LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New twists to old ideas  (Read 2520 times)

Offline jazzy_b

• LGM Member

New twists to old ideas
« on: July 29, 2003, 12:17:15 AM »
Is there anyone on here that has a new or "jazzy" way to play old introits or anthems, such as Praise God From Whom, or All things Come of Thee???
I  have some ideas that I got my from home church's organist but I am always interested in hearing the ideas from the musicians off of this site.
If you think that you might be of some assistance then do repsond, if not then thank you anyway..

Be Blessed

Offline Long Fingers

• LGM Member

Re: New twists to old ideas
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2003, 10:01:03 AM »
Quote from: jazzy_b
Is there anyone on here that has a new or "jazzy" way to play old introits or anthems, such as Praise God From Whom, or All things Come of Thee???
I  have some ideas that I got my from home church's organist but I am always interested in hearing the ideas from the musicians off of this site.
If you think that you might be of some assistance then do repsond, if not then thank you anyway..

Be Blessed

"Praise God From Whom All Blessings Flow" isn't an anthem or introit, it's called a doxology. And "All Things Come Of Thee" isn't an anthem or introit either, it's called an offertory. Now Im not sure how to explain the difference between an anthem and a regular song, I'll ask someone and get that information for you, but there is a difference. I can tell you that an introit/processional is a chant that's usually sung as people or the choir comes into the sanctuary, like "The Lord Is In His Holy Temple".

Now my old church still sings the offertory "All Things Come Of Thee" and "We Give Thee But Thine Own" and "The Gloria Patri" after the scripture reading. The musician played it so dull like, like at a cathedral...all classical like (she had it programed into the keyboard in a pipe organ voicing...so you can imagine). I didn't like the sound of it, so when I had to play those things, I added a more kind of churchy (not a word I like to use..lol) sound to it, that was more modern. I'll post what I played. Mainly though, in "All Things Come Of Thee", I'm doubling my chords (whatever chord I'm playing in my right, I'd play it also in my left hand), to give it a more fuller sound. I'll post what I play, I don't think it's jazzy (again another word I don't like to use...but I can't really think today...lol), but my church members thought so, but then again anything that's compared to what my old church musicians played sounded contemporary (I shouldn't have said that...oh well). So I'll try to help you the best way I can a little later today.

Re: New twists to old ideas
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2003, 10:49:49 AM »
Is there anyone on here that has a new or "jazzy" way to play old introits or anthems, such as Praise God From Whom,

DOXOLOGY
Ab
Arr. By Hammondman!

This is a little jazzy, but still holds to the melody, because it’s a hymn, and they’re really not to be messed with in a service, this is an excellent way to learn how to play chords for every word of a song, if it warrants it. Daryl or Sis T. should have the midi for this soon.

LH / RH - WORDS

AbEb - Ab - PRAISE
GEb / Eb - GOD
ED / GADGbA - FROM
EbDb / GbAbDbFAb - WHOME
AbGb / F - ALL
DbAb / Db - BLESS -
EbBb / Eb7 - INGS
AbDb / Ab - FLOW
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
EbBb / Ab - PRAISE HIM
DbB / Eb - CREA
CEBb / Ab - TURES
BbF / Bbm7 - HERE
DGbC / Bb - BE
EbGDb / Eb - LOW
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
AbEb / Ab - PRAISE
BbF / Bbm - HIM
CG / Bb - A
BbF / Ab - BOVE
DbAb / Fm7 - HEAV'N
EbDb / C - LY
AbEb / Ab - HOST
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
EbBb / Ab - PRAISE
CEb / Ab - FA -
AbGb / Ab - THER
BbAb / Db6 - SON
GbDb / EM7(b5) - AND
EbBb / Ab - HO -
EbDb / Eb - LY
AbEb / Ab - GHOST
EB / AbGbDb - AAAA
BGb / Em7 - AAAAA
EbBb / Db - AAAAA
AbEb / Cm7 - MEN

Offline ciccv

• LGM Member

New twists to old ideas
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2003, 03:20:03 PM »
Thank you so much jazzy_b for asking for these chants.
I just started working at a Methodist church and I’m from the Apostolic church.
I had no idea what these chants where. This is such a blessing to me because
They sing all three of them. If you’ll have the chords for the other two, it would help me out allot.  I know it will sound better then what I can play J

ciccv

Offline jazzy_b

• LGM Member

New twists to old ideas
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2003, 04:25:34 PM »
Hey everyone

Okay, ciccv, allow me to ask you what "other two" are you looking for because i'm not sure and maybe I or someone else for that matter, may be of some assistance to you.

