LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Audition Tips  (Read 5123 times)

blaquegenius

Audition Tips
« on: January 11, 2007, 02:53:56 PM »
Just a lil something I came across, felt it might be helpful to everyone on here.

Audition Tips
Increase your chances of winning a band audition.

Tip 1 – Learn as much as you can about the band
How long have they been together? Do they focus on originals or covers or both? Is bringing in a new musician going to change their direction? Where will the rehearsal space be? How often will practices be? Is their intention to be in-studio soon? Will travel be involved if you get into this band? What bands were the members with before they joined this one? Even see them play live if you can.

Tip 2 – Find out ahead of time what you will be expected to play
This one goes along with Tip #1. If joining a particular band is important enough to you, it will be worth your while to practice a song (or songs) so that you can really nail it on audition day.

Tip 3 – Find out ahead of time if you should bring any specific equipment
I remember joining a Rush tribute band years ago. They asked me on the phone if I had a volume pedal and if I knew the beginning to Xanadu. They hadn’t yet asked me to audition, until I said yes to those to questions. Later, they said, “Anyone who expects to play Rush in a tribute band had better have a volume pedal.” I’m sure that’s what got me the gig.

Tip 4 – Decide if you really want this gig
Just how important is it to you to nail this audition? Or is it just a fun thing to do on Thursday night? If it’s important to you enough, you will be motivated to do what it takes to impress the band and have a shining audition.

Tip 5 – Learn as much as you can about the musician you’re replacing
Is this band position a new one? Or, will you be replacing someone else? What was that person like? Why is he no longer with the band? Did they just not get along? Was it a performance issue? Get an edge on your competition for the part by knowing as much as you can about what the band liked and didn’t like about the person before you.

Tip 6 – Show up a minimum of 20 minutes early, depending on instrument type
You may need setup time, of course, but you also want to have time before your audition to meet everyone. Show up late or keep the band waiting while you’re setting up and you will leave a bad first impression before playing your first note.

Tip 7 – Allow for chemistry to work
Focus on meeting every member of the band, and getting to know them as much as you can in the time you’re given. When you’re on stage, play with the group rather than playing like you have a stereo in the background.

Tip 8 – Don’t apologize for mistakes
Typically, a band will be okay with your making mistakes because they know you’ll be able to play their songs better with a couple of rehearsals. Many of the mistakes you will make will only be recognizable by you! You will always be your worst critic. Others will often see your mistakes as simply adding “your own thing” to a song. So, never draw attention to mistakes when you make them.

Tip 9 – Mix
Be very careful not to play too loud or too soft. Adjust your volume as you go so that your instrument is blending well with the rest of the group. After all, that’s really what they’re looking for anyway…someone to be part of a cohesive group.

Tip 10 – Be flexible
Sometimes a bandleader will stop a song in the middle of an audition and change a part. “This time, how about if we make a change and play it this way?” he might ask. The reason this is done is to see how accommodating you can be to the wishes of the band and doing things differently.

Tip 11 – Look the Part
If you’re auditioning for a metal band, dress appropriately. If you’re auditioning for a symphony, dressing like you should be in a metal band probably isn’t the best suggestion. If you’re auditioning to be the front-person for a band, make sure to smile like you are having fun! Bands ask you to audition in-person because they want to hear you play, but
they also want to see if your look will be a good fit for their image. Dress the part.

Tip 12 – If you’re asked back for a second audition, wear the same clothing
If you’re asked back for a second round, chances are good that some additional people might be showing up to watch you play. Part of the reason you’re asked back is because of what you can play, but also for how you look. Wear the same thing you wore to the last audition. Whatever it was, it worked before. It will work for you again.

Tip 13 – Be careful what you practice when warming-up
Sometimes you might be the only person auditioning for a band spot. Other times, the band may schedule a dozen players to show-up on a given date and time. Be prepared that you may have to jump right into the situation without warming up. Or, you could be waiting an hour or more for your shot.
If you get the opportunity to warm-up in a separate room, keep in mind that people will hear you. The possibility exists that your audition could be judged on what you sound like when warming-up. If I remember right, that’s exactly what happened with Randy Rhodes. He was practicing in the hallway and Ozzy hired him based on what he heard during Randy’s warm-up.

Tip 14 – Be energetic and happy
No one likes to hang around people who are angry all time. Be cheerful and excited to be auditioning. Be “like-able.” Even if you don’t have the song totally nailed-down yet that the band asks you to play, they’ll likely ask you back if they like you. Conversely, you could have the worlds greatest chops and not be asked back and wonder why. I’ve heard musicians tell me they didn’t get the gig because they were “too good.” It’s probably more safe to say that they just didn’t like you. Personality goes a long way in the music
business.

Tip 15 – Allow the band time to talk about you
Sometimes the band will make their decision based off of one song you play. Others will have you play 4 or 5 songs together to allow you to get over the nervousness period.  They may just ask you to leave by saying, “we’ll get back to you.” This is okay. Simply thank them for the opportunity and leave. If you are what they’re looking for, they will call you.

JFunky

Re: Audition Tips
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2007, 04:54:04 PM »
...excellent!!!

...I went to a clinic that was held by Mr. Pat Patrillo (Drummers Collective Staff/Patti lLaBelle's ol' drummer) and he told us how he got in with Mrs. Patti.  Then he stated the above.

Offline fretai03

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My Fatso
    • My Youth

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2007, 01:34:14 PM »
Thanks. This is some great info.

Offline SabianKnight

• LGM Member
  • Art by C1... Thanx Bruh!

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2007, 07:54:16 AM »
Great info!
Try not to become a person of success but rather a person of VALUE. - T. Harv Eker

Offline eugenio

• LGM Member

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2007, 12:40:43 PM »
thanks man

Offline 2tight

• LGM Member

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2007, 02:19:44 PM »
Great info
Shannon moore

Offline dude-on-drums

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • www.kevinhayden.net
    • Kevin Hayden

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2007, 09:19:38 PM »
good stuff man!

blaquegenius

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2007, 05:12:08 PM »
Glad the levites enjoyed the info...just trying to do my part to encourage and impart....

All ya'll are Drum Stars to me!!!!!!
Pages: [1]   Go Up