LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: music ministry question and HELP!!!!  (Read 1319 times)

rayrock

music ministry question and HELP!!!!
« on: January 18, 2007, 03:41:22 PM »
Greeting fellow learn gospel music readers. This is my first post, so here we go. Our church is in its 5th year of recovering from 32 years of one pastor's leadership. Now when I say 32 years of one pastor's leadership I mean just that. His way or no way. Our new pastor is in his 5th year and has done a great job trying to break through "DEEP TRADITION".

The only thing that holding us back is the music ministry. We are one step away from a "breakthrough". The director of music refuses to do what the pastor requests. Instead the director of music listens to the "SENIOR DEACON" for her instructions. The pastor has asked to sing two songs before the message and they won't do it. He has asked them to "not" play certain songs during the offering and they continue to play the songs. We he request a song during church its takes them forever to begin to play it. It’s quite embarrassing. We are constantly repeating the same songs over and over and over and over.....and over and over and over!! It is to the point now that choir members don't come to rehearsal because guess what.....they know what they are singing. The mentality now is....its nothing new and I sung the song before so why waist my time coming to rehearsal.

The director of music is sadly to say, playing strictly for the money. The director of music doesn’t plan and don't consult the pastor to find out what he ispreaching about on Sunday or anything. The pastor tries to let those who are hired to do a job to simply do their job. Basically, our director of music is not a director of music, she is strictly an accompanist.

The young man that directs the choirs doing worship service is a definably a leader and the leader we need but they exclude him from the song selection process. He never knows what the choirs are singing until the night of rehearsal. Even when the musician’s changes song during worship he is not aware of it until they start playing. Thank God that He has the spirit and God's gift to adjust and as they say 'handle his business. Honestly he needs to be our director of music or at least select the songs for the choir. He has charisma and the sprit of God in him but the deacons know and everybody else know that if becomes director of music, one, he is going to obey the pastor and follow his leadership and two he is going to take the music ministry to greater heights. The older members don't want the pastor to succeed and if the music department is failing, it’s a reflection on him. You can feel that the church is waiting on a change...we are that close.

I know somebody can understand what I'm talking about. The pastor feels that he doesn't have the support from the deacons to make a change in the music department. But the Deacons won't deal with the problem. The church has events the musicians won't show up. Choirs have to go off and sing, the musicians don't want to go. You can’t grow that way.

I know God has his time for everything and we must wait on him. Maybe someone can share any advice or other experiences that have had to deal with a matter such a this.

Thank you for reading. My next post will be much shorter.
 :)

uniquepraise

Re: Music Ministry Question and HELP!!!
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2007, 03:46:00 PM »
The only thing I suggest is some heavy praying.  You have people that are in open disobedience and rebellion to leadership.  They have gone against the leader of the house and GOD will deal with that accordingly.

Offline nessalynn77

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
    • Inspirational Contemplation

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2007, 03:49:25 PM »
Welcome, Rayrock!

The situation you described is certainly a tough predicament for all involved.  Unfortunately, there's not much you as a member can do about it, except be very prayerful and positive around those in your circle of influence.  There is probably a lot of politicking for one side or the other, and that kind of stuff spreads like wildfire in a congregation.  

I pray that God gives you the strength to hold on and trust him to guide you in your actions, and that he works on all sides of the situation to bring peace and success to your church.  

rayrock

music ministry question and HELP!!!!
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2007, 03:49:49 PM »
I'm sorry but i posted this to the wrong forum.

Greeting fellow learn gospel music readers. This is my first post, so here we go. Our church is in its 5th year of recovering from 32 years of one pastor's leadership. Now when I say 32 years of one pastor's leadership I mean just that. His way or no way. Our new pastor is in his 5th year and has done a great job trying to break through "DEEP TRADITION".

