LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Zildjian???? What Happened To Tradition?  (Read 1774 times)

saldrums

Zildjian???? What Happened To Tradition?
« on: February 04, 2007, 11:10:03 AM »
Hey Fam.....

I was recently browsing thru Ebay for some Zildjian classic cymbals (i.e. Brilliant Earth Rides, Paper Thin Crashes,etc...) when suddenly I saw something that kinda made me wonder about Zildjian's cymbal philosophy of today.

There was a set of mis-matched A Quick Beat Hi-Hat (Top) and K Custom bottom (these had to be made somewhere between early eighties and late 80s. The K bottom looked like authentic Hand Hammering, which can be compared to the Sabian HH Leopard series. When I look at todays line of Zildjians, there is no cymbals that are made like that. Word on the street is that they dont even make The new K Dark Crashes in Brilliant finishes anymore. I dont know if this is true or not.....

As i stated before, you cannot find that type of hammerring in Zildjians today. Seems likes Sabian, Paiste(yes, even PAISTE) have took what Zildjian created and ran off with it. I also remember reading that most of Zildjian's cymbal are machine hammered because a machine hammering is heavier than a mans hand, therefore resulting in consistensy in sounds.

What do yall think?

Offline buzz95

• LGM Member
  • What company will BBD go to next? Stay tuned.

Re: Zildjian???? What Happened To Tradition?
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2007, 02:34:42 PM »
Truthfully, they haven't 'hand hammered' their Ks for quite some time - it's the marketing that had ya fooled.   ;D
"I paid nothing, I got mine for free!!!!!" - bigblackdrummer on big up-in' his cheap endorsements.

JFunky

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2007, 08:17:35 AM »
...well yes, Zildjian does machine hammer their cymbals.  Very traditional, huh?  Mr. Robert Zildjian's company on the other hand (SABIAN) is using tradition to make their cymbals and are also using it to be innovative. As we all can tell, their cymbals are very consistent within the lines and sizes.  Zildjian is constently trying to improve their cymbals and what they end up doing is messing up something that doesn't have to be improved.  For example, I've heard many drummers complain about the new "K" line not being the same because of the "Machine Hammering" and the new A Custom line not being the same as well.  Many of those guys are now using Sabian Hand Hammered series cymbals and or AAX line of cymbals.

Eccentric-Rhythm

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2007, 11:52:26 AM »
To be honest about it...I am sick of both brands.

Long Live

MEINL

Offline bigblackdrummer

• LGM Member
  • Curtis Cyril Bernard
    • http://www.myspace.com/phatcurtisbernard

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2007, 11:59:47 AM »
its all about the dollar now man! Even Hand Hammered isn't fully Hand Hammered!
Mapex Drums, Grant Custom Basses, Carparelli Basses, Istanbul Cymbals,!

Offline buzz95

• LGM Member

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2007, 12:40:43 PM »
To be honest about it...I am sick of both brands.

Long Live

MEINL

...and then once a lot of people play Meinl ('cuz, that's their goal, eventually), then you'll be sick of them too...   ;D
"I paid nothing, I got mine for free!!!!!" - bigblackdrummer on big up-in' his cheap endorsements.

Offline buzz95

• LGM Member

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2007, 12:42:09 PM »
Even Hand Hammered isn't fully Hand Hammered!

This is true, dude.   This is true... 

Eccentric-Rhythm

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2007, 12:46:51 PM »
...and then once a lot of people play Meinl ('cuz, that's their goal, eventually), then you'll be sick of them too...   ;D

True, and Lord willing by then, I will have made my own.

Offline buzz95

• LGM Member

« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2007, 01:00:03 PM »
LOL!!!  You getting the small peen or large peen hammers? 

Eccentric-Rhythm

« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2007, 01:10:34 PM »
LOL!!!  You getting the small peen or large peen hammers? 

Neither. I will go with a sledgehammer. my smallest diameter will be a 28 incher! haha.

saldrums

« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2007, 07:37:50 PM »
im thinking about writing Zildjian to address this problem.....i love Zildjian, but if they keep this up, i think ill be playing SABIAN or pAiSte

Offline buzz95

• LGM Member

« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2007, 07:57:52 PM »
...like they're going to listen to you.  Good luck! 

They didn't listen to Dave Weckl or the others that have switched from Zildjian to Sabian and other companies.  :) 

Offline juSe

• LGM Member
  • Call me juSe Wayne

« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2007, 10:40:44 PM »
im thinking about writing Zildjian to address this problem.....i love Zildjian, but if they keep this up, i think ill be playing SABIAN or pAiSte

Don't waist the ink homie.  They're gonna snicker and toss your letter in the trash.  That, or they'll "accidentally hit the delete button on your email.

All jokes aside, Sabian is lookin mighty nice.  I know thats a bad word coming from a cat that plays ALL K's but...  :-\
You Are Your Only Limitation!!

JFunky

« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2007, 10:44:50 PM »
...this is 2007 fellas and ladies.  Sabian, Meinl and Paiste are the Contemporary Drummers real choice of cymbals.  Zildjian is so 20th Century. ;D

Eccentric-Rhythm

« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2007, 06:59:32 AM »
...this is 2007 fellas and ladies.  Sabian, Meinl and Paiste are the Contemporary Drummers real choice of cymbals.  Zildjian is so 20th Century. ;D

;D ;D ;D 8)
Pages: [1]   Go Up