LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Dose this happen to you?  (Read 1580 times)

Offline JLBMusic

• LGM Member

Dose this happen to you?
« on: November 05, 2006, 08:07:40 PM »
At my church I amd currently the Assistiant MOM and also the head musician.

Certian praise team leaders when they lead out have the habbit of directing the band.  As the head musician that is my responsibility.  I don't mind if they direct the band as well as the singers but they never ask to do that.  They just do it.  This creates a problem because we sometimes have conflicting ideas about what the band should do and also give conflicting directions.  One of our musicians is also a praise team leader and in band rehersals he oftens do not allow me to lead.  I am not one ot impose my will on anyone and I don't want to bring up my assistiant MOM position.

What should one do?

Offline vtguy84

• LGM Member
    • Get Covered 4 Life

Re: Dose this happen to you?
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2006, 08:13:16 PM »
Maybe I am a little bias, however I don't see this as a problem.  The praise team leader is the 'choir director' of the praise team.  I see no difference in the praise team leader calling shots the same as the choir director.  As a choir director, I make the call as to how many times a certain part loops, when to break the music, and to come back into a part if necessary.  I've always been told that the best musicians follow well.  I hope I answered your question correctly. :)
www.GetCovered4Life.com (Mortgage Protection, Final Expense, Tax Free Retirement)

Offline Mysteryman

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • The Jamaican breakfast patty created by me. :)
    • http://www.geocities.com/mysterymman1

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2006, 10:22:13 PM »
I know what he means I have no problem when directors lead the musicians but it does get aggrevating when praise leaders lead the band. Sometimes they feel the music because of the way Im playing. Im usually creating a certain mood and am anticipating when Im about to do this or that. I may be building the level of the music up. The praise leader hears this and cuts me before I get to the top. I dont play at that church anymore. :D I really like to be free at times in the music. Playing with a choir is different. Praise leader seem to get to deep sometimes.
Vision without action is just day dreaming. I miss practicing.

Offline ANOINTEDWOMAN

• LGM Member

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2006, 11:12:09 PM »
I agree. This just happened to me Sunday. Our praise team leader raises her hand and tells us to cut the song off. I wonder why she does that because it is so ghetto.  The church was packed Sunday, so we kept playing after she signaled for us to stop and the Spirit got crunked up higher and before we knew it, the pastor and the whole congregation were up on their feet shouting. So I believe this should not be done, and if it is, maybe you and the praise team leader can discuss it. I wonder how she would feel if I cut her song off? ?/?

Offline MinJDPeters

• LGM Member
    • Prophetic Flow Ministries & Entertainment

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2006, 03:43:30 PM »
I really don't see much of a problem either.  It just depends on how you're set up.

I'm the MOM as well as the lead musician.  When one of the praise leaders get up, they are in control.  The signal they give, is the signal I give to my musicians.  Sometimes, because we all know how to flow together, they will give me that look like "stop the song"?, and I'll shake my head and they'll make the signal, then I'll make it.  That comes with working together and knowing how to flow together.  We don't have one person leading every praise and worship song so I've had to learn how to flow with them all.

But whatever signal they give is the one I "throw up".

Now when we're doing songs that have no lead (the praise team that is), I do the signals or I let my assistant who sings on the PT do the signals.
Maestro

Offline ferrente

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • The Lord Can Do All Things!

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2006, 12:48:06 PM »
Welcome to LGM, JLBMusic
Trust in the Lord and do good so shalt thou dwell in the land and verily thou shalt be fed.

Offline ferrente

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • The Lord Can Do All Things!

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2006, 12:49:26 PM »
Welcome to LGM, ANOINTEDWOMAN

Trust in the Lord and do good so shalt thou dwell in the land and verily thou shalt be fed.

Offline MinAJ

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2006, 06:18:15 PM »
I really don't see much of a problem either.  It just depends on how you're set up.

I'm the MOM as well as the lead musician.  When one of the praise leaders get up, they are in control.  The signal they give, is the signal I give to my musicians.  Sometimes, because we all know how to flow together, they will give me that look like "stop the song"?, and I'll shake my head and they'll make the signal, then I'll make it.  That comes with working together and knowing how to flow together.  We don't have one person leading every praise and worship song so I've had to learn how to flow with them all.

Now when we're doing songs that have no lead (the praise team that is), I do the signals or I let my assistant who sings on the PT do the signals.

I agree with you MinJD.  You have to get to know your team.  It's just easier if the praise leader directs IF THEY CAN.  Not every praise leader can direct the music as well as the team.  My praise leader will just look at me a certain way.  Mysteriously I know exactly what she's going to do.  Another member of the PT who happens to be our choir director signals the muscian behind her back.  You just gotta know what to expect from the leaders.  You'll always clash if the music dept. wants to do it's own thing.  Talk it out with the team and maybe you can come to an understanding with who does what.  I agree with you though, don't throw your position up in their face.  Maybe just a subtle reminder ;)
Now unto him who is able...

