LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Another praise team question  (Read 3491 times)

Offline Rown

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

Another praise team question
« on: January 03, 2007, 10:47:34 AM »
At your church,how did you pick, who would be on the praise team.At my church,our pastor pick the praise team members.Nobody else had any input on it at all.Is this how it is normanly done? OKAY; NOW CHECK THIS OUT.The young lady, who went to him,about the ideal of getting one started,HE DID NOT PICK HER TO BE ON THE TEAM  >:( I guess he had his reasons,but when i say this young lady can sing,people the girl can GET DOWN.I guess i do not have to say,she is no longer a member at the CHURCH.

Offline MrSparrow

• LGM Member

Re: Another praise team question
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2007, 10:59:21 AM »
It depends... you have to work with what you got...

The church I'm at now actually had a praise team when I took over... I sat them down and had some training classes/worship classes and those who were faithful to the classes that were already on the praise team remained, those who were not faithful to the classes were left off...

As the need arises, I'll sit someone down and replace as I deem necessary.

My Pastor is a hands off Pastor... (meaning he lets me do what I need to do without his say for every single subject/problem/etc...)

The church I was at before that the Pastor would give me a cd and tell me "these are the songs that I want you to sing at ..."

I HATED THAT! But at that church, his wife was the Worship Leader and she was in charge of the Praise Team... Can you imagine that? The Minister of Music has to go to the worship leader for the Praise Team affairs?

Talk about Backwards...

I hope I answered your question...

MrSparrow

Offline sjonathan02

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My heart

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2007, 11:11:43 AM »

The church I'm at now actually had a praise team when I took over... I sat them down and had some training classes/worship classes and those who were faithful to the classes that were already on the praise team remained, those who were not faithful to the classes were left off...

My Pastor is a hands off Pastor... (meaning he lets me do what I need to do without his say for every single subject/problem/etc...)

The church I was at before that the Pastor would give me a cd and tell me "these are the songs that I want you to sing at ..."

I HATED THAT! But at that church, his wife was the Worship Leader and she was in charge of the Praise Team... Can you imagine that? The Minister of Music has to go to the worship leader for the Praise Team affairs?

Talk about Backwards...

MrSparrow

If I wasn't me, and you weren't you, I'd say we were the same person after that story.  :-\
Despite our communication technology, no invention is as effective as the sound of the human voice.

Offline Rown

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2007, 11:37:04 AM »

Talk about Backwards...

MrSparrow
YES IT DID  ;D THANKS, BE BLESSED

Offline MrSparrow

• LGM Member

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2007, 11:09:30 AM »

If I wasn't me, and you weren't you, I'd say we were the same person after that story.  :-\

I'm sorry I just read this SJon,

I guess we're brothers from a different mother...

MrSparrow

Offline MauRece

• LGM Member
  • Rece

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2007, 11:57:46 PM »
At your church,how did you pick, who would be on the praise team.At my church,our pastor pick the praise team members.Nobody else had any input on it at all.Is this how it is normanly done? OKAY; NOW CHECK THIS OUT.The young lady, who went to him,about the ideal of getting one started,HE DID NOT PICK HER TO BE ON THE TEAM  >:( I guess he had his reasons,but when i say this young lady can sing,people the girl can GET DOWN.I guess i do not have to say,she is no longer a member at the CHURCH.

I'm sorry, but this is hilarious!!! It's the LAST part that has me falling out.
~May Your Best Day In 2006 Be Your WORSE Day In 2007~

Offline 2tight

• LGM Member

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2007, 11:17:20 AM »

I'm sorry, but this is hilarious!!! It's the LAST part that has me falling out.

Dang,that messed up.We just started a praise team a year ago.We pick who we wanted to be in the praise team.we have 7 people in the praise team.
Shannon moore

Offline Shaylene

• LGM Member
  • Shekinah Glory

« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2007, 08:34:34 PM »
I can relate to Rown on this one.  My pastor pretty much picks who sings and who doesn't sing on the praise team.
I am a true believer of giving people an opportunity but we are having such a hard time with people that cannot
harmonize or even start a song on the right key.  We strive to give God our best and it's difficult when we try and bring
new songs and cannot do it because of the lack of vocal abilities.   
Any ideas? Help!!!
The Bible: More up-to-date than tomorrow’s newspaper

Offline sjonathan02

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My heart

« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2007, 09:48:03 PM »
I can relate to Rown on this one.  My pastor pretty much picks who sings and who doesn't sing on the praise team.
I am a true believer of giving people an opportunity but we are having such a hard time with people that cannot
harmonize or even start a song on the right key.  We strive to give God our best and it's difficult when we try and bring
new songs and cannot do it because of the lack of vocal abilities.   
Any ideas? Help!!!

Find folks who CAN sing. There's really no other way around it. When we minister before God's people, there must be a level of excellence. I look at it like this; we don't let just ANYBODY go behind the pulpit and preach God's word. Then, why do we feel, as ministers of the Gospel through song, that we can let just ANYBODY be a part of the Praise Team, musicians, choir, dance ministry, media ministry, etc, etc.

