LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: In Need of some Advice...  (Read 2522 times)

Offline Annointed86

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

In Need of some Advice...
« on: December 17, 2006, 05:39:00 PM »
Goodevening to ALL,

I'm actually an orgainst looking for some advice...My dad has been playing sax for a few years, we have been working HARD for the past yrs. on theory, me showing him some tips and theory points i have been picking from middle school through college...im actually about to incorporate him into the church services that i play for on sunday, I am looking for any thoery points from a GOSPEL stand point that i could relay to him...THANKS FOR ANY INFORMATION!!!

GOD BLESS

Offline Wolfram

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My dog Bear (125lbs of Luv)
    • Wolfram a/k/a Don Zlaty

Re: In Need of some Advice...
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2006, 01:05:11 PM »
Annointed:

The biggest suggestions I can give are

to have him play with sensitivity.  In other words, when you are new to playing situation, take your time to see what is happening around you. 

Make sure you are not playing so loud that you are blowing the worship out of the room. 

Play simple lines.  Try the melody. 

Follow the leader... You are not the leader... 

Less is more... 

If you feel like busting out and trying to improvise, timing is everything.  Wait for a break in the words. 

Know the song.. 

Know your saxophone...

Don't practice on stage.  Come prepared.  Get the music in advanced and work on those keys... 

Remember you are there to worship too...

I hope this helps...

Wolfram

Offline Cherri

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Imperial Majesty! $200,000...

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2006, 07:36:28 AM »
Well said...
What can I $ay Juanita Bynum is my cicerone.

Offline keynote

• LGM Member
  • Ps 16:1

« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2006, 08:07:51 PM »
AMEN!!!

- took me a few years to learn that stuff - priceless info right there.... I've had my mic cut off plenty of times.... LOL

Look where he brought me from.... lol
Take care and be blessed!  Ps 16

Offline pdpguy

• LGM Member

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2006, 02:02:47 PM »

Make sure you are not playing so loud that you are blowing the worship out of the room.  

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Whew!!

Man, that's rich. I have noticed that the guys who usually play loudest aren't really all that good. It's just funny that you should mention that. I have a 50 year old sax student and that was one of the first things I had to teach him, come down in volume. . . control your tone. . .

All of these are good common sense musical points. This one just stuck out to me the most.

One thing to add. I like what Wolfram said about playing the melody. Many times playing the melody with grace notes added here and there is much more effective and meaningful than just running scales fast. If you can, have your dad listen to Donald Hayes. He's a master at this. And he's prominent in the Gospel arena. He can be heard on the following projects:

John P. Kee -- Reunion, Not Guilty, ColorBlind
Colorado Mass Choir (1st 3 CDs)
Quiet Times
Reflections
Fred Hammond -- Pages of Life
Kirk Franklin -- Christmas
Ben Tankard -- Instrumentally Yours
James Moore -- Live at Jackson State University

You can google him and more items on his discography may pop up. Don't try to make your dad play like him, but he's a good example of how to be musically aware.

Offline Jbroad572

• LGM Member
    • http://www.myspace.com/b5productions

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2006, 10:36:36 AM »
Another thing that helped me was taking a recorder during rehearsal. Go home and sing what you hear yourself playing. After singing it of course find it on your sax, write out some licks, parts, and memorize or just take the sheet with the notes written out.
Hope that helps....

Offline Annointed86

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2007, 04:02:10 PM »
MAN THANKS TO ALL WHO PROVIDED ME WITH ADVICE...I TOOK EVERYTHING INTO CONSIDERATION AND EVERYTHING IS FLOWING SMOOTHELY...THANKS AND GOD BLESS!!
Pages: [1]   Go Up