LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: The Guitar as a Rhythm Instrument  (Read 3939 times)

Offline BBoy

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Let's Praise Jesus Together!

The Guitar as a Rhythm Instrument
« on: July 11, 2004, 11:23:00 AM »
Just another two cents on guitar that maybe someone can learn from.

One of the great things about the guitar is that it is also a rhythm instrument. You can't play guitar without a sense of rhythm . . . at least, you have to develop a sense of rhythm  :wink:

Let's look at a funky shuffle that is easy to pick up and well help your apprecaition of the guitar as a rhythm instrument.

Guitar grooves are often played in sixteenth notes, so you will have four notes to every beat. Let's learn how to make a rhythmic "click" to this system.

Pick a note, a single note on the guitar. Press your fretting finger firmly against the string, pressing it to the fret and play that note. Now lift your left hand, or your fretting hand, up so that it isn't pressing the string against the fret, but is just lighting touching the string. Now play it again. You have "muted" that note, or made a percussive "click." Now, play a series of sixteenth notes . . . but only play one note, then two muted notes, then the note again, then two muted notes. So you are playing this: NOTE, click click NOTE click click NOTE click click. You will get this very cool sounding "ONE, two three, One, two three, One, two three" lick going. That would be great to play during an introduction, bridge, or modify it to play with an organist during shout music.  When you have mastered this lick with one note, pick a chord . . . usually a ninth chord, because that is very common in guitar grooves . . . and practice the same style with the ninth chord.

Remember, guitar grooves are often played in sixteenth notes . . . . both lead and, I would imagine, bass guitar. Hope this helps, and  . . . Be Blessed!
Joshua 1: 7, 8

Offline JayP5150

• LGM Member
    • PEEBSound Guitar Effects

« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2004, 10:04:52 AM »
I would say you are on the right track with your statements, but I would not even say that guitar grooves are often played in 16ths.  For your example, it works perfectly, but there are many other cool things you can do using syncopation (holding a chord or note out for a few beats at a time).  that can give you a swing, or shuffle feel, and completely turn a song around, so not every song sounds the same.

Also, for lead playing, it's totally by feel.  I would not limit myself to any particular timing on leads.  If it fits, it fits.  You can hold a note for 5 or 10 seconds, and just bend that sucker for all it's worth.  Get some feedback.  Play double-stops.  Do whatevver you feel, so long as it doesn't stick out like crazy from the song.

That's just my opinion, though.

Offline wmuk

• LGM Member
    • http://

guitar help
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2004, 11:30:54 AM »
Hi, i am very desperetly lookin' for tips on how to play the guitar on worship songs....how does the guitar play with the keyboard in gospel songs??

Thank you. GOd bless u

Offline JayP5150

• LGM Member
    • PEEBSound Guitar Effects

Re: guitar help
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2004, 01:17:46 PM »
Quote from: wmuk
Hi, i am very desperetly lookin' for tips on how to play the guitar on worship songs....how does the guitar play with the keyboard in gospel songs??

Thank you. GOd bless u

You can generally play right along with the keyboard's chords.  the only thing that I have noticed is that our keyboard player will play a lot of passing chords that you don't really have to hit on the guitar.  I'm not saying to slack, but you can play little fills in between the changes (these are usually little piano fills anyway, and would be almost impossible to duplicate on a guitar, due to the difference in the movement required to make those changes).

Of course, your inversions are going to be different, but it should be the same chords.  Also, watch out for your keyboard player writing the chords wrong (if they give you a transcription sheet), I have had songs where she put a B/E (B with an E root) but she was actually playing a B7.  I think that was just her, though.  Piano players think a little differently, I think (the piano is very linear, where as the guitar is shape-oriented.  everything is in "boxes").

I hope that didn't confuse you.  Let me know.

Offline wmuk

• LGM Member

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2004, 02:00:55 PM »
Thank you. I'd like to get in touch with some gospel guitar players...to exchange ideas...

Offline mnewman

• LGM Member

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2004, 04:34:01 PM »
:D I been playing now for a while and I consider myself to be a rythm guitarist. Most of the years playing R&B and jazz I would usually place my rythms with the snare. Playing on the snare beat on side at the bottom and in between. Try it and you'll come up with some interesting patterns.
Be blessed
Michael Peter Newman

Offline mnewman

• LGM Member

guitar
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2004, 05:13:07 PM »
Newbie I'm Michael Peter Newman and It's just too cool to have someone interested in my favorite thing. First of all, learn basic guitar chords and play them till ya master them. Afterwards you take those chords and learn to "phrase" which means to play a group of chords together to form the song you are playing. When you learn a song, don't ever learn chord by chord, but learn "phrases" and you actually have less to learn and remember!
Peace Out Newbie
MPNmnewman@gt.rr.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up