LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: High Scales on the sax  (Read 3648 times)

Offline sheviey

• LGM Member

High Scales on the sax
« on: March 01, 2007, 11:50:43 AM »
i want to learn the high scale on the sax

Offline Wolfram

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My dog Bear (125lbs of Luv)
    • Wolfram a/k/a Don Zlaty

Re: High Scales on the sax
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2007, 02:50:28 PM »
Ok...

please be more specific....

Do you mean high notes, like the palm keys or do you mean Altissimo or do you mean harder scales in general?

Wolfram

Offline sheviey

• LGM Member

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2007, 05:29:12 PM »
palm keys and harder scales in general

Offline Wolfram

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2007, 01:39:05 PM »
Ok...  Now what I am going to tell you will probably make you go DOH!!!

You should practice all your scales FULL range.  In other words, let's say you are playing a G major scale.  You would start on low G and play all the way up to high E (F# if you have one).  Then you come back down the scale all the way back down to low B.  And finally, you return back up the scale to low G.  The scale looks like this:

G-A-B-C-D-E-F#-G-A-B-C-D-E-(F#)-(E)-D-C-B-A-G-F#-E-D-C-B-A-G-F#-E-D-C-B-C-D-E-F#-G

This scale has officially been presented to you FULL RANGE.  You are practicing your high AND low registers.  I would take out a metronome (Yes, I said the M word) and start at about 60 bpm in eight notes.  Once you can play all twelve major scales FULL RANGE at that tempo, pick the speed up.  You want it to become second nature to you. 

Good luck.

Wolfram

Offline sheviey

• LGM Member

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2007, 10:43:05 AM »
Thanks a Million ;)

Offline MMCOGICboy

• LGM Member

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2007, 05:06:19 PM »
Do you have anything for the altoissimo(spelling)  notes?
Always remember Psalms 33:3- Sing unto him a new song; play skillfully with a loud noise.

Offline Wolfram

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2007, 01:40:05 PM »
Go to this site:  http://dalewolford.com/exercises.html

He has a pdf file with altissmo fingerings.  I would take things slowly at first.  Practice working up a scale note by note until you get a comfortable mouth set.

By the way, are you playing with your front high E and high F?

Offline MMCOGICboy

• LGM Member

« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2007, 02:21:41 PM »
I believe i can get those two notes.
Always remember Psalms 33:3- Sing unto him a new song; play skillfully with a loud noise.

Offline Wolfram

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2007, 11:12:02 AM »
Go up a C scale using the front High E and F the next note is high G  1, 3 on left hand 1 and Bb side key on right hand.  Octave key depressed.

Let me know when you have this.

Offline csedwards2

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
    • Find me on the book

« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2007, 09:36:30 AM »
no matter which fingering you use for your altissimo register, you MUST be able to hear the note first, then its easier to hit. Because the altissimo fingereing are different depending on your horn, you, what you've been taught, but Id say make sure you know which note you're shooting for, because I often times you have to lip up or down to get the right oone. Its definately possible to get several notes out of one fingering, but you want to stay with the best one, for you. Once you have the right embouchure in place for that note; dont forget it.

Offline Wolfram

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2007, 10:27:13 AM »
I agree.  There are several schools of thought that you can follow to achieve this aim.  The one I mentioned allows you to play the scale notes prior to the note that you are going to hit so you 'ramp' up to the not you are going for.  To try and hit a altissimo note cold as a novice would be difficult and discouraging.  The second school of thought concern the natural overtone series of the saxophone.  The conical shape of the sax gives us the same overtone series as a trumpet / trombone, etc...  There are exercises that will teach you to control your horns overtones so that you will be able to play in the upper reaches with ease.  Finally, csedwards2 made an excellent point about hearing the note you are trying to hit.  Try singing the note first.  You may have to use falsetto to pull that off.  Play the G an octave lower, then sing the octave above...  Notice what your tongue is doing.  What is your throat doing...  Pay attention to your pitch too!!  The slightest variance will send your note off in another direction OR will cause you to honk like a goose. 

Great altissimo is only available to musicians that take the time to perfect their entire horn.  My profs biggest point to me was that if you cannot play cleanly and in tune over the standard saxophone nonclemanture, then what leads you to believe that you should be able to pull off altissimo with any success? 

My students learn how to play their horns full range and in tune with good support BEFORE the word altissimo ever comes up... 

Cheers,

W

Offline Ladymusic88

• LGM Member

« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2007, 02:27:43 AM »
Great advice!  Not only can I share this info with my studens, but I can definitely apply it to my pratice routines.

Thanks!
Ladymusic88
Pages: [1]   Go Up