LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Musicians...SAVED or NOT SAVED  (Read 7821 times)

Offline cordney

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • We will meet again!!!

Musicians...SAVED or NOT SAVED
« on: January 01, 2007, 12:13:01 AM »
I wanted to know how others felt about musicians playing and not being saved.
‎"It is okay to fail, it is unacceptable to become a failure"

Offline Steelpulz

• LGM Member
    • gospelbassmusic

Re: Musicians...SAVED or NOT SAVED
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2007, 03:53:30 AM »
My first thought is no. On second thought, some folk have been brought to Jesus through playing and other services on His behalf. So bottomline is, whoever is in charge needs to pray and make a decision.
Conklin GTBD-7, Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0, Glasstone Lil G2, Holy Bible

Offline ddwilkins

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My Arsenal!!!!
    • D'Wayne's Spot

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2007, 07:45:06 AM »
Its not my place to say whether they can or can't play, but I believe that if they are at church at the least they can get the word and God can talk to their spirit and a seed can be planted.
Keep God first and he'll do the rest!!!

Offline laj528

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Preach the word!
    • H.O.P.E. Ministries

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2007, 02:15:09 PM »
I think that if they are playing for the church  as in all ministries that a standard has to be set.  However, the original question was some what open. 
So if they are a guest playing it may be okay depending on the Pastors views.
As for me the music department is ministry and the bylaws dictate that anyone holding a position in ministry must be saved.
Follow peace with all men, and holiness, without which no man shall see the Lord (Heb12:14)

Offline godsbassman2000

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2007, 03:25:51 PM »

How about shedding a little more light on why this question is being asked.

Thanks
"You can't glorify God and yourself at the same time"

Offline uriahsmusic

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
    • http://WWW.URIAHSMUSIC.COM

« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2007, 04:21:01 PM »
I think that if they are playing for the church  as in all ministries that a standard has to be set.  However, the original question was some what open.  So if they are a guest playing it may be okay depending on the Pastors views.
As for me the music department is ministry and the bylaws dictate that anyone holding a position in ministry must be saved.

...so how do you know they are saved....????

Offline mr.dj

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Coko and Mae

« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2007, 07:58:31 PM »
I'm not trying to be deep but, the good book(bible) does say that gifts come without repentances so I do feel you can play or at least be allowed to play.  Plus read Psalms 150 it doesn't say if your saved praise him on the stringed instruments.  My 2 cents
"Even when you're justified, be dignified."  Cornel West

Offline Steelpulz

• LGM Member
    • gospelbassmusic

« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2007, 10:10:09 PM »
If a rock can praise Him.. I guess an unsaved musician can too.
Conklin GTBD-7, Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0, Glasstone Lil G2, Holy Bible

Offline cordney

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • We will meet again!!!

« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2007, 10:18:48 PM »
I asked the question just(out of curiosity) to see how others felt...I feel if you're unsaved but trying to get right then you should be allowed to play.  I, also, feel that someone's music saved or unsaved can help someone else find what they are looking for. 
‎"It is okay to fail, it is unacceptable to become a failure"

Offline laj528

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Preach the word!
    • H.O.P.E. Ministries

« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2007, 01:20:15 AM »
First of all let me say Praise the Lord Bro. Uriah,

It has been a while since I have exchanged thoughts with you. I have read that you have been under the weather. I pray that all is better.

Now for your question:
So how do you know they are saved....????

Well that is a very good question and the quickest answer would be…

know them that labor among you. 1 Th 5:12

But that would be too easy for a good exchange of dialect.
So how about:

The Spirit itself beareth witness with our spirit, that we are the children of God: Rom 8:16

Wherefore by their fruits ye shall know them.
Matt 7:20

But watch thou in all things, endure afflictions, do the work of an evangelist, make full proof of thy ministry. 2 Tim 4:5
(enfaces on make full proof of thy ministry)

By this shall all men know that ye are my disciples, if ye have love one to another. John 13:35

IMHO

Follow peace with all men, and holiness, without which no man shall see the Lord (Heb12:14)

Offline mr.dj

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Coko and Mae

« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2007, 01:57:10 AM »
First of all let me say Praise the Lord Bro. Uriah,

It has been a while since I have exchanged thoughts with you. I have read that you have been under the weather. I pray that all is better.

