LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: What You Would've Done!?!  (Read 563 times)

Offline ojay16

• LGM Member

What You Would've Done!?!
« on: January 26, 2007, 01:05:54 AM »
After reading one forum topic in particular in which there was a discussion about being original rather than just imitating a particular drummer's style..... I began to think of different albums that I've listened to as of late and I wondered how would I have played on those albums if I was the original groovesman chosen to play for such recordings.....one that really came to mind was of course Victory Live.....so i put this question out to you LGM....if you were the groovesman or woman that was asked to play for that record how do you think you would have approached the music? What do you think you would have done differently in comparison to what Spanky played?

Offline buzz95

• LGM Member
  • What company will BBD go to next? Stay tuned.

Re: What You Would've Done!?!
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2007, 05:54:03 AM »
This is a great topic, however, I can't expound on your album example - I've never heard it (before).
"I paid nothing, I got mine for free!!!!!" - bigblackdrummer on big up-in' his cheap endorsements.

Offline Hotsticks1

• LGM Member
  • Welcome to my world...
    • Myspace

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2007, 01:40:23 PM »
Spanky is truely a great and original drummer and every real drummer has to give him his props for what he did on the album. But I dont know, personaly I would've have just played the songs and rather than hearing Spanky's flavor, you would have heard mine. I'd have just put the licks I most often use in different places...I think his playing style along with Tye's music go pretty much hand and hand, so I dont think too many drummers out there could have done a better job.
"If thine enemy wrong thee...Buy each of his children a drum"

Offline BigFoot_BigThumb

• LGM Member
  • The Waves SSL 4000 plug-ins. The greatest EVER!!!

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2007, 10:17:39 PM »
I've had the opportunity to do my "thang" on a couple of recordings.  My approach was to listen to the groove of the music "beat free" and vibe on it.  The artists/producers basically let me groove.  I asked then if what I did was cool.  They told me I gave them exactly what they wanted.  One song I nailed in one take.  Another song, we did about 8 takes and chose the third one because we just straight grooved on it sight unseen.

I guess it really depends on what the writer or producer wants or will allow you to do. Always find out what they want before you do anything.  If they tell you to do what you feel, go for it.  If not, make em happy.  It can make the difference in how much future work you get.     
When you've done your very best, do even better.
Pages: [1]   Go Up