LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Do ya'll ever feel like this?  (Read 1469 times)

Offline Sweetsoundz

• LGM Member

Do ya'll ever feel like this?
« on: September 19, 2006, 01:55:45 PM »
Hi guys! Kinda new here--ya'll have some great discussions! Wondering.... been playing at my church for about 5 years. we have a drummer and praise team, but i'm the only one on keys. small church. many times during svcs the members get moments to encourage each other (pastor says go hug 3 people and tell 'em you love 'em, etc.), but i'm on keys, so i am not able to participate. or when pastor lays hands and wants music, i'm playing while everybody else is "preparing their spirits" and being laid out! (smile) ... so when pastor gets to me, she comes to me at the keyboard --- i am thankful that i'm not always left out, but i find it hard to "prepare my spirit" and do what i'm assigned to do simultaneously. kinda makes me feel that i'm "just a musician", not allowed to be like the rest of the congregation. I'M NOT SEEKING AN EXPERIENCE ONLY-- we receive a lot of Word, so there is balance. Do you guys find that you always have to "encourage yourselves" later since you're busy working to make joyful noises when something was going on in the sanctuary? Do you guys ever feel "left out"?  (Yes, I'm female, and the emotions, whether they be balanced or not, are real...smile)

Offline nessalynn77

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
    • Inspirational Contemplation

Re: Do ya'll ever feel like this?
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2006, 02:45:20 PM »
I totally understand what you're saying.  Sometimes when the hugs are going around, someone will remember to come over and give me a hug, but sometimes I get forgotten  :).  When it comes to needing prayer, if I need it, I get up and go and forsake the music if need be.  I gotta battle to fight when I leave just like everyone else. 

But sometimes, I do feel (or the person ministering will tell me) that the music needs to be there for a certain time, I feel that God knows what I need in those situations, and since I'm obeying him, he'll take care of the rest.

It's kind of that way for the preacher, too.  I'm sure sometimes they wish they could just receive instead of being called on to impart to everyone else.  When they're all done, who ministers to them?  They kinda have to get it while they're preaching it, or on their own time.

Offline KurzLand

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2006, 02:49:51 PM »
First: WELCOME to LGM.

Well I know how you feel. Being left out and everything. Is there a way you can stop playing and participate on the hugging and stuff? if you feel like participating tell your pastor that you want to go and hug people during this time. There is no need for music to be playing. Everybody is being busy blessing everybody that nobody cares if there is music going on. 

Why do you want to be like the rest of the congregation? Being a musician for God should surpass the need to be just another member. Sure participate with them but don't be like them. Most members just sit around and do nothing all service. We as musician should be proud that we have a privileged to do something every service. I'm not saying that we are better I'm saying that we shouldn't worry that people don't treat us like the rest. We are special and they know that.

God bless you. :)
"Experience is not what happens to a man; it is what a man does with what happens to him." -A.Huxley

Offline bishopcole

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • YES INDEED!!! AND THATS A RAP!!!

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2006, 02:50:29 PM »
I totally understand what you're saying.  Sometimes when the hugs are going around, someone will remember to come over and give me a hug, but sometimes I get forgotten  :).  When it comes to needing prayer, if I need it, I get up and go and forsake the music if need be.  I gotta battle to fight when I leave just like everyone else. 

But sometimes, I do feel (or the person ministering will tell me) that the music needs to be there for a certain time, I feel that God knows what I need in those situations, and since I'm obeying him, he'll take care of the rest.

It's kind of that way for the preacher, too.  I'm sure sometimes they wish they could just receive instead of being called on to impart to everyone else.  When they're all done, who ministers to them?  They kinda have to get it while they're preaching it, or on their own time.

Watch out Ness, cause you are about to start something! ;)  I could not have said this any better, cause this is how I feel at times. Welcome to LGM S.S!!!  Bishop Cole :)
"Stay in God Always"  - Bishop Lamar Cole
"It's not about the Music, it's about the Ministry"

Offline Mysteryman

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • The Jamaican breakfast patty created by me. :)
    • http://www.geocities.com/mysterymman1

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2006, 03:51:56 PM »
Welcome Sweetsoundz!!!

I know how you feel too. Sometimes we have anointing services and I dont get up and go down til the service is completely over to get prayed for. I know if I get up sometimes the other younger musicians will get on and start playing this crazy stuff or they will start jamming at the end of service while people are in the Spirit and being delivered. Sometimes I go down to get prayed for with out the music too. Usually people are singing so I will build up and do a break with just singing then do down.
Vision without action is just day dreaming. I miss practicing.

Offline Sweetsoundz

• LGM Member

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2006, 04:25:28 PM »
bless you all.... was starting to think it was just me... i realize the call that God's made, and the appointment my pastor has given, so i don't take it lightly---i'm honored.  i am not saying i want to be just like the others in the congregation, but there are times when we as musicians want to be ministered TO.  ya'll know what i'm saying... thank ya'll for "feelin me"...

Offline ncottoncandy

• LGM Member

« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2006, 11:46:56 PM »
We do the same thing at my church. My MOM had the same problem so, during that greeting time he pops in cds the choir has out and he worships with us.