Now for your question:
Well that is a very good question and the quickest answer would be…

know them that labor among you. 1 Th 5:12

But that would be too easy for a good exchange of dialect.
So how about:

The Spirit itself beareth witness with our spirit, that we are the children of God: Rom 8:16

Wherefore by their fruits ye shall know them.
Matt 7:20

But watch thou in all things, endure afflictions, do the work of an evangelist, make full proof of thy ministry. 2 Tim 4:5
(enfaces on make full proof of thy ministry)

By this shall all men know that ye are my disciples, if ye have love one to another. John 13:35

IMHO

I know this is for Uriah but ....
What about the look-a-likes you know the ones that dresses the part to a T but when push comes to shove the just like the unsaved person.

Offline laj528

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Preach the word!
    • H.O.P.E. Ministries

« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2007, 02:10:51 AM »
Praise him Mr.DJ,

Great questions!

That is a problem if we are fooled by a false spirit…..

I believe if we have done all that we can do to be led of God and we make a mistake as soon as we find it out that we have been fooled we should repair the damage and rid the “Achan.”  Joshua 7th chapter. Okay maybe not to the degree that is portrayed in the chapter but I think you know what I am saying.

By the way if we being filled with the Holy Ghost are dependant on the Holy Ghost to guide us how come we get fooled? Hummmmmmmmmmm

Peace
 Stay Blessed

Offline ptidwell

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Owner LoPHAT Cabinets
    • http://www.inspiredwordministries.org

« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2007, 08:18:07 AM »
Good question. I hope my (opinion) is one that  will carry a Spiritual overtone rather than what I think.
First of all I am a senior pastor of a medium size church, therefore my response to the question is from
a ministry prospective. Now if someone comes through the doors of the church as a visitor, guest or
someone seriously seeking the Lord, who expresses the fact that they play or sing. I would embrase
them as I would anyone. However I would also take the time to find out their interest and how they
see themselves utilizing their gift. Some may say I want to give my gift to the church because God has
blessed me with it, and not associate that along with the plan of salvation. Now that is where good
teaching and preaching and wisdom should come in. Allow me to explain, The Lord does teach us
patience and many times we feel the need to press people into ministry as opposed to God drawing
them into it, especially when it comes to the music ministry. It takes patience to catch a fish, and skill
to skin it.
This is getting lenghty but allow me to make my point.
I hope we can agree that to play music skillfully is a gift that is honned through time, hopefully we can
futher agree that music does carry a certain spirit. So as musicians we may have the gift and the skill, but
to be as effective as God would want us to be we need the anointing. Now if we are going to be before
God and His people to usher in the Spirit of God into our mist. I talking about that yoke destroying burden
removing power of God that anointing that is coming from our heart through our fingers and amplified into
the ears of the hearers that causes there hearts to  melt for God. I have heard very talented musicians and
singers that could give you chills or goose bumps, but that's not a substitute for the anointing, so I am further
saying that I would not recruit, or hire a musician on talent alone. How can we usher in a Spirit that we do not
know. God is holding us to a standard. If we compromise it here, then why as a pastor shouls I be saved, can't
I just preach and teach because I know the word. Do I need to know God to be be effective? And if people expect
me as a pastor to know God and live for Him, is it rediculous for musicians, singer, ushers, and anyone else effecting
God's people to come up yo the standard. After all we are ministers are we not, through the music comes a message
and we are the containers, I preach and play for God because I love Him with all my heart my soul and my strength.
When I play I am serenading Him playing to Him and for Him those that are present just happen to be the receipants
of that demonstration of love translated into power. An unsaved person gifted and all will never make that connection
until God takes them there. So we must be careful how we handle the Lord's business.
Sorry for the long post.

Blessings, 

Owner LoPHAT Cabinets
http://lophatcabinets.com

Offline Torch7

• LGM Member
    • Gospel Bass Guitar Lessons Site

« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2007, 09:23:32 AM »
I say no... I agree with Pastor Gospaul.

