LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Opposition: Just can't get on the Organ.  (Read 2923 times)

Rjthakid

Opposition: Just can't get on the Organ.
« on: May 17, 2007, 01:05:15 PM »
Here's the deal.

I've been playing the drums for about five years now.

I first started learning how to play the Organ about 3 years ago.  When our MOM saw me on the Organ, he approached me and told me:

"I don't want to discourage you, but I don't think you should get on the Organ.  If people see you on the Organ they'll think they can just walk up and sit on it too.  You need to get a little Casio and practice at home."

I quit....but not for long.

Last year I started practicing again, and even purchased a Hammond L100 so I could practice at home.  I've grown by leaps and bounds, and our MOM STILL has a problem with me playing.

The MOM is the Bass player, I'm the drummer, and our keyboard player is a paid musician (he's not a member of our church).

3 weeks ago my sister sang a solo and I played behind her.  As SOON as she was done our MOM pointed towards the drums.  (In other words "get back over there")

>:(

The keyboard player is a Methodist and knows NOTHING about preaching chords, yet the MOM continued to allow him to get on the Organ to back up my Bishop.

2 weeks ago the keyboardist FELL ASLEEP on the Organ.  I pointed this out and the MOM woke him up and they shared a laugh. 

>:(

This past sunday my Bishop asked me to get on the Organ to back him up.   ;D  I was ECSTATIC!  He also had a meeting with me and the MOM after service and stated that he wants ME to back him up every Sunday (apparently I did better than the keyboard player).

Yesterday my Bishop tells me that the MOM came to him upset on Tuesday and told my Bishop that he DISRESPECTED him by asking me to get on the Organ. 

HUH?!?!  He's the BISHOP and he disrespected the MOM by asking me to get on the Organ?!?!?! 

::)

Everytime that brotha sees me on the instrument it's a problem.  He's 40+ and has NEVER, not ONCE encouraged me or motivated me to do better.  I've begged for a musician's rehearsal so that I can get accustomed to playing with them, but I've been denied.  We haven't had one in months.  We have two drummers in the congregation, and NO organist, yet I can't get on the instrument to save my life.   >:(

Has anybody else ever faced a situation where you feel like you're being opposed in playing for your church?

Help.
   :(

Offline NewLevel

• LGM Member

Re: Opposition: Just can't get on the Organ.
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2007, 04:17:31 PM »
Man, I know how you feel. I'm going thru a similar situation right now at my own church. I know without a shadow of a doubt it's the devil trying to steal what God has given us. It really bothers me the attitudes of musicians these days...people lying on you, always saying things to discourage you and not even having a nice thing to say to anyone. We are truly living in the last days! But man, I'm praying for you 'cause I know how you feel. Pray for me as well...
"When your down to nothin'... God is up to somethin'..."

oldskoolgospel

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2007, 06:32:42 PM »
I'm reminded of a verse that says--I'm paraphrasing--you will be exalted in due time.  And when I was reading your post getting down to the end, I was like, "Praise God!"

Listen, there will be people in your life that discourage you, but you can't let them get in the way of your inheritance.  If God said He'll do it, then sho nough He'll do it. ;)

Offline nessalynn77

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
    • Inspirational Contemplation

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2007, 04:29:49 PM »
So is your Bishop taking it back?  I hope not.  As long as the Bishop is happy with you backing him up, don't feel bad or make any apologies, the MOM will have to deal with HIS problem, but you're good. 

Offline 4hisglory

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
    • Learn Gospel Musiic

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2007, 04:46:29 PM »
Wow....its so crazy that these so many stories like this are taking place in the church.

So did the Bishop say you couldn't back him up now?
:)

Offline Dre2004

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • The Joy of the Lord is My Strength!!

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2007, 05:00:33 PM »
Remember, what God has for you it is for you, and NO ONE can take your place during your season. Praise the Lord!!! Keep on Playing for the Lord.
I can do all things through christ. :)

Offline nessalynn77

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
    • Inspirational Contemplation

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2007, 05:13:01 PM »
You know what I don't quite understand... It's not even his instrument that you are learning, so it's not like you'll be taking his spot.  I wonder what's bothering him so? 

The only thing I can think of is that you're moving up to the organ was not his idea and it all kind of happened without his involvement.  Maybe he's the type that likes to be in complete control, where everything that happens in his dept was engineered by him. 

Or maybe he's worried that if you become the organist, you'll take a more leading position and perhaps may take his job, or outshine him?

How does the hired keyboardist feel about it?

Offline saxandkeys

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • "You ain't gotta go nowhere...I gotchu!"

