LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How Much Education Should A Pastor Have?  (Read 1136 times)

Offline ndel

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

How Much Education Should A Pastor Have?
« on: August 22, 2006, 06:23:49 PM »
God wants us to study, learn and be trained for the work that He has annointed us to do.  This question is not for people who have a special touch from the Lord and  the Lord has clearly put them in place without formal training,  (Because we know that God can give you knowledge, wisdom and understanding that a degree cannot, if He so chooses)  Generally, how important do you think  a degree is to a Pastor.  (Sometimes I get confused because I hear Baptist ministers calling each other Dr. This  and  Dr. That and the person  doesn't have a doctorate.)

Offline PianoWizard

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • 費思是能力到不恐慌

Re: How Much Education Should A Pastor Have?
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2006, 06:01:57 AM »
Great question “ndel”……I’ll give my perspective when I have more time.

Looking forward to the replies on this one… :)

PianoWiz...

Offline david johnson

• LGM Member

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2006, 07:53:24 AM »
competence would be more important than formal education.
education does not always equal competence...but neither does ignorance.

dj

Offline tania108

• LGM Member

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2006, 04:37:02 PM »
Well there's no teacher like the Holy Spirit.  To me education is not what should qualify you as a pastor anyway.  Joyce Meyer's never graduated from high school and look at her now!

Offline ndel

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2006, 05:15:31 PM »
Well there's no teacher like the Holy Spirit.  To me education is not what should qualify you as a pastor anyway.  Joyce Meyer's never graduated from high school and look at her now!

I didn't realize that Joyce Meyer never graduated high school.  God is AWSOME!!!!!!!!

Offline PianoWizard

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • 費思是能力到不恐慌

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2006, 07:50:06 PM »

I never knew that.... :o....but I completely support what your saying there is no teacher like the HOLY SPIRIT. I have nothing against those who have gone and got a degree and are qualified to do what they have been called to do, because the BIBLE says "Study to show thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the Word of Truth". 2 Tim. 2:15

There is no limit or minimum to what God can work with.

PianoWiz...

Offline BBoy

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Let's Praise Jesus Together!

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2006, 03:15:27 AM »
I beleive Joyce Meyer did graduate high school, at the top of her class in fact. She didn't go to college, but neither did a lot of folks.

Whereas a degree isn't a prerequisite, I firmly beleive that if a person has the opportunity to get an education they should take advantage of it. We should want to be the best we can be, and sometimes just the reading and writing papers in college improves communicative ability.

Our folks before us fought and prayed so that we could be where we are today . . the chance to get an education and be anything we wanted to be. Now, strangely, a lot of people don't want to take advantage of it. Say what we will, but I personally beleive a lot of people are just simply more comfartable being ignorant, becasue they think that little will be expected of them.

Little do they know that life will place the same demands on you, whether you are prepared for them or not. Education is preparation for the future. 
Joshua 1: 7, 8

Offline Kevykev388

• LGM Member

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2007, 02:05:35 PM »
Lets see here.....I say a pastor only needs.....A Good heart and good mind....and to have graduated from King James High School recieving a Bible
Keys, bass, drums, trombone, I sing a lil bit too lol

Offline nessalynn77

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
    • Inspirational Contemplation

« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2007, 02:17:46 PM »
I never knew that.... :o....but I completely support what your saying there is no teacher like the HOLY SPIRIT. I have nothing against those who have gone and got a degree and are qualified to do what they have been called to do, because the BIBLE says "Study to show thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the Word of Truth". 2 Tim. 2:15

There is no limit or minimum to what God can work with.

PianoWiz...
I agree.  If you know you have been called to a certain calling, and the education is available to assist you, I say do everything you can to prepare yourself, allowing the Lord to lead you and teach you along the way.
Pages: [1]   Go Up