The  Church is not a social club, those who minister, should be held to a standard.  I would even go as far as being "quote"  "unquote" "SAVED" - and living a CARNAL lifestyle.  That is a whole nother, topic to itself, need sit down somewhere.

About the Gifts and Callings being without repentance, this is true.  But that in no way shape or form means, people who haven't, given their lives to the Lord, are gifted of God.  The gifts of God can only be given through the Holy Spirit dwelling on the inside.  That scripture is refering to the Gifts of God being irrevocable, once given, he doesn't take them back.

This post is not to be self righteous, or shake a finger saying nan-nanny-boo-boo you can't play, but to state GOD has a standard, that has not changed.  The scripture bears witness to this line of thought.  If you look at the scriptures as a whole, sin was not tolerated, at all.  Today's church has become politically correct, under the guise of not being judgemental.  Which is why there is power lacking in so many believers, to simply live this Christian Life to  the Glory of God.  Casual Christianity =  neglecting God's gift.

Offline carlmack7183

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
    • Carl's Business

« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2007, 09:44:05 AM »
I personally believe that it's not my place to judge whether someone is saved or not,; furthermore, I don't think that it's my place to say who can or cannot play in church. Everyone has a personal relationship with GOd and it's up to that person to make that decision. Just my take on things

Offline Torch7

• LGM Member

« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2007, 10:43:31 AM »
This is not about Judgement, no one can Judge righteously but God, when it comes to someone's salvation.  The original Question was about "unsaved" musicians, so there is no guessing, if they are saved or not.  He didn't ask about professing Christians.  So my assumption is they are admittedly "UNSAVED"

I have to disagree, that everyone has a relationship with God.  Again, this is not my opinion, this is according to the BIBLE.  Humanity came out of God, but after sin came in, there was a separation, and now only through Jesus, can fellowship/relationship be restored.

If it was left up to everyone's discretion if they played or not, it would be anarchy.  God has established Church government for our own good.  With that said, if a fellowship of believers, allows people who are admittedly "UNSAVED" to play.  Then that's the responsibility, and perogative of that particular fellowship of believers Leadership.  I don't speak against them, I don't say they are damned to Hell, or anything like that.

Offline BigFoot_BigThumb

• LGM Member
  • The Waves SSL 4000 plug-ins. The greatest EVER!!!

« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2007, 11:01:29 AM »

What about the look-a-likes you know the ones that dresses the part to a T but when push comes to shove the just like the unsaved person.

My sentiments exactly.  I know guys that played dilignelty, waved their hands in the air, and even offered a few shouts.  Help them load their gear into the car, and they got weed ready for the road.  They just didn't know I saw it. 
When you've done your very best, do even better.

Offline Torch7

• LGM Member

« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2007, 11:11:07 AM »

My sentiments exactly.  I know guys that played dilignelty, waved their hands in the air, and even offered a few shouts.  Help them load their gear into the car, and they got weed ready for the road.  They just didn't know I saw it. 

:o I'd snitch them out...   ;D

Offline mr.dj

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Coko and Mae

« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2007, 12:56:37 PM »
I'm going to tell my story hope it helps... I played bass long before I was saved never played in a night club or anything of that nature always played in the church.  Being that I'm apostolic I was not demeed saved until I was filled with the HolySpirit, but my lifestyle had changed so basically I was saved not Spirit-filled.   

So when it came down to me playing I was only able to play for my local church but I hung around the guys that played for the other church functions that called themselves "Spirit-filled"  They did any and everything they could and people knew this but allowed them to play but made a big stink when I wanted to play and found out I was not spirit-filled. 

You mean to tell me that you would allow musician who call themselves SAVED to play for your church, but the musician that is trying to do right all they know how you would pull him aside and tell him you can't play.

Offline lumbebear1

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • A Merry Heart makes Good Medicine

« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2007, 01:05:22 PM »

If God has blessed them with the gift of music who are we to decide whether they play or not
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up