LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Musicians & Minstrels With An Attitude  (Read 2199 times)

AP Psalmist Jackson

Musicians & Minstrels With An Attitude
« on: December 14, 2006, 05:17:43 PM »
Glory be to God!  I tell you there IS a Word from the Lord.

It is written;

2 Kings 3:15  But now bring me a minstrel. And it came to pass, when the minstrel played, that the hand of the LORD came upon him.

This scripture is self explanatory but let's look at it more in depth.  It is IS a PRIVILEGE to play the Lord's music.  It is a privilege to be used by Him.  It IS a priviliged for YOU to have that gifting/calling in His music and NOT our own.  Remember to worship the CREATOR MORE than the creation!

Now let's get down to the heart of the matter.  No matter if you play SUN, SAT, WED or what ever services, you have a very POWERFUL gift/calling/anointing or ability to cause the very hand of the Lord to come upon the man/woman of God or to come down into those very services that you play for.  Whether God blesses you with $$$ for doing this or you do it just out of love for Him, realize the gift is FROM HIM and not ourselves.

So that means we can't WITH HOLD;

Proverbs 3:27  Withhold not good from them to whom it is due, when it is in the power of thine hand to do it.

I am so grateful that God did NOT strike me down or take away His blessing all the times I with held in a service.  No matter what comes against you (and yes there WILL be warfare through spirits and/or people if you're truly a minstrel) you've still got to give it all you have in services of the Lord Jesus Christ.  Ideally we're to be led of the Spirit at all times we do not always discern the Holy Spirit or obey Him.  This is why we can repent/confess and get back under the blood of Jesus.

I will make a short testimony.  When I'd play various congregations in undergraduate school, I would be in the flesh (through the revelation of a dream God gave me).  I've repented and confessed for that and obtained forgiveness.  People would anger me and I would with hold from playing unto God during those services.  Yes, WE minstrels and musicians and music people do this automatically.  We know how to conceal giving it all we've got and just give a mediocre ministry.  If you haven't done this then glory be to God.  However, if you have - STOP IT!  You should have the fear of God/the Lord upon your heart and life and know that He can really come after you for these treacherous things we do.

I never fouled up a service intentionally or did any hateful things like that because I was afraid for my job but when different unsaved people were hired over me or put in authority over me, I didn't open up and just play so openly.  I have my own thoughts and feelings about this but what I'm getting at is that in the line of music ministry, there are LOADS of devils to overcome (spiritual warfare - Ephesians 6).  Yes, congregations and people will vex you but God is still WORTHY.  I even got to a place where I said I wasn't going to give God praise/worship because of all I was going through.  I'm so glad He is forgiving, kind and patient with us (me);

Romans 2:4  Or despisest thou the riches of his goodness and forbearance and longsuffering; not knowing that the goodness of God leadeth thee to repentance?

I didn't like it when people would try to control my gifting and tell me how to play.  I didn't like being forced to play as though the leadership was going to MAKE or FORCE me to give it all I got.  I didn't like that being a minstrel (I didn't know I was a minstrel until several years ago).  Minstrels are more geared for spiritual things.  It takes the Spirit of God to discern His minstrels.  There are some minstrels who serve satan but their end result will be hell save they repent/confess and come to Christ truly.

As I began to grow in this calling, I realized (still through God's mercy/grace and goodness) that I desired to be Spirit led and NOT led by the auspices of man.  In this one congregation, we had a couple of Prophetic services where the Lord would manifest Himself.  I even remember this service where the  Reverend didn't want the choir to sing but let the minstrels play because there was an anointing on that Prophetic song that arose from the Spirit of the Lord. 

In short, what I'm saying to us all is don't hold back on your gift just because there's corruption in the congregation you're in.  Don't give up on God because He hasn't given up on you.  He has great plans in store for you if you surrender your own will and all to Him (I Corinthians 2).  He will deliver you on time and triumphantly, if you will die to self will and flesh.  Let Him create in you a clean heart and renew the right spirit within you (Psalms 51).

Even though you may not be in the great whore/harlot, system of man anymore - still let Him flow freely through you.  Let's look at this;

1 Chronicles 21:1  And Satan stood up against Israel, and provoked David to number Israel.

Now read that WHOLE chapter to see what God had to say about it.  When we sin, there is a recompense;

Romans 6:23  For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.

Someone asked why is there so much dying in the world.  The Lord God later revealed because we sin!

Now what I'm getting at is that don't let the devil provoke you to works of the flesh.  It's hard walking with Christ and not getting into the flesh.  I'm not going to put on pretenses about it.  Yet God gives us His grace to not operate in the flesh, PLUS His Spirit (Galatians 5).  When someone comes to you to provoke you to wrath, DON'T close up your gift and refuse to invite the Lord into that service because you're wounded/offended/hurt/misunderstood.  Don't get me wrong, it's easier said than done.  I've been in those situations and have failed miserable BUT God! 

It is written;

Psalms 103:8-14  The LORD is merciful and gracious, slow to anger, and plenteous in mercy.  He will not always chide: neither will he keep his anger for ever. He hath not dealt with us after our sins; nor rewarded us according to our iniquities. For as the heaven is high above the earth, so great is his mercy toward them that fear him.  As far as the east is from the west, so far hath he removed our transgressions from us. Like as a father pitieth his children, so the LORD pitieth them that fear him. For he knoweth our frame; he remembereth that we are dust.