The only thing that holding us back is the music ministry. We are one step away from a "breakthrough". The director of music refuses to do what the pastor requests. Instead the director of music listens to the "SENIOR DEACON" for her instructions. The pastor has asked to sing two songs before the message and they won't do it. He has asked them to "not" play certain songs during the offering and they continue to play the songs. We he request a song during church its takes them forever to begin to play it. It’s quite embarrassing. We are constantly repeating the same songs over and over and over and over.....and over and over and over!! It is to the point now that choir members don't come to rehearsal because guess what.....they know what they are singing. The mentality now is....its nothing new and I sung the song before so why waist my time coming to rehearsal.

The director of music is sadly to say, playing strictly for the money. The director of music doesn’t plan and don't consult the pastor to find out what he ispreaching about on Sunday or anything. The pastor tries to let those who are hired to do a job to simply do their job. Basically, our director of music is not a director of music, she is strictly an accompanist.

The young man that directs the choirs doing worship service is a definably a leader and the leader we need but they exclude him from the song selection process. He never knows what the choirs are singing until the night of rehearsal. Even when the musician’s changes song during worship he is not aware of it until they start playing. Thank God that He has the spirit and God's gift to adjust and as they say 'handle his business. Honestly he needs to be our director of music or at least select the songs for the choir. He has charisma and the sprit of God in him but the deacons know and everybody else know that if becomes director of music, one, he is going to obey the pastor and follow his leadership and two he is going to take the music ministry to greater heights. The older members don't want the pastor to succeed and if the music department is failing, it’s a reflection on him. You can feel that the church is waiting on a change...we are that close.

I know somebody can understand what I'm talking about. The pastor feels that he doesn't have the support from the deacons to make a change in the music department. But the Deacons won't deal with the problem. The church has events the musicians won't show up. Choirs have to go off and sing, the musicians don't want to go. You can’t grow that way.

I know God has his time for everything and we must wait on him. Maybe someone can share any advice or other experiences that have had to deal with a matter such a this.

Thank you for reading. My next post will be much shorter.

iamworship2006

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2007, 03:51:35 PM »
All I can do is say a prayer:

Father because you are a God of order my prayer is that order be set in the house. Whatever and whoever is out of order, I pray that your Holy spirit would quicken them to line up with the vision of the man/woman of God you have placed for this season. I pray for strength and understanding is you set the order for your house. God let every leader line up 1st with you and then with the overseer of the flock. Purge renew and equip yourpeople for kingdom work in your name, Amen

Offline blessedhands80

• LGM Member
  • Kailyn Rose 9-4-07...MY BUNDLE OF JOY..

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2007, 03:58:36 PM »
Rayrock, I strongly agree with Unique and Ness...much prayer, much power. This is pure cut unadulterated disrespect. They should have more respect for their leadership. If i was the Pastor....only if i was the Pastor...

Stay Prayed Up....Brutha

Be Blessed
My moms space...still under construction...stay tuned...
http://www.myspace.com/golden_designs

Offline MrSparrow

• LGM Member

Re: music ministry question and HELP!!!!
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2007, 04:55:33 PM »
It sounds to me that your Pastor has to put his foot down and straight up FIRE folks.

In 5 weeks, problems you mentioned should have already been corrected. Definately in 5 months it should have been corrected but since you said it's FIVE YEARS... MY GAWD! I have to honestly wonder aloud if he thinks he can do anything about it...

Oil flows down not up...

I'll keep you in my prayers,

MrSparrow

Offline musicman205

• LGM Member
  • The Minister, Psalmist, and Musician

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2007, 05:05:03 PM »
People need to under stand their positions. It it the pastor's duty to put in order the plan and vision for the church. If your director of music isn't following the pastor's vision and requests then its time for a new director of music. Furthermore DEACONS DO NOT RUN THE CHURCH. DEACONS HAVE NO AUTHORITY OVER THE PASTOR! DEACONS ASSIST THE PASTOR AND TRUSTEES HANDLE FINANCES. THE PASTOR IS THE SHEPHERD OF THE CHURCH!!
To God be the Glory!!!

Offline saxandkeys

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • "You ain't gotta go nowhere...I gotchu!"

« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2007, 08:40:42 AM »
Let me prefix this by saying ....if you get your feelings hurt easily, or if you can't deal with conflict....DON'T DO THIS!