Okay, now to longfingers thanks a lot for that little piece of knowledge, I do apologize for not using the correct terminology, because I do know the difference between an athem, introit,offertory hymn,and doxology.lol
I was just cutting a few corners.lol I apologize :D
Okay now an athem is a choral composition with words from the bible or other religious text. An introit is just a chant as we all know, and ofcourse an offertory hymn is just a composition performed during the gathering of the offering, and a doxology ia a congregational responce often sung at the time of offering, invocation, or benediction.

I am truly thankful for you all, I am on this site everyday, just to learn something new.lol

I pray that God enlarges all of your ministries.

Be Blessed

Offline jazzy_b

• LGM Member

New twists to old ideas
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2003, 04:28:42 PM »
Hey everyone

Okay, ciccv, allow me to ask you what "other two" are you looking for because i'm not sure and maybe I or someone else for that matter, may be of some assistance to you.

Okay, now to longfingers thanks a lot for that little piece of knowledge, I do apologize for not using the correct terminology, because I do know the difference between an athem, introit,offertory hymn,and doxology.lol
Okay now an athem is a choral composition with words from the bible or other religious text. An introit is just a chant as we all know, and ofcourse an offertory hymn is just a composition performed during the gathering of the offering, and a doxology ia a congregational responce often sung at the time of offering, invocation, or benediction.

I am truly thankful for you all, I am on this site everyday, just to learn something new.lol

I pray that God enlarges all of your ministries.

Be Blessed

Offline Long Fingers

• LGM Member

New twists to old ideas
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2003, 04:36:33 PM »
Quote from: ciccv
Thank you so much jazzy_b for asking for these chants.
I just started working at a Methodist church and I’m from the Apostolic church.
I had no idea what these chants where. This is such a blessing to me because
They sing all three of them. If you’ll have the chords for the other two, it would help me out allot.  I know it will sound better then what I can play J

ciccv

All the different chant, introit, doxologies, offertories can be found in the National Baptist Hymnal, African Amercan Heritage Hymnal, C.M.E. Hymnal, Songs of Zion hymnal. If you don't own one, first see if the church you play for has an hymnal, if not ask at other churches or other musicians in your area. If that fails you can always purchase these online at N Time Music ( http://www.ntimemusic). If you go to GMWA this year, they'll have alot of booths where you can purchase sheet music and hymnals.

Offline Long Fingers

• LGM Member

New twists to old ideas
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2003, 04:43:40 PM »

It's okay, I didn't know if you knew or not, it doesn't help to know that though. I think as musicians for the church of God, we should also know a bit more about different aspects of music within the service. Thank you though for breaking it down for other people, hopefully it'll be useful to someone.

Offline ciccv

• LGM Member

New twists to old ideas
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2003, 10:44:04 AM »
"All Things Come Of Thee"  "The Lord Is In His Holy Temple", are the other two I was talking about. I love this site,  I learn something new every time I come here.

Thanks you sooo much!

Offline Long Fingers

• LGM Member

New twists to old ideas
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2003, 12:24:33 PM »
Quote from: ciccv
"All Things Come Of Thee"  "The Lord Is In His Holy Temple", are the other two I was talking about. I love this site,  I learn something new every time I come here.

Thanks you sooo much!

Both of  those can be found in can be found in the National Baptist Hymnal, African Amercan Heritage Hymnal, C.M.E. Hymnal, or Songs of Zion hymnal. If you don't own one, first see if the church you play for has an hymnal, if not ask at other churches or other musicians in your area. If that fails you can always purchase these online at N Time Music ( http://www.ntimemusic). If you go to GMWA this year, they'll have alot of booths where you can purchase sheet music and hymnals.
Pages: [1]   Go Up