LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: I need help playing choir songs  (Read 3909 times)

Offline Iamblessedinthecity

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

I need help playing choir songs
« on: July 30, 2003, 09:34:07 AM »
I have come to a musical standstill. I have come along way from my beginning. I understand I,IV, and  the V7. I understand the minors in the key. I know about the dominate of the dominate. I understand some of diminished chords. I know the Bflat-f-g-C run. I use the C-E-Am-Dm-G-C. I can do the C-C7-F-Fsharp diminished-C. But choir songs(especially fred, kirk, donnie, and hezekiah) use chord patterns that I can't comprehend. Although I come here when I can't figure out a song, I want to be able to figure a song when my choir director hands me tape and says play this. I know this maybe tough, but could you write a tutorial on songs that use common progressions but very uncomon chords.

Anyone's help would be greatly appreciated

PS: I am having trouble matching chords with the bass lines I am doing

Have a blessed day

Offline B3Wannabe

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

I need help playing choir songs
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2003, 04:50:00 PM »
Sounds like you need to start learning substitutions. Look at the lessons here, and on http://www.gospelorgan.com those uncommon chords are more common than you think. They're just at another level of common. However, before starting into this territory, be sure you understand what this is: 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10-11-12-13

Those songs that you can't understand, listen to intently, try to break apart the chords, note by note then analyze them next to your bass note. Also, follow the bass line of the song, as close as possible. This will help you learn all of the previous things and relates to the 123s mentioned above.

Hope this helps....

Offline MsHutchison

• LGM Member
    • Monster Musician

Re: I need help playing choir songs
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2010, 04:27:55 PM »
I know how you feel. I was the same way . I hope this helps. I know you said you can play different progressions. Do you know your major scales ? If you do then this should help you. Here are the most common chord progressions that Ive found in Gospel Music.Even Kirk follows these a lot..just has some different variations with the 13 chord and other subs. So here is an example of what Im saying.

You have your Roman Numeral Formula for all Major Keys and that is  I ii iii IV V vi VI
The uppercase(I IV V) are all Major Chords. The lowercase (ii iii vi) are all minor.
In the key of C the MAjor Scale is CDEFGABC . So the one chord of the key  C is C . The 2 chord is Dm. The 3rd is Em ..etc..
So using this you should be able to learn all the normal progressions.
Top Gospel Music Progressions!
2_5_1                          7_3_6
5_1_4                          7_3_6_2_5_1
1_6_2_5_1
5_6_2_5_1                     3_6-2_5_1

I really hope this helps!
Charity www.monstermusician.wordpress.com

Offline siddle88

• LGM Member

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2010, 07:48:15 AM »
I am very happy to read your post. In present time I will be success. I will try very soon.

Offline bretlee007

• LGM Member

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2010, 01:08:43 AM »
We have come to a musical standstill. Some of them are well on it and some of them are week. I can not understand what to do? I   I am one of them of week group so I need some help. If you helped me, I would great-full to you.

Mailbox
Postbox
Postal address  

siddle35

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2011, 09:03:55 AM »
Thanks, all of you, for nice information. I will be tried very soon.
Pages: [1]   Go Up