And so to encourage you;

Psalms 103:1-6
  <<A Psalm of David.>> Bless the LORD, O my soul: and all that is within me, bless his holy name. Bless the LORD, O my soul, and forget not all his benefits: Who forgiveth all thine iniquities; who healeth all thy diseases; Who redeemeth thy life from destruction; who crowneth thee with lovingkindness and tender mercies; Who satisfieth thy mouth with good things; so that thy youth is renewed like the eagle's. The LORD executeth righteousness and judgment for all that are oppressed.

God KNOWS about your situation, circumstance, predicament AND dilema. Wait patiently on Him.  He will deliver AND defend you (I Samuel 17:47).  Let Him have His way IN you.  This means the death of your flesh and self will, however. 

Remember, I've been in those situations too before and I KNOW what they are like. Yet God delivered me from that unrighteousness and He will deliver you to (prophetically speaking).  Just wait on the Lord, wait I say on the Lord!

Offline all_pocket

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

Re: Musicians & Minstrels With An Attitude
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2007, 02:13:31 PM »
I know this is old man but, u hit this RIGHT on the head. I was dealing with the EXACT situation. I would "chill" when I was not feeling the flow of the hired musician(not minstrel).  And, as of today, I realize I AM A MINSTREL becuz my fuss is always about "us ministering as a band, and having the same mindset(mind of ministry).  WOW!  that's all I can say. I am at work RIGHT NOW, trying to find scriptures that illustrate what being a minstrel/church musician is and should be.  How ministry should come FIRST, not PERFORMING and PLAYING IN THE FLESH.  I cannot stand SHOWTIME musicians!  A musician should be Humble, selfless, skilled and have a growing relationship with God. This right here though:
I even got to a place where I said I wasn't going to give God praise/worship because of all I was going through.  I'm so glad He is forgiving, kind and patient with us (me);

I think we are related....u sound too much like myself man. I've felt that same exact way and am ALSO glad HE is SOOO patient and forgiving. 

Anyway I could keep going man but, I just wanted to say THANK YOU MY FELLOW MINSTREL!! 

May God's love and mercy continue to follow you as you continue to walk with Him in Ministry. 

Stay blessd

Offline KurzLand

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2007, 01:41:00 PM »
  I cannot stand SHOWTIME musicians! 

Please explain better. Give us an example of this.
"Experience is not what happens to a man; it is what a man does with what happens to him." -A.Huxley

Offline LyricTenor

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Not ONE Muslim joke!! >:-(

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2007, 02:42:10 PM »
Please explain better. Give us an example of this.

Basically, those that are NOT the things listed in the sentence after the one you quoted. 

My Twin Lincolns.

Offline GUTCH

• LGM Member

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2007, 12:15:30 AM »
HI I JUST WANTED TO SAY PRAISE GOD FOR YOUR POST I COULDN'T HAVE SAID IT ANY BETTER. I AM GOING THROUGH THE VERY THING YOU SPOKE ABOUT AND YOUR WORDS ARE WITH DEEP HUMILITY AND THEY HAVE TOUCHED MY HEART. THANK YOU SO MUCH I NEEDED THAT. GOD BLESS.

Offline KurzLand

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2007, 02:22:56 PM »
Basically, those that are NOT the things listed in the sentence after the one you quoted. 

My Twin Lincolns.

Maybe I understood wrong. Are you saying that you don't like musicians who FEEL the music? Feeling the music makes you move or dance. Right? So everybody gives a little show.
"Experience is not what happens to a man; it is what a man does with what happens to him." -A.Huxley

Offline all_pocket

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2007, 02:51:34 PM »
What i meant by "SHOWTIME musicians" was that they are musicians that play to be noticed and heard that LOVE to show off when they feel they are being watched(this is defn glorifying the flesh).  How u play should not be predicated on who's in the audience or who's listening. 

Offline LyricTenor

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Not ONE Muslim joke!! >:-(

« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2007, 02:05:09 PM »
What i meant by "SHOWTIME musicians" was that they are musicians that play to be noticed and heard that LOVE to show off when they feel they are being watched(this is defn glorifying the flesh).  How u play should not be predicated on who's in the audience or who's listening. 

Exactly.

Offline demusicman

• LGM Member
  • http://www.myspace.com/reverenceministry
    • http://www.myspace.com/demusicman

« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2007, 05:23:23 PM »
i shouted on this one....i have a staff of musicians and directors under me and I have needed this for myself mostly. Its hard when you work with a group of talented musicians, directors and singers and you have just given me my confirmation on what needs to be addressed at our Staff Meeting tonight thank you, your words have truly been a blessing to me and i know that you have truly been anointed for your calling. I have been talking with members of my choirs and music staff about some of the things in this article and you have just brought it around full circle and with more force than I did and I praise God for that word. Stay Blessed!
Daniel E. Smalls, Minister of Music & Worship Arts
Heaven Bound Ministries Worship Center
Pages: [1]   Go Up