that selections that the general 'choir' can handle and sound somewhat decent on, well they do those songs, but the praise team does the more demanding and challengiing songs. It works out well for us, with the praise team, the better vocalists and musicians don't get bored, and the least talented members of the general 'choir' are not pushed beyond their capablity which can foster resentment.

Please, don't get me wrong, I am not suggesting that you stay anywhere you are not confortable, but I am saying let your reasons be spiritual, not merely musical. Unless of course you are just a musician and not a chosen Minister, in that case it doesn't really matter. Grow in Christ and trust me, you will grow as an artist. God has called us all to excellance, but only after we seek him first (not the music first) and all things will be added. I know because it has happened in my life and Ministry.

So hang in there my brother, and may God guide your way.

Offline ferrente

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • The Lord Can Do All Things!

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2006, 10:48:11 PM »
I have felt the pain also, but the Lord Bless me to make it and I didn't have to resign. It took much, much prayer and an understanding Pastor.

Stay encouraged and stay prayerful!

God Bless!
Trust in the Lord and do good so shalt thou dwell in the land and verily thou shalt be fed.

Offline ferrente

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • The Lord Can Do All Things!

« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2006, 10:49:04 PM »
Welcome To LGM,  s580rc
Trust in the Lord and do good so shalt thou dwell in the land and verily thou shalt be fed.

Offline 4hisglory

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
    • Learn Gospel Musiic

« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2006, 08:02:20 PM »
This a big problem in church ministry.......its really a shame...
:)

Offline B3Wannabe

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2006, 06:47:13 AM »
I understand your pain EXACTLY!

Here, I work with people of a different culture, and like your choir, they're beginners. My musicians are the same, so sometimes it takes us a good while (1-2 months) to learn songs that I'm used to learning in 10-20 minutes. It'd be different if I had an experienced director too, but since I'm a beginner at directing and playing at the same time, it gets interesting sometimes. Our choir started with about 12-18 people, but now we're down to about 5 regulars. I don't mind this though, because a lot of the people, like what you were saying were the ones that were holding the choir back. Here, I'm basically rebuilding the whole music department. A lot of what we do is geared towards one culture, so it sometimes alienates other cultures or people, if they're not flexible to different styles of worship or praise. But like Mysteryman said, I try to stay in the will of God and do what he tells me to do. I took the position because God said that's what I should do, so with that in mind, I try to stay the course that God has given me, knowing that there WILL be growth later...no matter what people say now.

Offline bishopcole

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • YES INDEED!!! AND THATS A RAP!!!

« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2006, 07:42:13 AM »
First of all let me reply to your plight by saying that all 'Ministers' have much of the same situations from time to time. But with that being said, I think one has to ask oneself this; am I 'Minister Of Music' or simply just another musician playing for some church? There is a big difference. Ministers are called by God (well supposed to be at least...), and if believe that you were called by God to minister in music, then you should be just that--- a Minister anionted by the Holy Spirit. That means wisdom, patience, long suffering with the flock that God has put in your hands, where ever, who ever and however they may be. Just as our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ was longsuffering with his disciples (they in many instances did not understand what Jesus was teaching them), and many times he had to correct them and even rebuke them, he never 'resigned' on them even to the cross. And to this day He doesn't 'resign' on us through all of our shortcommings. As a Minister the saving of souls and deliverance is of uttmost importance, to a musician simply 'sounding good' is all that is important. Now, as a Minister of Music, yes sounding good (giving God our best) is very important, but not to point of forgetting what we are really there for. So, you may consider seeking God to get  the wisdom to lead that others may follow your instruction, but remember that takes an anionting from God if you are truely chosen to Minister. All musicians are not Ministers.

I don't know the size of your church, but basically what I have done ( as alot MOM have done), I choose the best and more dedicated vocalists and form a praise unit apart from the general 'choir' and then work with the rest according to their ability. This means that selections that the general 'choir' can handle and sound somewhat decent on, well they do those songs, but the praise team does the more demanding and challengiing songs. It works out well for us, with the praise team, the better vocalists and musicians don't get bored, and the least talented members of the general 'choir' are not pushed beyond their capablity which can foster resentment.

Please, don't get me wrong, I am not suggesting that you stay anywhere you are not confortable, but I am saying let your reasons be spiritual, not merely musical. Unless of course you are just a musician and not a chosen Minister, in that case it doesn't really matter. Grow in Christ and trust me, you will grow as an artist. God has called us all to excellance, but only after we seek him first (not the music first) and all things will be added. I know because it has happened in my life and Ministry.