Offline KurzLand

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2006, 07:54:56 PM »
bless you all.... was starting to think it was just me... i realize the call that God's made, and the appointment my pastor has given, so i don't take it lightly---i'm honored.  i am not saying i want to be just like the others in the congregation, but there are times when we as musicians want to be ministered TO.  ya'll know what i'm saying... thank ya'll for "feelin me"...

Have you noticed that when we get ministered we praise God like never before? Me, I get ministered like once every 3 months. I still praise God when I play but it's not really the same. Since I'm not in the altar every sunday then when I do get ministered I praise God like never before. If it's like if the praise we have for God builds up inside that when we get a chance to get ministered, we let it all out.
"Experience is not what happens to a man; it is what a man does with what happens to him." -A.Huxley

Offline Kevykev388

• LGM Member

« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2007, 01:55:59 PM »
First: WELCOME to LGM.

Well I know how you feel. Being left out and everything. Is there a way you can stop playing and participate on the hugging and stuff? if you feel like participating tell your pastor that you want to go and hug people during this time. There is no need for music to be playing. Everybody is being busy blessing everybody that nobody cares if there is music going on. 

Why do you want to be like the rest of the congregation? Being a musician for God should surpass the need to be just another member. Sure participate with them but don't be like them. Most members just sit around and do nothing all service. We as musician should be proud that we have a privileged to do something every service. I'm not saying that we are better I'm saying that we shouldn't worry that people don't treat us like the rest. We are special and they know that.

God bless you. :)

I understand what you're sayin man but at the same time i cant help but disagree. You stated that the musician should get up and go hug because no one cares about the music being played. No disrespect bruh but as musicians or should i say minstrels: we all play a VERY important role in the church service. Rather it be before service, during devotion, or during fellowship after the benediction. If no one comes over to hug us....oh well. If you are doing your job as a servant of God then you should be over in the corner playin your keyboard, drums, bass, lead, or WHATEVER while "in the zone!" You're over there getting into your music, and recieving your blessing regardless to rather people come over and acknowledge you or not! The pastor has to preach, a lot of times going into a rythym with a tone...that gets people in the spirit of the lord. Understanding the word of God coming through the pastor at a steady pase. We as musicians minister to the congregation as well. Ya konw during fast songs, "hittin the high notes," runs, riffs, "runnin dem horns," ya feel me? Or at moments when the pastor tells the congregation to go hug someone and so on, its up to US as musicians and minstrels to drop them layered piano and strings, or mellow electric piano! Something slow and mellow OR some "marching music" lol. Kind of like a movie man. We play music according to the environment, or we play music to SET the environment/mood! Hope everyone gets this....God bless!
Keys, bass, drums, trombone, I sing a lil bit too lol

Offline bradleymoorer

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Bringing da bass in Jesus name!!!
    • http://www.myspace.com/minbrad

« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2007, 09:02:08 AM »
I understand what you're sayin man but at the same time i cant help but disagree. You stated that the musician should get up and go hug because no one cares about the music being played. No disrespect bruh but as musicians or should i say minstrels: we all play a VERY important role in the church service. Rather it be before service, during devotion, or during fellowship after the benediction. If no one comes over to hug us....oh well. If you are doing your job as a servant of God then you should be over in the corner playin your keyboard, drums, bass, lead, or WHATEVER while "in the zone!" You're over there getting into your music, and recieving your blessing regardless to rather people come over and acknowledge you or not! The pastor has to preach, a lot of times going into a rythym with a tone...that gets people in the spirit of the lord. Understanding the word of God coming through the pastor at a steady pase. We as musicians minister to the congregation as well. Ya konw during fast songs, "hittin the high notes," runs, riffs, "runnin dem horns," ya feel me? Or at moments when the pastor tells the congregation to go hug someone and so on, its up to US as musicians and minstrels to drop them layered piano and strings, or mellow electric piano! Something slow and mellow OR some "marching music" lol. Kind of like a movie man. We play music according to the environment, or we play music to SET the environment/mood! Hope everyone gets this....God bless!

I like where you are at on this bruh!

I feel...first off welcome, anyway I feel that we are accountable for what we are presenting to the congregation, what I mean by that is that if it gets to the point where we need hands layed on us then we need to make that happen, if you need prayer and it is in your power you should put a worshipful cd on and get prayer. Sometimes what is going on in our lives comes out in our music so maybe you could even get with the pastor or members of the pastorial staff to pray with you before you start the service. As far as hugs during meet and greets, sometime you gotta chalk that up as an "L", a lot of times you will not get to "mingle" with the visitors...think about it a lot of times you see people just shootin the breeze with people they already know from the church instead of meeting the guests. Peace!
Bradley AKA Bass Monkey

Offline T-Block

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • I got my MBA!!!

« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2007, 01:58:57 PM »
This happens to me all the time, us musicians sometimes get left out on many occasions, but, we there to do a job.
Real musicians play in every key!!!
Music Theory, da numbers work!
Pages: [1]   Go Up