Offline sjonathan02

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My heart

« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2006, 09:04:58 PM »

First, let me say that I agree with these statements. I wish musicians would gain a true understanding of their role during a worship service. When there are singers of ANY kind (praise leader, choir director, etc) the SINGERS are in charge of the flow of the song. Period.

Now, when the band is backing up the preacher, or playing during the prayer or whatever type of transition, they can flow how the HOLY GHOST would have them flow until the preacher, or whoever, tellls them to "take it down"

As it has been stated, there MUST be a level of communication that works for everyone involved in the music department. What I just described occurs at my church and it works well.

Find what will work for your church.  ;)

Be blessed, everybody.
Despite our communication technology, no invention is as effective as the sound of the human voice.

Offline MinAJ

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2006, 04:10:04 PM »
Amen

Offline Maestro87

• LGM Member
    • Facebook Profile

« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2007, 10:23:36 PM »
The singers lead the flow of the song while the band leads the emotion.  With African Americans in general, we like to remix songs and loop things around and drop the music and just flow with wherever the spirit leads.  As the band leader, he/she will follow the worship leader's signals to "take it out" loop it" drop the music" "accent percusiion hits" "or to end it.  The fun comes when the band still follows but has their own personal flare to the music.  For instance, I am Healed, repeats at the end with the "May have some scars...." section.  The band could choose to take the beat to walking bass line church mode and then back to the original harmonization but that is where the communication is key.
"Stay Fly, Stay Fresh, God Bless"
Dameron Growe

Offline 2tight

• LGM Member

« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2007, 01:39:03 PM »
The singers lead the flow of the song while the band leads the emotion.  With African Americans in general, we like to remix songs and loop things around and drop the music and just flow with wherever the spirit leads.  As the band leader, he/she will follow the worship leader's signals to "take it out" loop it" drop the music" "accent percusiion hits" "or to end it.  The fun comes when the band still follows but has their own personal flare to the music.  For instance, I am Healed, repeats at the end with the "May have some scars...." section.  The band could choose to take the beat to walking bass line church mode and then back to the original harmonization but that is where the communication is key.

I agree with u.
Shannon moore

Offline MrSparrow

• LGM Member

« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2007, 10:59:32 AM »
Bring this conflict of miscommunication to your M.o.M and seek his/her answer to the problem.

I serve as the M.o.M./Worship Leader (whether I lead the songs or not) and Music Director, as I bring along the talents and pull on the calling of my praise team members, I will let them flow as the worship leader instead of a lead singer.

If you have lead singers who can flow as the "Worship Leader" effectively, then follow the leader. If they are making a big scene to get what they want to hear heard and you feel like you're being disrespected/embarassed then definitely establish who is in charge and act accordingly.

I personally HATE when visiting preachers who don't bring their musician with them are too busy telling you how to back them up then preach...

NOW THAT IS OVER THE LINE!

I had this dude come from Jakes church in Dallas, didn't come to me, didn't speak to me at the beginning of his sermon, he has his style and it's a lot different from what I was used to. Anyhow, the dude put me on blast so bad, I wanted to get off and say "here you play and preach at the same time" but I kept myself humble.

I thought the dude would come up to me later after the service and say SOMETHING... but I guess he was too busy in the V.I.P. section with the Pastor...

MrSparrow

Offline MinAJ

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2007, 06:15:21 PM »
Bring this conflict of miscommunication to your M.o.M and seek his/her answer to the problem.

I serve as the M.o.M./Worship Leader (whether I lead the songs or not) and Music Director, as I bring along the talents and pull on the calling of my praise team members, I will let them flow as the worship leader instead of a lead singer.

If you have lead singers who can flow as the "Worship Leader" effectively, then follow the leader. If they are making a big scene to get what they want to hear heard and you feel like you're being disrespected/embarassed then definitely establish who is in charge and act accordingly.

I personally HATE when visiting preachers who don't bring their musician with them are too busy telling you how to back them up then preach...

NOW THAT IS OVER THE LINE!

I had this dude come from Jakes church in Dallas, didn't come to me, didn't speak to me at the beginning of his sermon, he has his style and it's a lot different from what I was used to. Anyhow, the dude put me on blast so bad, I wanted to get off and say "here you play and preach at the same time" but I kept myself humble.

I thought the dude would come up to me later after the service and say SOMETHING... but I guess he was too busy in the V.I.P. section with the Pastor...

MrSparrow

I'm glad you kept your cool man.  That showed a lot of maturity on your part.
Pages: [1]   Go Up