LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: YouTube advise 4 young drummers  (Read 1383 times)

preach25

YouTube advise 4 young drummers
« on: March 02, 2007, 10:23:44 AM »
after watching www.youtube.com i must admit there are some very skillful drummers.  however, i am becoming increasingly aggrevated with the lack of a pocket/or establishing of the groove.  Tip # 1, speed isn't everything! yes speed is nice but if u're timing is off it doesn't benefit u at all.  Tip #2, stop rolling/doing drum fills every second of the song.  this is so tacky! let the song breathe please i know u want 2 showcase u're skills but there is a time and place for everthing.  Tip #3, learn dynamics.  a drummer must always know when to play softly and when to open it up especially in gospel music. 
there are many other tips to tell, but for the sake of writing, i'll stop here.  I hope this blesses some1.
p.s. please don't take this as an attack on some1 because it IS NOT. this is only meant to share wisdom with younger and inexperienced drummers.

Offline Keys410

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • A perfect man I am not, but I strive to be!

Re: YouTube advise 4 young drummers
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2007, 10:48:17 AM »
Good Tips man..Be blessed
I'm destined for greatness!!!

Offline dway

• LGM Member

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2007, 12:04:26 PM »
Good Tip !! I am Guilty as charged !!! LOL !!!!!!!!

Offline drummerboy25

• LGM Member

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2007, 01:54:25 PM »
well said preach25. Good advice, we need more like it.

Offline Dr C

• LGM Member

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2007, 02:04:23 PM »
I agree! The "drumming aerobics" can become tiresome after a while! I would welcome a season of video clips of drumming with solid grooves dripping with feel, with tight timely placed short fills!
"You are never too old to set another goal or to dream a new dream", C S Lewis.

Offline dude-on-drums

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • www.kevinhayden.net
    • Kevin Hayden

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2007, 02:58:54 PM »
Good Tip !! I am Guilty as charged !!! LOL !!!!!!!!

yeah right!  youre one of the most seasoned cats i know!  you got more pocket than Levi!

after watching www.youtube.com i must admit there are some very skillful drummers.  however, i am becoming increasingly aggrevated with the lack of a pocket/or establishing of the groove.  Tip # 1, speed isn't everything! yes speed is nice but if u're timing is off it doesn't benefit u at all.  Tip #2, stop rolling/doing drum fills every second of the song.  this is so tacky! let the song breathe please i know u want 2 showcase u're skills but there is a time and place for everthing.  Tip #3, learn dynamics.  a drummer must always know when to play softly and when to open it up especially in gospel music. 
there are many other tips to tell, but for the sake of writing, i'll stop here.  I hope this blesses some1.
p.s. please don't take this as an attack on some1 because it IS NOT. this is only meant to share wisdom with younger and inexperienced drummers.

THE POCKET/GROOVE is primarily for cd's and dvd's

CHOPS/JAM SESSIONS/SHEDS are primarily for the internet

Basically what Im saying is, you have to look in the appropriate places to find what youre looking for.  and i say "primarily" because you can still find "pocket playing" on the internet but not as much in, lets say, Walmart!  or wherever you buy music.   :D

Good advice though fam   :)

Offline BEATBOXERZ

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2007, 11:30:53 AM »
There have been many clips that have been posted that have been about pocket disciple. I just posted a clip of me just playing pocket, and another on with me demoing my cymbals. So has Sheen.
Youngsters must know that you have to make room for the music too flow. You can still pull off some nice choppy stuff while you are in the pocket. It's all in your approach.

Offline AroBeRson

• LGM Member

« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2007, 11:32:18 AM »
gO0D INFO dOC

Offline diligent-hands

• LGM Member
  • NEW SINGLE (60 SECOND PRAYER)

« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2007, 11:56:46 PM »
well praise the lord...lol

Offline crazyfoot