LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: proper way to voice a choir  (Read 1653 times)

Offline trinibassman

• LGM Member

proper way to voice a choir
« on: March 20, 2007, 12:56:56 PM »
Hi I would just like to know how do you properly voice a choir using a scale. for instance using the simple scale of c maj as well as c min please tell me where do i fit the soprano's altos and tenors using the scale and is it a standard way of doing it so it can be done on any scale?

Offline MrSparrow

• LGM Member

Re: proper way to voice a choir
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2007, 08:22:11 AM »
I have no idea what you are talking about.

?/?

Choirs don't sing scales in harmony, at least my choirs don't...

MrSparrow

Offline Formuzik

• LGM Member

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2007, 10:28:35 AM »
Basically, you must first find the melody of the song.  Most often the sopranos are on the melody.  The alto is voiced one third or fourth down from there, then the tenor treated the same in relationship to the alto.  That is the norm.  In more complex music that variation can change.

Formuzik

Offline bishopcole

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • YES INDEED!!! AND THATS A RAP!!!

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2007, 01:43:36 PM »
Hi I would just like to know how do you properly voice a choir using a scale. for instance using the simple scale of c maj as well as c min please tell me where do i fit the soprano's altos and tenors using the scale and is it a standard way of doing it so it can be done on any scale?

First of all, welcome to Lgm. Now, I need you to help me understand what you are looking to do with your choir so we can help you.  Bishop Cole
"Stay in God Always"  - Bishop Lamar Cole
"It's not about the Music, it's about the Ministry"

Offline trinibassman

• LGM Member

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2007, 02:22:11 PM »
Thanks formuzik i understand a bit more now but do you mean that the fourth down is the fourth degree on the scale or am i not using a scale? could you explain that fourth for me PLEASE.

Offline MrSparrow

• LGM Member

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2007, 03:39:49 PM »
Ok, trinibass,

Tell me a song you want to teach and I'll teach you how to harmonize it.

MrSparrow

Offline sjonathan02

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My heart

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2007, 03:58:50 PM »
Ok, trinibass,

Tell me a song you want to teach and I'll teach you how to harmonize it.

MrSparrow

Why would the song matter? Couldn't you just give him a basic outline?
Despite our communication technology, no invention is as effective as the sound of the human voice.

Offline LyricTenor

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Not ONE Muslim joke!! >:-(

« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2007, 04:25:18 PM »

Why would the song matter? Couldn't you just give him a basic outline?

::)

WEEEEEELLLLLLL, give him one Mr. Suggestion!!   ;) :D

Offline bradleymoorer

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Bringing da bass in Jesus name!!!
    • http://www.myspace.com/minbrad

« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2007, 12:08:05 AM »
First off welcome to LGM, YOU ARE WELCOME, my suggestion is similar to Formuzik's teach the melody line first that way their is a base to harmonize to. If you try to teach the harmony part firsrt you will find it a little harder to teach the remaining parts. The most important thing you can do is practice, practice, practice, until you are sure of all the parts. Choir parts are usually chords corresponding to the music played along so, if you play piano, use the chords to find where the parts are. For an example "Sound of Praise" Bishop Larry Trotter, for the part that goes "Jesus loves to hear the sound of Praise", the parts would be:

Je sus     loves    to   hear    the    sound    of     Praise
Sopranos:   Ab  G        F       Ab    G        G       Ab       G       Ab       which is the melody
Altos:         Eb  Eb      Eb      Eb    Eb      Eb      Eb      Eb       Eb       which makes it pretty
Tenors:      C    C        C        C     Bb       C       Db      Bb       C         which gives completes the sound

Let me know if this helps at all!
Peace!
Bradley AKA Bass Monkey

Offline trinibassman

• LGM Member

« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2007, 07:44:00 AM »
First off welcome to LGM, YOU ARE WELCOME, my suggestion is similar to Formuzik's teach the melody line first that way their is a base to harmonize to. If you try to teach the harmony part firsrt you will find it a little harder to teach the remaining parts. The most important thing you can do is practice, practice, practice, until you are sure of all the parts. Choir parts are usually chords corresponding to the music played along so, if you play piano, use the chords to find where the parts are. For an example "Sound of Praise" Bishop Larry Trotter, for the part that goes "Jesus loves to hear the sound of Praise", the parts would be:

Sopranos:   Ab  G        F       Ab    G        G       Ab       G       Ab       which is the melody
Altos:         Eb  Eb      Eb      Eb    Eb      Eb      Eb      Eb       Eb       which makes it pretty
Tenors:      C    C        C        C     Bb       C       Db      Bb       C         which gives completes the sound

Peace!
Thank you so much bass monkey that I think would help me a lot now. I am a bassist my self I am not great so maybe we can link up and you could teach me some things

Offline LyricTenor

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Not ONE Muslim joke!! >:-(

« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2007, 10:18:56 AM »

Peace!

I haven't a clue as to what you just said, BUT that breakdown looks BANGIN'!!  Good Post!!

Offline sjonathan02

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My heart

« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2007, 10:29:17 AM »
I haven't a clue as to what you just said, BUT that breakdown looks BANGIN'!!  Good Post!!

Dude, you have GOT to take a class or somethin'! Preesh!!  :-\
Despite our communication technology, no invention is as effective as the sound of the human voice.
Pages: [1]   Go Up