Welcome to LGM!!   Bishop Cole
"Stay in God Always"  - Bishop Lamar Cole
"It's not about the Music, it's about the Ministry"

Offline mr.dj

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Coko and Mae

« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2006, 09:05:15 AM »
I understand totally what you are feeling, like Sjon I first resigned from the choir and eventually left the church.
"Even when you're justified, be dignified."  Cornel West

Offline childofgod4u

• LGM Member
  • Will Ur h3@Rt N sOuL s@Y yEs!!!!

« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2006, 08:25:27 AM »
I truly understand how u feel and what u goin through...I come from a church who is very disciplined when it comes to themusic ministry from the babies all the way to adults.And then comin to a new state and dealing with people who don't give a care about how they sing or have any discipline was a major problem for me,but youknow what with alot of prayer and support from family and the Pastor I decided to stick it out and deal with the struggle.I'm still dealing with it but with much prayer we are getting much better

I understand how u feel...nusic is your passion and ur lifr and when u have others that wanna destroy what you love so much.U did the right thing there will be somethin bigger and better tthings comin your just trust and believe that God will do it for you in your favor.....God Bless
*Princess of Praize*

Offline dfwkeys

• LGM Member

« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2006, 08:59:22 AM »
I'm glad there is a post on this, i'm in a similar situation and has been playing for this church for 14 years, i'm only 26.  I'm ready to move on because of not feeling appreciated and my suggestions about anything are just going through one ear and out the other.  I believe that i cannot grow spiritually and mentally in my playing.  The only problem is that, it's my parents church, and i've been faithful with them since they started the chruch, which was 14 years ago.  I don't want to abondon them and leave them w/o music but at the same time, i need to go somewhere to grow.  I've done all the praying and even prayed for a replacement for years.  At this point, i'm not at peace and is really confused, so knowint that God is not th author of confusion, it's time for me to step out... Life is about taking risks and steps of faith, you will never know where you will end up until you step out your comfort zone.

Offline sjonathan02

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My heart

« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2006, 10:08:27 AM »
I'm glad there is a post on this, i'm in a similar situation and has been playing for this church for 14 years, i'm only 26.  I'm ready to move on because of not feeling appreciated and my suggestions about anything are just going through one ear and out the other.  I believe that i cannot grow spiritually and mentally in my playing.  The only problem is that, it's my parents church, and i've been faithful with them since they started the chruch, which was 14 years ago.  I don't want to abondon them and leave them w/o music but at the same time, i need to go somewhere to grow.  I've done all the praying and even prayed for a replacement for years.  At this point, i'm not at peace and is really confused, so knowint that God is not th author of confusion, it's time for me to step out... Life is about taking risks and steps of faith, you will never know where you will end up until you step out your comfort zone.

It sounds like you've made up your mind already. Besides, if you don't move (if that's what God is telling you) how can He do a work at your parents' church.

Feel me?  ;)
Despite our communication technology, no invention is as effective as the sound of the human voice.

Offline ABMJ

• LGM Member
  • A. McNair Jr.
    • AMJministries

« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2006, 12:08:45 PM »

AMEN!  Make you talk to God before every decision like that because it may have been a test that God was giving you and if you just gave up and resigned then you failed that test.  UNLESS God told you to leave.   Hang in there.  At least your not a PASTOR!
IT's ALL ABOUT MINISTRY!

Offline Mysteryman

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • The Jamaican breakfast patty created by me. :)
    • http://www.geocities.com/mysterymman1

« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2006, 02:01:18 PM »

I have found sometimes you have to force change. I stopped playing for the choir at my church and played at another church temporarily for about 6 months. I was still playing at night services at my church. Then I stopped playing at the other church. People were almost begging me to play and yet they didnt go without a musician since I was gone. It seems like everyone is ready to change things now.

Now that Im back I tell them up front what I expect to avoid conflict later. Im looking out for myself so I dont get off track from raching my goals. So I told everyone that asked me to do something to set up a schedule. If you cant do that then Im not going to play for you. I also stated when we start getting repetious Im going to stop playing. That way when I choose to do something else no one can argue with me.

You are going to have to make a stand. If they dont want to move you got to do what you got to do. I also say make sure every option is exhausted.
Vision without action is just day dreaming. I miss practicing.

