LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Ima youngster!  (Read 1176 times)

Offline yamahaboy

• LGM Member
  • I Love Jewels!!

Ima youngster!
« on: March 15, 2007, 09:37:52 PM »
 Im In the 11th grade and I don't know how to read music yet... Is It wrong for me to have been playing for over 15 yrs and not be able to read music? I know how to play all the patterns on the kit but when it comes down to reading them on paper I totally get lost... In 6-8 grade I was in the school band and I didnt know any of the notes or patterns when we were playing when we learned a new song...I just listened to what the other percussionist were playing and then I would learn the song by ear and thats How i figured out the songs we were playing... I did the same thing on the snare drum patterns.... but I was always the best one even though I couldnt read... I hate I didnt take the time to learn to read...  :-\... People ask me all the time how I did a certain pattern and I can't even tell them what I played because I just don't know...

thanks for reading this long post...God BLESS!! :)
Richard

Offline juSe

• LGM Member
  • Call me juSe Wayne

Re: Ima youngster!
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2007, 10:14:51 PM »
Well homie, if you're looking for someone to blame, both you AND your teacher.  I would say that your teacher takes a lot of the blame for not holding you accountable as a player and making you learn to read.  I don't you well enough (at all) to call you out, but you do have to assume your share of the issue. 

I was in the same boat as you in middle school.  I made it all the way to captian of the drum line in the 7th grade in our middle school marching band without reading a note of music.  I always had the interest and wanted to learn, but my band director never taught the drummers any of the theory.  We played all of our cadences crisp and clean, but we learned them by rote.  I didn't think much of it until it came time for me to get into high school. 

Went to the performing arts high school in Kansas City (Paseo Academy class of 2004).  There was no such thing as show up the first day of school.  You had to audition to get in.  I show up to my audition and play Dave Weckl's "Tower '99" lights out.  My future band director (who also happened to be a drummer) asked me to sight read a "simple" snare excersize.  I played the first 2 bars and fudged the rest.  I knew I bombed that part.  He looked at me and said, "You must be able to read.  I'll give you 4 days to get a basic understanding of what notation is.  You will have to read to get anywhere in this school and in the music business."  He told me to go to the drum shop and buy a beginers snare method book.  He also gave me his phone number to call him and ask him any questions that I may have.  I shedded that book night and day for 4 days.  There was no way that I was going to let something like that keep me from taking the next step in life.  I ended up getting into school, but I had to take a beginners band class for my first semester in high school because my reading skills were nowhere near my technical facility.  Knowing how to read gets even MORE crucial in college.  You will not be accepted to the conservatory at all if you can not read.  That, or you will be stuck paying for remedial theory classes that will not count towards your degee.  Not only that, it will be extremely hard for you to gain the respect of your fellow musicians and ESPECIALLY the "legit" percussionist that can read and play.  You may be able to smoke them on the kit, but if they asked you how many flats are in the key of Eb and you look like :-\ and they can play it....  Catch my drift?

I say all of that to say this to all of the cats on the board.  If you want to learn you can.  If you want to learn how to read, there is nothing that says that you can't do it.  The same way you practice licks and chops, you can shed the same way on the theorettical aspects of music.  You will be respected even more in musical circles if you can read AND play lights out.  Look at the recent comments on the board.  I know everyone read the thread that had the comments from the gospel cats in ZTIMES.  They are telling cats not to wait until late in life to learn to read.  Chris Coleman is telling cats to read.  It is a MUST HAVE in your tool box if you want to work.  There is no way that I could so the majority of the work that I do (musically) if I could not tell a quarter rest from a dotted eighth sixteenth figure. 

God gave you a gift.  He also gave you the recorces to cultivate your gift.  The desire to get better is only the first step.  The persuit of knowledge is an on going process.  Just because 90% of our teachers may have done us an injustice by not teaching us how to read does not mean that we must keep doing the same injustice to ourselves.  Don't miss the boat cats....

You Are Your Only Limitation!!

