LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Progression Principles?  (Read 1053 times)

Offline zacke12

• LGM Member
  • I AM PRICELESS...NOT WORTHLESS

Progression Principles?
« on: February 02, 2007, 10:16:31 AM »
I am aware of the different variations of chords when playing chords such as 7-3-6-2-1 or others but my problem is that I fall in the trap of using the same exact chords all the time.

For example if two songs have the same progressions I play the same exact chords for them. I was wondering could someone give me a principle that I could follow as it relates to seeing what chords I could play with each bass note when doing a progression of any sort. Thanks

Oh yeah T-block man I have learned more from your post than I could have probably ever learned just watching someone...I am learning the rules and regulations of playing and I will take knowing that over quickly remembering "phat" chords any day. Thanks.
GOD IS EVERYWHERE...EVEN HERE!!!

Offline 4hisglory

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
    • Learn Gospel Musiic

Re: Progression Principles?
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2007, 10:17:58 AM »
Post a progression u use and I will should you how to vary it up.
:)

Offline T-Block

• LGM Member
  • I got my MBA!!!

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2007, 10:56:42 AM »
That is exactly what this thread is all about:  http://www.learngospelmusic.com/forums/index.php/topic,31163.0.html

Find the bass note you want, and there should be a list of different chords that go with each bass note.  Remember, this list is just the chords that I use, its not the only chords that you can play.  Try experimenting with different inversions of the chords you already play.  Sometimes, that can make a world a difference.
Real musicians play in every key!!!
Music Theory, da numbers work!

Offline zacke12

• LGM Member
  • I AM PRICELESS...NOT WORTHLESS

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2007, 11:37:26 AM »
Thanks man...I came across this post right after I entered my post...it is really helpful thanks.
GOD IS EVERYWHERE...EVEN HERE!!!

Offline B3Wannabe

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2007, 06:31:16 PM »
The thing I learned, this year, is that there are more voicing possibilities with quartal chords. The thing I think, that makes a difference, is that the notes are spread apart, in 5ths (4ths depending how you look at it). This means that usually two of those notes will belong in the key, or go with the chord you're playing.

The way I add it, is to take the topmost note, of a chord that I'd normally play, and add notes (2 or more) a 4th below it.
Pages: [1]   Go Up