LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Fingers Placed  (Read 2232 times)

Offline Bronzee

• LGM Member
  • I'm a praiser!!
    • http://profiles.yahoo.com/bronzeey1

Fingers Placed
« on: August 03, 2003, 10:05:09 PM »
Ok, I have just one question. How long did it take for you all to play and not look down to see if the fingers were placed correctly{memorizing where they should go}  for the LEFT HAND..I can play and not look down for the right hand..thats no problem. Is there any practice routine that works the best to make improvements for this ? Thanks everyone. :roll:

Offline B3Wannabe

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

Fingers Placed
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2003, 05:26:07 AM »
I think the easiest way to learn this is to learn all the different variations of tri-tones for each chord, starting with 3-b7. You're probably already playing this. If so, then try partial or full chords. If you play the organ this is easier to learn, in my opinion, because then you can play the bass with your feet and practice playing songs with just your left hand and foot. When doing this, however, you'll probably start out playing the same thing that your right hand would play, but the object, ultimately, is to play harmonizing chords. To get a basic of this, you should start out listening to other groups that have advanced musicians.

Offline thekeynote

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
    • http://www.lisamholden.com

Re: Fingers Placed
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2003, 01:01:20 PM »
Quote from: Bronzee
Ok, I have just one question. How long did it take for you all to play and not look down to see if the fingers were placed correctly{memorizing where they should go}  for the LEFT HAND..I can play and not look down for the right hand..thats no problem. Is there any practice routine that works the best to make improvements for this ? Thanks everyone. :roll:

Good responses from B3WannaBe.  Sounds to me like you a "Already BE" and not a "Wanna BE"  8O  :D !!

To answer your question from my perspective --- I was not "anointed" to just play immediately like so many people who are church musicians seem to do.  Read music.  If you don't know how to, learn.  You can't read the music and look at your hands at the same time...lol.  I direct, play, and sometimes read charts all at the same time.  I mostly play by ear at church, unless it's a complicated song for me.  

When I used to teach piano lessons, I would hold a book over the student's hands so they couldn't stare at their hands.  Glancing down--sure, I still do that.  But staring and watching each move is not good.  How are you going to entertain the crowd while you're staring at your hands?...lol.  

Practice, read music, and just force yourself to focus on a spot across the room, then play a song you already know without looking at your hands.  GLANCE occasionally, but not fixated on them as if your hands can't move unless your eyes are focused on them.  

Be Blessed!
Lisa
www.lisamholden.com
If "seeing is believing", try believing without seeing!

Offline Bronzee

• LGM Member
  • I'm a praiser!!

Fingers
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2003, 09:56:05 PM »
Thanks for enlighted what wannaBE..I should B LOL..I understand this a little more clearly Lisa..I thinking on this alot and i kow sometimes when my left fingers are where they shouldn't B cause u know the annoying sounds u get when u hit the wrong key.  I am trying to figure out where does the hand should start at..on the base line...I have notice some songs..its a walking...then jazzy,, or just the plan single keys or chords or whatever u wanna call it. For instance Richard Smallwood.."nothing without your love.."  It a jazzy song..and its in Eb and the key signature changes to Db...well, the bass lines is..over an octave and some of Richards sheet music...and player can not just place there left hand and fix a certain position to rememorize{or by the fingering system l,3, or 5} whats the name of the key and the position the hand is suppose to be in....a person have to constantly change positions...i am trying to figure this out...I hope that u understand what iam trying to say here LOL. Oh, and every now and than..I do look down..to make sure my hands are playing the real thang.  :lol:

Offline Long Fingers

• LGM Member

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2003, 06:39:05 AM »

That's a great question that you asked. Speaking for myself, I really don't know how long it took me to play without realizing I wasn't looking at my fingers, it just hit me one day out of the blue, "oh... I played that while looking over yonder, or with my eyes closed, ect." The one thing that I can say that would apply to everyone is that if you continue to practice 2 hours a day or more for everyday, that playing without looking at your fingers will just come to you, because your fingers and your mind are familiar with what notes you play...and do you know why??(not really referring to you Bronzee, but to anyone..lol) because you PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE...lol, that's all to it.

Offline thekeynote

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
    • http://www.lisamholden.com

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2003, 09:00:30 AM »
Quote from: Long Fingers

That's a great question that you asked. Speaking for myself, I really don't know how long it took me to play without realizing I wasn't looking at my fingers, it just hit me one day out of the blue, "oh... I played that while looking over yonder, or with my eyes closed, ect." The one thing that I can say that would apply to everyone is that if you continue to practice 2 hours a day or more for everyday, that playing without looking at your fingers will just come to you, because your fingers and your mind are familiar with what notes you play...and do you know why??(not really referring to you Bronzee, but to anyone..lol) because you PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE...lol, that's all to it.

LOL...in over 30 years, I have never practiced 2 hours at a time.  Now, I just don't have the time (or desire) to practice 2 hours a day.

Bronzee---LongFingers is right---practicing it is the only way around it.  Again, take a song you know in stages---play the hardest part looking at your hand, and then look across the room or close your eyes and try it.  Take it in sections at a time.  That's my advice.  

Lisa
www.lisamholden.com
If "seeing is believing", try believing without seeing!

Offline Bronzee

• LGM Member
  • I'm a praiser!!

Fingers Placed
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2003, 09:51:13 PM »
Ok..the mind work with the fingers. why do i have to take the most difficult part of the song..and look across the room?  Can I just use the same song all the time to practice with the left hand if i want to? { i will use other songs too.}.  I use to wonder how my fingers would go to the correct chord or note without thinking about it..now i kow...Hey, this is really helpful here..2 heads are better then one.. :P
Pages: [1]   Go Up