LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Practice Per.....  (Read 2430 times)

Offline 4hisglory

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
    • Learn Gospel Musiic

Practice Per.....
« on: February 09, 2007, 03:28:53 PM »
How much do you practice your bass per day/week??
:)

Offline ddwilkins

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My Arsenal!!!!
    • D'Wayne's Spot

Re: Practice Per.....
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2007, 04:04:27 PM »
Everyday about 2-3 hours.  It all depends on what I'm doing that day or what I'm trying to learn.
Keep God first and he'll do the rest!!!

Offline jeremyr

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Callowhill fanatic
    • My Youtube Chanel

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2007, 04:08:05 PM »
Everyday about 2-3 hours.  It all depends on what I'm doing that day or what I'm trying to learn.

i'm between 3- 6 hours a day.
Somebody put me in the key of E#

Offline Torch7

• LGM Member
    • Gospel Bass Guitar Lessons Site

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2007, 04:30:20 PM »
wow you guys gets some serious practice time in.

about 6 hours a week (some weeks, a little less, or a little more)

Offline cogicguy

• LGM Member

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2007, 04:31:01 PM »
I need to step up my game...I'm only doing like 2 hours but thats not even everyday. I need to start setting goals for myself to complete at least every week. Any ideas, and please dont say scales...LOL
No weapon formed against me shall prosper

Offline LowBass

• LGM Member
    • Bass Ideas

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2007, 04:40:33 PM »
I need to step up my game...I'm only doing like 2 hours but thats not even everyday. I need to start setting goals for myself to complete at least every week. Any ideas, and please dont say scales...LOL
My brother who has played the organ,piano for about 49 years relayed what my mother told him.She said 30 minutes per day so you do not get burned out.The brain can only take in so much at a time,before it try to shut down.

Offline 4hisglory

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
    • Learn Gospel Musiic

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2007, 05:00:47 PM »
My brother who has played the organ,piano for about 49 years relayed what my mother told him.She said 30 minutes per day so you do not get burned out.The brain can only take in so much at a time,before it try to shut down.

I don't know about 30 min......but for the guys that practice 3+ hours... (not trying to be noisey buuutttt)  Are you more of the professional bassist??  Do you have kids, 8 - 5 job?? 

Everyone situation is different, just trying to find out more.

Offline LowBass

• LGM Member
    • Bass Ideas

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2007, 05:04:18 PM »
You doing scale wrong,you should just try to make the scale sound like music,focus from your heart,let your heart come up with the tune.Examples below
http://www.esnips.com/doc/ef1adb9d-a748-4426-bf54-72bf64de9367/Me-playing-G-major-1,3,4,5-on-the-bass
http://www.esnips.com/doc/341ff8ed-fec8-4d68-9e7b-c42bd47e3f2d/Key-of-A-Jazz-chromatic-bass-run
http://www.esnips.com/doc/11e2a2ab-afd3-4071-8dac-f975903f1dec/Working-out-with-Chromatics-and-Minors

Offline Torch7

• LGM Member
    • Gospel Bass Guitar Lessons Site

« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2007, 05:17:43 PM »
I don't know about 30 min......but for the guys that practice 3+ hours... (not trying to be noisey buuutttt)  Are you more of the professional bassist??  Do you have kids, 8 - 5 job?? 

Are you asking for those who practice more than 3 hours a day, or more than 3 a week.

My practice time includes, Friday night rehearsal with the praise team.  which is minimum 3 hours.
I typically don't practice Sunday or Wednesday Nights, I play in both those services.
Which leaves me, Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Saturdays open.  Saturdays are typically designated for family time.
SO now I have Monday Tuesday and Thursday. I'm a minister so I have to prepare messages, spend time with 4 kids, wife, and get my personal time with the Lord.
So as you can see... Practice can't be top priority for me.  I get 45 min. to an hour on those last three nights... Sometimes more, sometimes less.

Offline LowBass

• LGM Member
    • Bass Ideas

« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2007, 05:50:14 PM »

You can do it 4hisglory,what I do is this 7 mins scales,7 mins chords for the scale. I work with 5 min technics,5 mins on trying to come up with my own bass line using the same scale with chords,rest on listening and trying to play any song.But do this for a week keep the same song.It's slow but I play for free.This is not a career for me like it is for so many.
This is my brothers career alone with preaching. It worked for him and working for me.But tryit and see if more sink iand stay in your brain.