....but, if it were me.....I would first go to the pastor and inform him that I will be voicing my opinion at the next choir meeting, then before the meeting I would inform the choir president and the dierector of the same.....

THEN I WOULD SPEAK MY MIND!
I'd rather be imperfectly inspired, than to be perfectly entertained...

Offline sjonathan02

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My heart

« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2007, 11:06:09 AM »
Let me prefix this by saying ....if you get your feelings hurt easily, or if you can't deal with conflict....DON'T DO THIS!

....but, if it were me.....I would first go to the pastor and inform him that I will be voicing my opinion at the next choir meeting, then before the meeting I would inform the choir president and the dierector of the same.....

THEN I WOULD SPEAK MY MIND!

Exactly. This is a straight-up mess and it has to be stopped.
Despite our communication technology, no invention is as effective as the sound of the human voice.

Offline Agape

• LGM Member
  • Outside The Box!
    • Agape Music Productions

« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2007, 11:49:27 AM »
Just out of curiousity, what denomination is this church?

Also, the Pastor has complete control, all he has to do is put God's word into action, especially during the sermon. Its really time out for these "comfortable" churches and its members. We need to reach a higher dimension in The Kingdom! We cant do it if we keep acting like this.

Basically, the pastor needs to do a sermon and just throw pure brimstones at these people. Kill lies with Truth (The Infallable Word of God). And if these comfortable members dont like it......theres the door. Jesus is coming pretty soon, and if we dont have our stuff together.....Lord please have mercy on us. Tell your pastor to gird himself up with the Word of God and take action. But operate in nothing less than love. That will def. fix your problem at your church. Speak Life, not only life but speak and shine Light as well. When Light shine, the roaches will scatter. Sad.....but true, and hey....the Truth(Word of God) prevails over all, so which would you have?

You guys be blessed!!!!
Open-mindedness is the way to go!

Offline Maestro87

• LGM Member
    • Facebook Profile

« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2007, 05:25:22 PM »
It sounds to me that your Pastor has to put his foot down and straight up FIRE folks....

MrSparrow

PRAY PRAY PRAY!  That is all you can do in this situation and take it to the head shepherd.  Until the Pastor puts his foot, hand, head, and law down things will never change.
"Stay Fly, Stay Fresh, God Bless"
Dameron Growe

Offline sjonathan02

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My heart

« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2007, 09:48:55 AM »
Just out of curiousity, what denomination is this church?

Not at all relevant.  :-\
Despite our communication technology, no invention is as effective as the sound of the human voice.

Offline nessalynn77

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
    • Inspirational Contemplation

« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2007, 12:56:14 AM »

That's what I was thinking.

Offline Agape

• LGM Member
  • Outside The Box!
    • Agape Music Productions

« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2007, 03:22:54 PM »

True. But I was just curious. It wasnt like it was going to change the situation, especially the outcome. Only God knows that anyway.

"WINE IS STRONG, A KING IS STRONGER, WOMEN ARE EVEN STRONGER, BUT TRUTH CONQUERS ALL"

But different denominations go by different doctrines (some of which arent the Truth) which affect the attitude of the "members" of a particular church. Some churches treat The Bible as an all you can eat buffet, picking and choosing word to stand and live on. I do apologize if I offended anyone with that question. I just wanted to know if this guy's church was bitten with that "religious" spirit. Doesnt really make a difference though. Take care and God Bless!
Open-mindedness is the way to go!

Offline vittles

• LGM Member

« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2007, 08:00:15 PM »
I know that I may be late to lend some support but at least you are being heard.  What you are talking about has gone on for so long and will continue to go on until the saints stop playing church.  May be it is time for the pastor to sit the choir and musicians down and begin with the young director to teach what the music is all about.  Change is good once there is preparation.  It seems to me that God has begun with your pastor in preparing the people for change.  Yes, the hardest people to change are the ones who think they are in charge.  Being under someone who felt hs way was the only way and being paranoid about anyone else who may seem to be doing the same is hard, so if your pastor takes the guidance of God in doing the what will be the best for the congregation.  Continue in prayer, God Bless.
Pages: [1]   Go Up