LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Turning Learning into a language...  (Read 436 times)

Offline bassmanundertaker

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • "To God Be The Glory"

Turning Learning into a language...
« on: February 21, 2007, 07:44:45 PM »
How do I associate learning to play Bass Guitar into a language?  ?/?
What I mean is...I was watching a clip with the "GREAT" "Victor Wooten" :o...and he said to try and learn the bass guitar like it was the most commonly used language that we as a people speak...the way that he was explaining it really made me think about what he said, ?/? but, trying to apply it has been quite a task :-\ :-\...he also mentioned that when doing this that we are not to think about it, ?/? :-[ because as babies we never really thought about how to put words into the place that they should go when speaking a complete sentence,  it just sort of came with a little help...can someone please help me out with this and let me know how I can also apply something to allow me to remember the fret board.  ?/? ?/?Thank You in Advance.
"To God Be The Glory for KNOWLEDGE, WISDOM, and UNDERSTANDING of MY GIFTS that HE has Given ME!"

Offline ddwilkins

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My Arsenal!!!!
    • D'Wayne's Spot

Re: Turning Learning into a language...
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2007, 07:59:29 PM »
Basically he is saying, "repitition."  I have a son who is 16 months so I can relate to this very easy.  My son is trying to say a few words, and tho they are not coming out right, through repition they are getting much better.  Its the same with learning the fretboard.  Through repition of scales and modes, you'll eventually be able to just play without even thinking about where to go on the fretboard.
Keep God first and he'll do the rest!!!

Offline Groovesmith

• LGM Member
  • Daddy and his little blessing from God.

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2007, 11:42:17 PM »
Thats bad!!!!!!  I love that concept.  Bass class 101 is now in session.
Groovesmith

Offline Torch7

• LGM Member
    • Gospel Bass Guitar Lessons Site

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2007, 11:28:18 AM »
I have heard Victor Wooten use this anology.

DDwilkins is on point with his example.

I think of the fretboard like the Keyboard I am using to type with right now. When I took typing classes in the 7th grade I had to look at my fingers to type.
but by the 8th grade, I could effectively type 35 words a minute without looking down at the keyboard.  Now Many years later, I can type without looking at the keys, and whats more, I can type without really thinking what I am typing.  The moment something hits my mind, my fingers automatically go to the position on the keyboard to create words.

While these are great examples, and hold much truth.  Music is a bit different, because you add tonalities, to expression.  If I say "Hello" Low, or high, Mono-tone or with many voice fluctiations.  Its all discernable.  With music we fully rely on tones to verify differences. The English language doesn't rely on tonalities so these examples don't really jump out to us.

Offline bradleymoorer

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Bringing da bass in Jesus name!!!
    • http://www.myspace.com/minbrad

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2007, 12:01:18 PM »
I have heard Victor Wooten use this anology.

DDwilkins is on point with his example.

I think of the fretboard like the Keyboard I am using to type with right now. When I took typing classes in the 7th grade I had to look at my fingers to type.
but by the 8th grade, I could effectively type 35 words a minute without looking down at the keyboard.  Now Many years later, I can type without looking at the keys, and whats more, I can type without really thinking what I am typing.  The moment something hits my mind, my fingers automatically go to the position on the keyboard to create words.

While these are great examples, and hold much truth.  Music is a bit different, because you add tonalities, to expression.  If I say "Hello" Low, or high, Mono-tone or with many voice fluctiations.  Its all discernable.  With music we fully rely on tones to verify differences. The English language doesn't rely on tonalities so these examples don't really jump out to us.

Hot reply man, truly...

The way I see it and to bring it in to a spiritual prospective is that when I am playing a song I want people in the congregation to almost hear what type of worship and praise is going on in my head at that time. Like I want them to hear me say Hallelujah with my bass. Also I will immitate the vocals to further drive home the message in the song. That's is why I like the previous statement, you use the inflections, grace notes, and runs to communicate mainly with God and has a run-over into the congregation.
Bradley AKA Bass Monkey
Pages: [1]   Go Up