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2007, 12:22:35 PM »

Do what you do man...forget about that cats ego, control, or attitude problem.  Don't give the situation any more of YOUR energy.  I always wanted to try to learn the organ...but I can't find the time to commit to it.

BTW: ?/?
This is an opinion....I don't think your Bishop should have even mentioned that conversation to you.  That may have just added to the tension.
I'd rather be imperfectly inspired, than to be perfectly entertained...

Offline MrSparrow

• LGM Member

« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2007, 12:11:02 PM »
Listen,

I was told not to get on the organ because I might "BREAK IT" when I was younger and first started playing. My dad was the chairman of the counting team (stay after church and count the money, make a recipt, take it to the bank deposit box etc...) so when he was doing his thing in the back office, the church was empty and I had time to practice on the piano and the organ.

Deacon Britton (I'll never forget him) was the instrument the devil tried to use to discourage me from getting on the organ but I did anyway and as things turn out everytime I'm back home (St. Augustine, FL) they have that same Hammond Organ I was chased off still up there and they can't WAIT for me to visit.

Don't sweat it...

I think the M.O.M. doesn't want to lose you as a drummer and he probably thinks as soon as you get REAL good on the organ, he will have to find a drummer as good as you are and that might be his problem.

Is there another drummer that you can train to take your place if you shift to organ? If not, start training one...

MrSparrow

Offline Kevykev388

• LGM Member

« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2007, 08:41:22 PM »
Listen,

I was told not to get on the organ because I might "BREAK IT" when I was younger and first started playing. My dad was the chairman of the counting team (stay after church and count the money, make a recipt, take it to the bank deposit box etc...) so when he was doing his thing in the back office, the church was empty and I had time to practice on the piano and the organ.

Deacon Britton (I'll never forget him) was the instrument the devil tried to use to discourage me from getting on the organ but I did anyway and as things turn out everytime I'm back home (St. Augustine, FL) they have that same Hammond Organ I was chased off still up there and they can't WAIT for me to visit.

Don't sweat it...

I think the M.O.M. doesn't want to lose you as a drummer and he probably thinks as soon as you get REAL good on the organ, he will have to find a drummer as good as you are and that might be his problem.

Is there another drummer that you can train to take your place if you shift to organ? If not, start training one...

MrSparrow

Just what he said. It's obvious that the bass play recognizes your potential to become a good organist. You mentioned he's the bass player and you primarily play drums. Like the guy above said....he may be just scared to loose you cuz don't forget....in a band....its up to the bassist and the drummer to keep everybody together!
Keys, bass, drums, trombone, I sing a lil bit too lol

Offline 2tight

• LGM Member

« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2007, 07:57:03 AM »
You know what I don't quite understand... It's not even his instrument that you are learning, so it's not like you'll be taking his spot.  I wonder what's bothering him so? 

The only thing I can think of is that you're moving up to the organ was not his idea and it all kind of happened without his involvement.  Maybe he's the type that likes to be in complete control, where everything that happens in his dept was engineered by him. 

Or maybe he's worried that if you become the organist, you'll take a more leading position and perhaps may take his job, or outshine him?

I agree with u.
Shannon moore

Rjthakid

« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2007, 11:42:13 AM »
Sorry about the delay.  I've been MIA for a while.

Wow....its so crazy that these so many stories like this are taking place in the church.

So did the Bishop say you couldn't back him up now?

No, he didn't take back what he said.

I back him up on Sundays.

STILL the tension is THICK.  The MOM still puts his bass down and sits in the congregation as soon as I get on the Organ.

Something he didn't do when the keyboard player hopped on the Organ.

You made some VERY accurate statments Nessalynn.

The keyboardist is cool.  No problems there.  He actually let me know of a church with an Organ that's looking for someone.  There services are Saturday, so it wouldn't interfere with my church.

Do what you do man...forget about that cats ego, control, or attitude problem.  Don't give the situation any more of YOUR energy.  I always wanted to try to learn the organ...but I can't find the time to commit to it.

BTW: ?/?
This is an opinion....I don't think your Bishop should have even mentioned that conversation to you.  That may have just added to the tension.

My Bishop tells me things he wouldn't tell others.  I've been there for 16 years, and I'm a Minister, so he trusts me to be able to handle it (I ASSUME so...)

Another VERY accurate statement.  I've been teaching my sister, but experience playing WITH other musicians is vital.  I can't get these brothas to have musicians rehearsal for nuthin. 

Offline bug

• LGM Member
  • Best teacher is one who makes you want to learn.
    • http://Music Services

« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2007, 03:07:29 PM »
You are very young young-man.  Do not let anyone discourage you!  Many advanced players have had people try to discourage them from learning anything, however your development and success depend on you.  You can allow others to stop you or you can become more determined to succeed.  This is a personal decision. I can't begin to tell you all of the discouragement I have suffered, including having my Sophomore year piano instructor at Indiana University tell me that I was wasn't anygood at playing the piano and maybe I should try to go to school and get a degree in something else. 