Now, not only should they be able to carry a tune and harmonize, but they should be wroking on improving their walk with God, by whatever means necessary (corporate Bible study, cell group bible study, reading their word in the bathroom, etc). We are to lead by example. If we aren't trying to grow in God, what's the point of trying to get up before God's people?

Well folks, that's my time. You've been a great audience. Don't forget to tip the waiters and waitresses; I'll be here all week.  8)
Despite our communication technology, no invention is as effective as the sound of the human voice.

Offline MrSparrow

• LGM Member

« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2007, 09:47:34 AM »
If you don't have the people with the skills, bring people in with the skills and the ablity to teach on how to develop those skills.

Bring in a local music teacher/psalmist/voice coach and PAY them to develop your singers.

Churches these days have no excuse for anything when it comes to access to information.

Any church that needs a musician SHOULD be able to go to this website or www.gospelchops.com and buy some DVDs on how to teach people how to play.

Instead of expecting the same old same old, launch out in the internet and find people who can train and assist.

There's no need to reinvent the wheel...

MrSparrow

Offline sjonathan02

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My heart

« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2007, 07:32:25 PM »
If you don't have the people with the skills, bring people in with the skills and the ablity to teach on how to develop those skills.

Bring in a local music teacher/psalmist/voice coach and PAY them to develop your singers.

Churches these days have no excuse for anything when it comes to access to information.

Any church that needs a musician SHOULD be able to go to this website or www.gospelchops.com and buy some DVDs on how to teach people how to play.

Instead of expecting the same old same old, launch out in the internet and find people who can train and assist.

There's no need to reinvent the wheel...

MrSparrow

You mean provided the church can AFFORD these types of materials, right?  ;)

Offline nessalynn77

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
    • Inspirational Contemplation

« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2007, 11:57:04 AM »

You mean provided the church can AFFORD these types of materials, right?  ;)
That's the catch.

Offline sjonathan02

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My heart

« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2007, 12:06:03 PM »
That's the catch.

It always is. Then you've got guys like HammerRock talking about how tithing isn't necessary.  :-\

Offline princessofpraise

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Extravagant Worshipper!!
    • Anointed for Praise Ministries

« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2007, 09:29:42 PM »
When we first started our church 5 years ago, I actually led worship by myself for over 6 months, until we had enough in the congregation to start a praise team. At that time, if they could hold their part, I used them. As time went by and more people came in, I made everyone (even the original praise team members) go through auditions. We audtion for the choir and praise team now. Of course, the requirements for the choir are not as strict as the praise team. As long as they can hold their part, they can be a part of the choir. But the praise team requires not only being able to hold your part, but stage presence, and being able to blend with the other praise team members is important.

As far as character issues go, there are some things that I will work with when it comes to a choir member. (I will try to help them grow spiritually in an area) But the character of the praise team members must be above reproach. And everyone on stage must pay tithe, or they can't be a part.

In the beginning, you have to use what you have. But as you grow, you have to start setting higher standards. If you want to draw people that have higher standards, you must have a structure with higher standards.

I just recently sat down my keyboard player (who was very talented) because of her attitude, and we have a new keyboard player that loves God and his heart is right. I refuse to sacrifice character for talent.

Hope that helps you! Be blessed! ;D
Talent without character is called a "show".

Offline sjonathan02

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My heart

« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2007, 06:38:43 AM »
When we first started our church 5 years ago, I actually led worship by myself for over 6 months, until we had enough in the congregation to start a praise team. At that time, if they could hold their part, I used them. As time went by and more people came in, I made everyone (even the original praise team members) go through auditions. We audtion for the choir and praise team now. Of course, the requirements for the choir are not as strict as the praise team. As long as they can hold their part, they can be a part of the choir. But the praise team requires not only being able to hold your part, but stage presence, and being able to blend with the other praise team members is important.

As far as character issues go, there are some things that I will work with when it comes to a choir member. (I will try to help them grow spiritually in an area) But the character of the praise team members must be above reproach. And everyone on stage must pay tithe, or they can't be a part.

In the beginning, you have to use what you have. But as you grow, you have to start setting higher standards. If you want to draw people that have higher standards, you must have a structure with higher standards.

I just recently sat down my keyboard player (who was very talented) because of her attitude, and we have a new keyboard player that loves God and his heart is right. I refuse to sacrifice character for talent.

This is EXCELLENT!!!  ;D

Offline vtguy84

• LGM Member
    • Get Covered 4 Life

« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2007, 06:18:56 PM »

I am LOVING your posts! :)
www.GetCovered4Life.com (Mortgage Protection, Final Expense, Tax Free Retirement)

Offline princessofpraise

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Extravagant Worshipper!!
    • Anointed for Praise Ministries

« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2007, 09:28:49 PM »
Thanks!!! I am enjoying being a part of this forum! I'm so glad I got snowed in the other day - that's how I found you guys! I got bored and started searching the web!

This site has been a blessing to me!

;D :D ;) :)
Talent without character is called a "show".

Offline B3Wannabe

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2007, 09:47:01 PM »

Sweet! I like your post too, and that's what I'm trying to do here. Right now, we're in the "building" stage. Not many of our people can hold their notes, but I'm working with them. I do more unison songs, because their voices aren't that strong.
Pages: [1]   Go Up