LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Suggestions needed  (Read 1244 times)

Offline Val215

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Virtuously Gifted

Suggestions needed
« on: March 12, 2007, 11:22:53 AM »
In my choir, there is a group of young men ranging from ages 12-18. They all have great voices (alto, tenor, and baritone).  I would like to take 2 from each group and form a praise team. Now my question is...are there songs out there that would be a fit for them based on their ages and voices? Thanks for your help :)
Check me out on Facebook at Virtuously Gifted and on Instagram at virtuouslygifted_215

Offline nessalynn77

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
    • Inspirational Contemplation

Re: Suggestions needed
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2007, 12:28:21 PM »
Men of Standard comes to mind.... My friend did a song with some guys from his church called Latter Rain it was really good, I haven't bought the CD yet, but I think it's also title Latter Rain, I'm not 100% sure.

Offline nessalynn77

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
    • Inspirational Contemplation

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2007, 12:29:26 PM »
Correction:  The CD is entitled "Surrounded"

Offline saxandkeys

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • "You ain't gotta go nowhere...I gotchu!"

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2007, 07:54:40 AM »
In my choir, there is a group of young men ranging from ages 12-18. They all have great voices (alto, tenor, and baritone).  I would like to take 2 from each group and form a praise team. Now my question is...are there songs out there that would be a fit for them based on their ages and voices? Thanks for your help :)

Hey Val,

I know that I say this all of the time.....but.....personally, I would like to see more originality in praise teams and choirs. For example.....If you have great young male voices....why not go back to some of the CLASSIC male standards.  Get with the musicians and redo some of the old "Christianaires" or "Canton Spirituals" or "Sensational Nightingales"...........but make them more contemporary.

Many times when I play at church programs, I'll hear the same 6 or 7 songs.....no originality.       IMO
I'd rather be imperfectly inspired, than to be perfectly entertained...

Offline MrSparrow

• LGM Member

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2007, 10:51:52 AM »
You can take any song, change the key, change the parts (Give the soprano note to the tenor, give the Alto Note to the Baratone etc... to fit your needs.

I do that with all of my groups. You don't have to just do "men" selections... your library is limitless when you look at things that way...

So if you want to do Friend of God, then change the key to a key that will work for the guys you got. The song is in E natural... change it to C# and give the Alto the Ab/G#, the Tenor the F/E# and the baratone the Db/C# for the "I am a friend" for the "Of GOD" part give the Alto the F, the Tenor the C#/Db and the Baratone the Ab/G#...

Ya dig?

MrSparrow

Offline Val215

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Virtuously Gifted

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2007, 12:31:03 PM »
Thanks for your input. Very helpful :)

You can take any song, change the key, change the parts (Give the soprano note to the tenor, give the Alto Note to the Baratone etc... to fit your needs.

I do that with all of my groups. You don't have to just do "men" selections... your library is limitless when you look at things that way...

So if you want to do Friend of God, then change the key to a key that will work for the guys you got. The song is in E natural... change it to C# and give the Alto the Ab/G#, the Tenor the F/E# and the baratone the Db/C# for the "I am a friend" for the "Of GOD" part give the Alto the F, the Tenor the C#/Db and the Baratone the Ab/G#...

Ya dig?

MrSparrow

Cool, I haven't thought about doing that. Sounds like a plan!
Check me out on Facebook at Virtuously Gifted and on Instagram at virtuouslygifted_215

Offline MrSparrow

• LGM Member

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2007, 01:42:09 PM »
We're here to help...

MrSparrow

Offline Mysteryman

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • The Jamaican breakfast patty created by me. :)
    • http://www.geocities.com/mysterymman1

« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2007, 02:19:20 PM »
You probably saw where I deleted my post. lol I was about to explain why I say that but I thought about it could go either way. I was mostly thinking about the brotherhood chior at my church. My explaination would have got a little tied up.
Vision without action is just day dreaming. I miss practicing.
Pages: [1]   Go Up