LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: electronics work?  (Read 451 times)

Offline ddwilkins

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My Arsenal!!!!
    • D'Wayne's Spot

electronics work?
« on: December 14, 2006, 09:38:01 PM »
Who does there own electronics installation on their bass?  At the end of the month, I'm going to purchase an Aguilar OBP-1 preamp and replacing the EMG preamp in my Schecter.  I'm not feeling the EMG preamp at all.  I was wondering if anyone had the OBP-1 preamp and how it sounded? also, if you installed it, was it difficult or fairly easy to install?
Keep God first and he'll do the rest!!!

Offline jeremyr

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Callowhill fanatic
    • My Youtube Chanel

Re: electronics work?
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2006, 11:42:38 PM »
Who does there own electronics installation on their bass?  At the end of the month, I'm going to purchase an Aguilar OBP-1 preamp and replacing the EMG preamp in my Schecter.  I'm not feeling the EMG preamp at all.  I was wondering if anyone had the OBP-1 preamp and how it sounded? also, if you installed it, was it difficult or fairly easy to install?

I've never installed one, but it honestly looks pretty straight forward.  I have played one that was in a calloway "maurice fitzgerald" 6string for a little bit and it was pretty nice. 
Somebody put me in the key of E#

Offline browntree

• LGM Member
  • www.reverbnation.com/btree

Re: electronics work?
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2006, 02:12:23 PM »
I do my own electronics work ddwilkins... I also own a schecter that's about to get an upgrade.  I'm going to replace the eq, but I think I'm going to stick with EMG.  Have you tried changing the frequency settings on your EMG eq?  I think I'm also going to replace the passive pickups with active EMGs.  The electronics work isn't that hard if you have the proper tools. 
-If you are worried, make a diagram of what your circuit looks like now.  That way if you make any mistakes, you'll have the original diagram of your circuit (you can find it online, but this way is better because you'll diagram it as you see it).  After that, just follow the installation instructions that will come with the new circuit.  They may be somewhat confusing (because of generality for all basses), but here's where your diagram you made will come in handy.  The new circuit will probably follow the same type of installation as your original. 
-You may have to cut and adjust the length of the wires between the pots to fit your bass specs.  It will be good to have some wire, heat shrink and a good soldering iron (all you can get from Radio shack for ~$30).
-If you have the space, I'd go ahead and connect the 2-battery (parallel circuit) setup for extra headroom.  I think it matters for the type of play we all are looking for.  I think you'll enjoy doing your own work. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up