Out of all the discouragement I ever suffered that was the most discouraging, however it just made me more determined to play well.

Stay with it, because the personal reward of being an excellent musician cannot be duplicated.

brother scott
The greatest mistake most amateur musicians make is giving up.  Don't give up !!!

Offline Gibby

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Dad...i'm ready for the world!

« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2007, 11:11:38 AM »
stay encouraged rj.  just learning a totally different instrument by yourself (and help from others I would assume) shows your desire to want to learn.  never let anyone discourage you from furthering yourself in the music department.

Offline bishopcole

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • YES INDEED!!! AND THATS A RAP!!!

« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2007, 11:36:25 AM »
stay encouraged rj.  just learning a totally different instrument by yourself (and help from others I would assume) shows your desire to want to learn.  never let anyone discourage you from furthering yourself in the music department.

This is great Gibby!!  Bishop Cole
"Stay in God Always"  - Bishop Lamar Cole
"It's not about the Music, it's about the Ministry"

Offline jlc4703

• LGM Member
  • PC3X & PC3 in studio
    • Promised LAN Computing, Inc.

« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2007, 01:09:51 PM »
Just stay encouraged - PRAY to God that He will help you in your gift. From your words, you seem to be very careful to remain in God's order. At this point in time, your M.O.M. is above you in the music department (but your Bishop is above the M.O.M.)

Keep a good attitude, play drum as needed to God's glory, play organ only backing your Bishop. Encourage and raise up others in drumming.

In due time, God will raise you up. Be open to the doors that God may open, and allow Him to shut doors that He does not desire for you. Some folk think they don't owe God anything, because He doesn't send out statements each month. Rest assured that He can handle this matter. He can work on the M.O.M.'s heart (and can move him out if the heart is hard).

Blessed is the peacemaker (and I'm not referring to the Colt!)

It is pleasing to see so many here give you encouragement.

Blessings,

Jim
Jim Cason
Faith is the substance of things not seen

Offline Pianist84

• LGM Member
  • La Pianista

« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2007, 09:39:05 AM »

"I don't want to discourage you, but I don't think you should get on the Organ.  If people see you on the Organ they'll think they can just walk up and sit on it too.  You need to get a little Casio and practice at home."

WHAT???  >:( I can't believe the MOM said that to you. He should have been encouraging you. But I think that this MOM must be threaten by you or something. But don't let anyone discourage you. Just keep practicing and you will keep advancing in organ playing. And the next time someone discourage you, don't listen to them. Just keep playing and practicing.
"Sing to Him a new song; Play skillfully with a shout of joy." ~Psalm 33:3

Offline demusicman

• LGM Member
  • http://www.myspace.com/reverenceministry
    • http://www.myspace.com/demusicman

« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2007, 06:03:28 PM »
There was a similar situation at this churches I play for. There is a Minister of Music who plays for the Gospel Choir and Male Chorus, myself who plays for the Young Adult Choir and a good friend of mine who plays for the youth choir. Before I was called to serve as Musical Director for the Young Adult Choir, the churches choir director had been carrying them on acapella. There was a young member of the choir who is about 16 who has phenomenal potential who helped carry the service one day in his absence. When the choir director returned and heard about this he was furious, he also never encouraged the young man and just always pointed him back toward the choir loft. Upon my arrival as musical director, i instructed the young man to approach the piano as i went to the organ to play "YES" by shekinah glory. The pastor and members were ecstatic at the young man's skilled and the pastor in fact never really realized how well the young man could play. However the  choir director was furious and he wasted no time letting me know how furious he was at the close of service. He felt i had override his authority by not discussing the change with him. I kindly reminded him that the pastor left the business of music for this choir in my hands and I felt it was an appropriate change for the service. The pastor was so excited to hear the piano and organ together he requested that we continue this. The choir director was asked to step down from directing the young adult choir and I took on the duties of full direction of the choir while the young man served as my assistant. God truly works in mysterious ways. the only thing I can tell you my brother is that you can't allow for the devil to steal your joy or your determination. See Satan was a minstrel and that is the ministry he sets out to attack the most. And your case as well as the young man's case in my story were prime examples but you must allow your self to remember that there is NO DEFEAT because there is VICTORY IN CHRIST JESUS! So keep your head up and play that organ...maybe one day you'll become the Minister of Music!
Daniel E. Smalls, Minister of Music & Worship Arts
Heaven Bound Ministries Worship Center
Pages: [1]   Go Up