Offline ddwilkins

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My Arsenal!!!!
    • D'Wayne's Spot

« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2007, 06:34:41 PM »

I consider myself to be professional and I would like this to be my main source of income, so I put in the time.  I am married, with a 16 month old (who loves music as well), my work schedule is 3-11:30pm so I have a lot of time on my hand during the day while my wife is at work and son is at daycare.  When the house is clean, and gas prices to high to ride around all day, I just pick my bass up and start playing. 

Offline LowBass

• LGM Member
    • Bass Ideas

« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2007, 07:41:07 PM »
I consider myself to be professional and I would like this to be my main source of income, so I put in the time.  I am married, with a 16 month old (who loves music as well), my work schedule is 3-11:30pm so I have a lot of time on my hand during the day while my wife is at work and son is at daycare.  When the house is clean, and gas prices to high to ride around all day, I just pick my bass up and start playing. 
Because I workout 30 mins a day do not make me less or anyone else.I spend my time on the music we have to sing.Your workouts are just for preps.I can put a bassline to a song just as good and anyone else with less work and stress on my fingers ;).

Offline LowBass

• LGM Member
    • Bass Ideas

« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2007, 07:45:20 PM »
Because I workout 30 mins a day do not make me less or anyone else.I spend my time on the music we have to sing.Your workouts are just for preps.I can put a bassline to a song just as good and anyone else with less work and stress on my fingers ;).
Because I workout 30 mins a day do not make me or anyone else less of a professional
I lefted out the last part word,in my last post (less of a professional)

Offline ddwilkins

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My Arsenal!!!!
    • D'Wayne's Spot

« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2007, 07:57:19 PM »
I love my craft, so that's why I put in the time. 

Offline 4hisglory

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
    • Learn Gospel Musiic

« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2007, 09:17:40 PM »

I'm not a bassist but I do play the keyboard and 30 min don't strain me at all.  Actually 3 hours doesn't strain me during practice because I am.......practicing.....most of the time playing very slow to work out the fingering and the timing.

Offline ddwilkins

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My Arsenal!!!!
    • D'Wayne's Spot

« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2007, 09:37:59 PM »
30 minutes would kill me because I think of it like this, if I practice for 3 hours, then I would have no problem playing during a 2 hour concert because I would already have endurance.  Its like running the 400 meter dash. To endure that race I would have to practice running at least 600 meters daily to build endurance for the 400.  I ran track so that's my philosophy.  I ran the 100, so I would train by running 200s daily.

Offline play4zero

• LGM Member

« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2007, 01:57:07 AM »
Depends on how much I play.  If I play a bunch, practice time is limited.  But, even when i play, I still practice for at least a half an hour before I load up so I'll be warmed up to play.
Ezekiel 3:12

Offline BassbyGrace

• LGM Member
  • striving

« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2007, 02:56:35 AM »
Ive started off 07 with some dedication lol.  I get about 5-6 hrs per day.  Im blessed that thats my job though ;).  Well, my actual job in the army is a tuba player, but right now we dont have much of anything going on because alot of our things are still being shipped from Iraq, so my work days are empty.  I practice scales and technical stuff from say 0900-1130, then at home later I do my listening and transcribing for 3-4hrs.  I wish I would have been more dedicated a long time ago. 
Praise Him!

Offline Mysteryman

• LGM Member
  • The Jamaican breakfast patty created by me. :)
    • http://www.geocities.com/mysterymman1

« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2007, 04:27:01 AM »
I have not been practicing bass sad to say but I wont loose anything because I have been practicing keyboard more so my finger dexerity will get faster on bass. I hope to get back on bass soon. Then I will probably be practicing 2 hours a day maybe.
Vision without action is just day dreaming. I miss practicing.

Offline Ken Felder

• LGM Member
  • My Wepon

« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2007, 07:48:48 PM »
i dont practice as much as i use to. i do about 30 muinutes a day, and thats on scales. if learning a song it takes maybe no longer than 20-30 muinets  depending on the progression in the song.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up