LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Tuning help!!  (Read 785 times)

Offline yamahaboy

• LGM Member
  • I Love Jewels!!

Tuning help!!
« on: February 05, 2007, 06:25:40 PM »
I just bought the Yamaha Musashi not too long ago and i cant get it to stop buzzing when i tune it up a little bit. It only happens when i hit the 10 inch rack tom so im confused because i have tried everything. Help me because i need a few suggestions.
Richard

Offline buzz95

• LGM Member
  • What company will BBD go to next? Stay tuned.

Re: Tuning help!!
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2007, 08:00:17 PM »
You're experiencing sympathetic vibration.  The tuning of your 10" tom and your Musashi are relatively close, if not exact.  What you could do it tune your 'Sashi lower or higher.  You could also elect to tune the 10" higher or lower, just in case you would want to keep the tension of the 'Sashi at its current state. 

Happy drumming. 
"I paid nothing, I got mine for free!!!!!" - bigblackdrummer on big up-in' his cheap endorsements.

Offline juSe

• LGM Member
  • Call me juSe Wayne

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2007, 10:21:33 PM »
You're experiencing sympathetic vibration.  The tuning of your 10" tom and your Musashi are relatively close, if not exact.  What you could do it tune your 'Sashi lower or higher.  You could also elect to tune the 10" higher or lower, just in case you would want to keep the tension of the 'Sashi at its current state. 

Happy drumming. 

*nods head in agreement*
You Are Your Only Limitation!!

Eccentric-Rhythm

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2007, 07:18:28 AM »
Agreed. I frequently had the same problem. Fuss around with tuning and you will get it just right.

Offline yamahaboy

• LGM Member
  • I Love Jewels!!

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2007, 11:04:52 AM »
THANX PROBLEM FIXED! I have another problem i have a Stage Custom Fusion set and i need to find a good head choice. I want to stick with REMO. I use the REMO RINGS because i like the fat tone the give to my drums but i want a clear head that would give me a more focused sound to my toms. Any advise?
Richard

Offline SabianKnight

• LGM Member
  • Art by C1... Thanx Bruh!

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2007, 01:28:03 PM »

The buzz is not the drum but the fact that it is tuned too close to the same pitch as the 10". You need to tune it lower or tune you 10" higher. My suggestion is tune the snare lower. Oak has a higher pitch anyway so you don't have to tune it tight. I have owned the 12" Musashi for about 5 years and it only needs a medium tight tension at most. A coated 2-ply head wll give some body.
Currently I have a G2 coated on top and a Hazy 200 on he bottom for sensitivity. Plan to go to he Genera HD and a Hazy 300 and Pure Sound wires since I have never changed the stock wires.

I know that I am late responding to this  :P

clear Emporers are your only real option.... less you want Pinstripes.
Try not to become a person of success but rather a person of VALUE. - T. Harv Eker

Offline buzz95

• LGM Member
  • What company will BBD go to next? Stay tuned.

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2007, 02:33:31 PM »
I know that I am late responding to this  :P

...and, late for replying with the same advise that I've already given!   ;)
"I paid nothing, I got mine for free!!!!!" - bigblackdrummer on big up-in' his cheap endorsements.

JFunky

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2007, 02:49:17 PM »
THANX PROBLEM FIXED! I have another problem i have a Stage Custom Fusion set and i need to find a good head choice. I want to stick with REMO. I use the REMO RINGS because i like the fat tone the give to my drums but i want a clear head that would give me a more focused sound to my toms. Any advise?

...yeah, practice on tuning.  Then, go with the Clear Emperors over Clear Ambassadors.  I played that same kit a few months back at a church we played at and it sounded very good with that combo.  The 12" had a lil' piece of duct tape on it in the shape of a "V" to control the overtones a bit but that was it.  Everything else was wide open.

...throw those O rings away buddy.  A drum kit is not supposed to sound choked. ;)

JFunky

« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2007, 02:52:52 PM »
...wait, you want your toms to sound "Fat" right?  The Clear Pinstripes would do with NO "O Rings".  That's an old skool sound though man but to each is own. :-\

Offline snareman

• LGM Member

« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2007, 03:29:53 PM »
...wait, you want your toms to sound "Fat" right?  The Clear Pinstripes would do with NO "O Rings".  That's an old skool sound though man but to each is own. :-\

Sustained!

Offline yamahaboy

• LGM Member
  • I Love Jewels!!

« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2007, 05:12:58 PM »
Thanx u right Jfunky I wasnt intendin on having my kit too choked but i think that I may go with the emperors. Ive been playing since i was 4 years old and Im 17 now so im still new to the game compared to the other players out there and appreciate all of the help u guys gave me.

Thanx

Richard
Pages: [1]   Go Up