Offline jfjarrett

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
    • Facebook

« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2007, 10:51:07 AM »
     Why do we always label the MOM or MUSICIANS who are doing the will of God to promote excellence in the kingdom, thru music ministry, as the "quitter", the "let God downer", "the one whose heart isn't in the right placer", or "the one that needs to reevaluate themselvers" when the church BODY or PASTOR sometimes  are the REAL , quitters, let God downers, and the ones that hearts are not in the right placers. YES, all of the above can be said about SOME MOM's or MUSICIANS ,and yet the same can be said about MEMBERS of the church body and PASTORS as well. 

The Bible says let your yea be yea and your nay be nay.  I personally am tired of feeling that my gift of musicianship is the only thing that matters. I am also called to the ministry and feel that I only want to do the will of God,and that music is ONE of the many gifts he has blessed me with. I feel sometimes my musically gift is all that people want, never mind me preaching, never mind me teaching, never mind me being blessed with the gift to work in administration, never mind by thoughs, ideas or suggestions. What do you do? Oh and for those who understand what I am saying, "IT IS NOT ALWAYS YOU!!!!!!!!" As a Senior Pastor used to say when preaching, " I KNOW I AM RIGHT ABOUT IT"!!

So in closing I believe alot of us really get dumped on about wanting to leave a place because deep down in our souls we want the fullness that God has shown "US', not always the vision that "SOMEONE ELSE" tries to place on us. And NO it is not a problem with lining up with AUTHORITY as I have been told, but rather it is a problem with lining up with the DESTINY God has shown us thru our prayers, our consecration, our dedication and our faithfulness to God.
They try to put me in a box...IMPOSSIBLE!

Offline sjonathan02

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My heart

« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2007, 10:57:51 AM »
Why do we always label the MOM or MUSICIANS who are doing the will of God to promote excellence in the kingdom, thru music ministry, as the "quitter", the "let God downer", "the one whose heart isn't in the right placer", or "the one that needs to reevaluate themselvers" when the church BODY or PASTOR sometimes  are the REAL , quitters, let God downers, and the ones that hearts are not in the right placers. YES, all of the above can be said about SOME MOM's or MUSICIANS ,and yet the same can be said about MEMBERS of the church body and PASTORS as well.   The Bible says let your yea be yea and your nay be nay.  I personally am tired of feeling that my gift of musicianship is the only thing that matters. I am also called to the ministry and feel that I only want to do the will of God,and that music is ONE of the many gifts he has blessed me with. I feel sometimes my musically gift is all that people want, never mind me preaching, never mind me teaching, never mind me being blessed with the gift to work in administration, never mind by thoughs, ideas or suggestions. What do you do? Oh and for those who understand what I am saying, "IT IS NOT ALWAYS YOU!!!!!!!!" As a Senior Pastor used to say when preaching, " I KNOW I AM RIGHT ABOUT IT"!!
So in closing I believe alot of us really get dumped on about wanting to leave a place because deep down in our souls we want the fullness that God has shown "US', not always the vision that "SOMEONE ELSE" tries to place on us. And NO it is not a problem with lining up with AUTHORITY as I have been told, but rather it is a problem with lining up with the DESTINY God has shown us thru our prayers, our consecration, our dedication and our faithfulness to God.

*poof, The Grammar Wizard enters*

We here at LGM, are in love with paragraphs!!!

*poof, The Grammar Wizard exits*

Offline jfjarrett

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
    • Facebook

« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2007, 02:24:57 PM »
I feel you. But REALLY?
I was in a hurry, next time I will comply.
For real..... Help me out. :'(
They try to put me in a box...IMPOSSIBLE!

Offline sjonathan02

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My heart

« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2007, 03:45:26 PM »
I feel you. But REALLY?
I was in a hurry, next time I will comply.
For real..... Help me out. :'(

Ok.

You have five stars, which tells me that you're a premium member. With that said, you have the ability to change your posts whenever you want. Just find the modify button on the upper right of your post (s) and you're good to go.  ;)

Lata, and welcome to the family.  :D

Offline nessalynn77

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
    • Inspirational Contemplation

« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2007, 03:53:03 PM »
Ok.

You have five stars, which tells me that you're a premium member. With that said, you have the ability to change your posts whenever you want. Just find the modify button on the upper right of your post (s) and you're good to go.  ;)

Lata, and welcome to the family.  :D
  LOL!!! Welcome, jfjarrett!
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up