Offline Hotsticks1

• LGM Member
  • Welcome to my world...
    • Myspace

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2007, 10:39:24 PM »
Yo mah dude, I'm in the same predicament as you!!! Same grade, age, and everything, and same amount of years of experience...Holla at me man, I need to hear some of these answers too!!!
"If thine enemy wrong thee...Buy each of his children a drum"

Offline dude-on-drums

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • www.kevinhayden.net
    • Kevin Hayden

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2007, 10:41:36 PM »
Well homie, if you're looking for someone to blame, both you AND your teacher.  I would say that your teacher takes a lot of the blame for not holding you accountable as a player and making you learn to read.  I don't you well enough (at all) to call you out, but you do have to assume your share of the issue. 

I was in the same boat as you in middle school.  I made it all the way to captian of the drum line in the 7th grade in our middle school marching band without reading a note of music.  I always had the interest and wanted to learn, but my band director never taught the drummers any of the theory.  We played all of our cadences crisp and clean, but we learned them by rote.  I didn't think much of it until it came time for me to get into high school. 

Went to the performing arts high school in Kansas City (Paseo Academy class of 2004).  There was no such thing as show up the first day of school.  You had to audition to get in.  I show up to my audition and play Dave Weckl's "Tower '99" lights out.  My future band director (who also happened to be a drummer) asked me to sight read a "simple" snare excersize.  I played the first 2 bars and fudged the rest.  I knew I bombed that part.  He looked at me and said, "You must be able to read.  I'll give you 4 days to get a basic understanding of what notation is.  You will have to read to get anywhere in this school and in the music business."  He told me to go to the drum shop and buy a beginers snare method book.  He also gave me his phone number to call him and ask him any questions that I may have.  I shedded that book night and day for 4 days.  There was no way that I was going to let something like that keep me from taking the next step in life.  I ended up getting into school, but I had to take a beginners band class for my first semester in high school because my reading skills were nowhere near my technical facility.  Knowing how to read gets even MORE crucial in college.  You will not be accepted to the conservatory at all if you can not read.  That, or you will be stuck paying for remedial theory classes that will not count towards your degee.  Not only that, it will be extremely hard for you to gain the respect of your fellow musicians and ESPECIALLY the "legit" percussionist that can read and play.  You may be able to smoke them on the kit, but if they asked you how many flats are in the key of Eb and you look like :-\ and they can play it....  Catch my drift?

I say all of that to say this to all of the cats on the board.  If you want to learn you can.  If you want to learn how to read, there is nothing that says that you can't do it.  The same way you practice licks and chops, you can shed the same way on the theorettical aspects of music.  You will be respected even more in musical circles if you can read AND play lights out.  Look at the recent comments on the board.  I know everyone read the thread that had the comments from the gospel cats in ZTIMES.  They are telling cats not to wait until late in life to learn to read.  Chris Coleman is telling cats to read.  It is a MUST HAVE in your tool box if you want to work.  There is no way that I could so the majority of the work that I do (musically) if I could not tell a quarter rest from a dotted eighth sixteenth figure. 

God gave you a gift.  He also gave you the recorces to cultivate your gift.  The desire to get better is only the first step.  The persuit of knowledge is an on going process.  Just because 90% of our teachers may have done us an injustice by not teaching us how to read does not mean that we must keep doing the same injustice to ourselves.  Don't miss the boat cats....

...taking heed to these words...thanks lil bro

Offline TheReturn

• LGM Member
  • Me In My ZONE!!!!!

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2007, 01:18:33 AM »
MAN, I WAS IN THAT SITUATION TOO, IN MIDDLE SCHOOL.

I WAS THE FIRST PERCUSSIONIST. BUT, I CALLED MYSELF BEING SLICK; I TOLD THE WHOLE LINE TO PLAY THE MUSIC AND WOULD JUST SIT BACK AND LISTEN TO THEM. I WOULD ACT LIKE I WAS CRITIQUING WHAT THEY WERE PLAYING BUT, I WAS ACTUALLY MEMERIZING THE MUSIC. lol

BUT, I'M GETTING BETTER NOW, I CAN  READ MUSIC NOW, BUT I JUST CAN'T SIGHT READ THAT GOOD.

