LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Yamaha RC 9000  (Read 2107 times)

Offline 28MILTONS

• LGM Member

Yamaha RC 9000
« on: January 23, 2007, 07:26:50 PM »
I recently switched from Yamaha's Maple Customs to their Recording Customs and I'm  V E R Y pleased with the results!
Anyone else here on the board has any expierience with these drums, and any suggestions regarding drumhead selection.
Thanks and God Bless.

JFunky

Re: Yamaha RC 9000
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2007, 07:55:36 PM »
...first of all, why did you switch out the Maple Customs ?/?  What sizes did you have in those?  What sizes are you using with the Recording Customs?

...okay so the Recording Customs sound great.  You can throw some Remo Clear Emperors on batter side with Clear Ambassadors as Resos.  You can also use Clear Evans G2's on Batters with Clear G1 Resos.  If you want an open jazzy sound, the Remo Coated Ambassadors on batters with Clear Ambassadors as Resos. will do the trick.  This was the head choice of Vinnie C. back in the day and Steve Holmes now a days.  It all depends on what your ears tell you though.

Offline 28MILTONS

• LGM Member

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2007, 08:27:38 PM »
...first of all, why did you switch out the Maple Customs ?/?  What sizes did you have in those?  What sizes are you using with the Recording Customs?

...okay so the Recording Customs sound great.  You can throw some Remo Clear Emperors on batter side with Clear Ambassadors as Resos.  You can also use Clear Evans G2's on Batters with Clear G1 Resos.  If you want an open jazzy sound, the Remo Coated Ambassadors on batters with Clear Ambassadors as Resos. will do the trick.  This was the head choice of Vinnie C. back in the day and Steve Holmes now a days.  It all depends on what your ears tell you though.
I was looking for a more 'brutal', in your face sound, as oppose to the sweet sounding Maple drums. What I found were musical sounding drums with WAY more high and low tones, which I'm very happy with. My maple were 20', 10', 13', 16' and now I'm playing 22', 10 powertom and a 14 floortom.

JFunky

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2007, 08:39:45 PM »
...cool.  I personally like the R.C. Custom sizes 10.5, 12x8, 14x11, 15x13 with the 22x16 kick.  Congrats. on your new purchase.

soul_pocket

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2007, 10:12:39 PM »
...cool.  I personally like the R.C. Custom sizes 10.5, 12x8, 14x11, 15x13 with the 22x16 kick.  Congrats. on your new purchase.

Hey that's the set I play at my church.....Yamaha Recording Custom with the exact same sizes you mentioned.....it's all black too......I don't really like it.....I know it's a good drumset but it's just not my sound...I like warmer sounding toms......maple or mahogany....Birch isn't my thing....if I could trade it for a maple one I would.....has anyone else played on a Yamaha Recording Custom set???

Offline SabianKnight

• LGM Member
  • Art by C1... Thanx Bruh!

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2007, 12:47:28 PM »
The Yamaha recording Customs and the Birch Absolutes are the same shells so if you have played the Birch Absolutes then you have played the Recording Customs. The RCs have the myth that goes with them though that is ominous to say the least. folk see RC ad immediatley give respect.

I think the Oak Customs will soon have the same kind of response. Dave Weckl has been touring with these for like 2-3 years and they totally embody the Weckl sound (with his tuning). they sound amazing with Akira Jimbo and Sonny Emory's  sound great on his clinic tour from what I heard.

Personally I am a 2-ply coated guy as far as heads go because I like a round/full sound... Gadd has gone to that in the last 2-3 years with the coated Emporers. Ii personally like the EVANS G2s
Try not to become a person of success but rather a person of VALUE. - T. Harv Eker

soul_pocket

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2007, 04:38:00 PM »
Hey Sabe what head combo do you recommend for the RC....Right now the RC at my church has Evans G1's on the Resonant side and Pinstripes on the batter side....I dunno about that combo....they were put on by this other drummer at my church....he used to be the main drummer but he left so now I want to change the heads.....I want a more open sound....help me out..please...GB

Offline buzz95

• LGM Member
  • What company will BBD go to next? Stay tuned.

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2007, 09:20:37 PM »
Personally I am a 2-ply coated guy as far as heads go because I like a round/full sound... Gadd has gone to that in the last 2-3 years with the coated Emperors. I personally like the EVANS G2s

There you go, soul_pocket.
"I paid nothing, I got mine for free!!!!!" - bigblackdrummer on big up-in' his cheap endorsements.

soul_pocket

« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2007, 12:05:00 PM »
I don't want to get coated heads for the R.C. I'm thinking Remo Clear Emperors for the toms. Should I just leave the Evans Clear G1 heads on the bottom or should I change them to omething else??? What do you think???

Offline buzz95

• LGM Member
  • What company will BBD go to next? Stay tuned.

« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2007, 12:23:00 PM »
As long as the resonant heads are not old, I don't see anything wrong with that coupling of heads.  If you want to be consistent with the branding, get the Ambassadors for the resonant side. 

Let us know how it turns out for you! 
"I paid nothing, I got mine for free!!!!!" - bigblackdrummer on big up-in' his cheap endorsements.
Pages: [1]   Go Up