I THINK ALOT OF CHURCH DRUMMERS HAVE ALWAYS HAD THAT PROBLEM THOUGH. THEY WERE ALWAYS ACCEPTED IN THERE BAND AT SCHOOL BECAUSE OF THERE SKILL FROM PLAYING IN CHURCH BUT, COULD NEVER READ MUSIC.

HOLLA
CATRON/TheReturn
TRANSPOSING IS FOR CHEATERS. (thats why i want to quit)

Offline SabianKnight

• LGM Member
  • Art by C1... Thanx Bruh!

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2007, 06:53:03 AM »
Juse just gave the sermon and benediction.

What we are talking about here is musical literacy. in the stickies thread I wrote a post as king "How do you sign your musical name?... do you sign it with an "X"?"

Study and Show yourself approved unto God refers to everything we do. Unfortunately WE end up looking more like Cain than Christ in our actions. Jesus Christ for found in the synagogue with the scholars as a child blowing there minds... We go to school, take band, claim to love music but don't learn to read on purpose then get mad when folk say we cannot play (when we don't even know what we are playing). We get jealous and back-bite those whom can read and call the nerds saying, "It don't take all that"... "God looks on the heart (say ouch now!)". You are right God looks on the heart, sees that WE are not about HIS business because HE gave the path of going to school to learn to be a good steward over the talent of music and we bury it in the ground instead of taking it to the exchangers.... We end up looking and acting like Cain presenting a less than best offering to the LORD especially in church service right on the alter with now repentance.

How can I say all this and think it right? the bible says to work as unto the LORD... the bible also talk against slothfulness and foolishness and not seeking wisdom diligently all through Proverbs.

I hope WE ALL read this and act accordingly  ;)
Try not to become a person of success but rather a person of VALUE. - T. Harv Eker

Offline cloud9mission

• LGM Member
    • Ninja Drummist

« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2007, 09:44:26 AM »
What we are talking about here is musical literacy. in the stickies thread I wrote a post as king "How do you sign your musical name?... do you sign it with an "X"?"
Thats great man, Im gonna use that on my students when their reading gets lazy lol.

I guess Im one of the lucky ones that was taught to read very young. Drumming definatly got a whole lot easier after I learned to read. Now I can, Im no longer limited to just the fills and beats in my own reportoire when I practise. Its something Ive rarely used in the gigging situation as of yet but in the practise room, I couldnt do without it. Reading helps you to learn much faster than you would on your own.

The main reason Im glad I learned is to be able to write down and remember ideas. How many times have you written the greatest lick ever and forgotten it the next day?

Offline SabianKnight

• LGM Member
  • Art by C1... Thanx Bruh!

« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2007, 12:11:24 PM »
Thats great man, Im gonna use that on my students when their reading gets lazy lol.

I guess Im one of the lucky ones that was taught to read very young. Drumming definatly got a whole lot easier after I learned to read. Now I can, Im no longer limited to just the fills and beats in my own reportoire when I practise. Its something Ive rarely used in the gigging situation as of yet but in the practise room, I couldnt do without it. Reading helps you to learn much faster than you would on your own.

The main reason Im glad I learned is to be able to write down and remember ideas. How many times have you written the greatest lick ever and forgotten it the next day?

exactly....

Hopefully folks won't take what I said as a rant. It was not. I however would love to get opportunities like a Vinnie, Kenny Aronoff, Gadd etc... and that requires excellent sight reading. As you are playing and reading you are absorbing and growing a larger more flexible and articulate musical vocabulary. No more big line print tablets now you move into sprial notebooks and cursive, then stitched compositition books and hardback journals. I personally am going through a humbling rebuilding process to build a stronger and better musician/minstrel. In order for my students and the musicians I play witgh to grow I have to grow and encourage/support new growth/new life. 
Try not to become a person of success but rather a person of VALUE. - T. Harv Eker

Offline flamtapz

• LGM Member
  • dublife.

« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2007, 11:58:41 PM »
MUSICTHEORY.NET ...we use this in my theory class at school, pretty much everything on there

HumbleGospelDrummer

« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2007, 10:26:07 AM »
yo i love this thread, and i got somethin' for some of you, here you go:

http://216.103.111.115/perl/drums/index.cgi?WebPage=introcounting
Pages: [1]   Go Up